1313 posts
2664 upvotes
Montreal

[Dollarama] X-Acto - Vacuum Mount Pencil Sharpener - $4

Price:
Retailer:
Dollarama
More offers from Dollarama
Wasn't sure if i wanted to post this but it is a deal and there was recently a bunch of you guys buying Staedtler graphite pencils from dollarama.
Reference: dollarama-96-staedtler-graphite-pencils-4-2308299

So here is a nice pencil sharpener to go with the pencils.
The base has a vacuum mount, advertises itself as the #1 brand, with a long blade life.

Walmart has them at 8.97$ (not sure if packaging is older and the dollarama one is newer and has a superior blade, or just marketing).
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/elmers-x-a ... 0122781023
Amazon has it for 18.17$
https://www.amazon.ca/X-ACTO-Bulldog-Va ... B000GP01US

Spotted in dollarama on Wellington Street.

IMG_20191021_185341.jpg
9 replies
Jun 11, 2003
478 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
I have this model though not from the dollar store.

The sharpening head is great metal construction, and if cuts really well; everything else is plastic, and the unit flexes when you turn the handle. The suction works but again it's plastic so has some give. I broke the shaving container due to it being.... plastic.. (surprise).

4$ you can't go wrong... buy an extra one as a spare.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13895 posts
5487 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aesop wrote: I have this model though not from the dollar store.

The sharpening head is great metal construction, and if cuts really well; everything else is plastic, and the unit flexes when you turn the handle. The suction works but again it's plastic so has some give. I broke the shaving container due to it being.... plastic.. (surprise).

4$ you can't go wrong... buy an extra one as a spare.
Yup, we have this exact one bought from Walmart... first thing to break is the plastic container. The backing separated from the rest of the container and made a huge mess. Other than that, the suction mount holds the sharpener in place and works fairly well.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2008
1490 posts
588 upvotes
I guess I was the only one expecting this to be a pencil sharpener that uses a vacuum cleaner as a dust extractor.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1040 posts
2276 upvotes
majikstic wrote: I guess I was the only one expecting this to be a pencil sharpener that uses a vacuum cleaner as a dust extractor.
I was thinking even worst. I was pretty sure this was a pencil sharpner powered by a vacuum (to make it spin automatically)

Then I clicked and bah..
Thanks OP, bought 25!
(Mod edit: You are awesome)
Apr 2, 2015
349 posts
472 upvotes
Siberia
Dollarama at box Grove has an electric one from the same company for $4 too. Looks like this model

Amazon x-acto.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13895 posts
5487 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jone19 wrote: Dollarama at box Grove has an electric one from the same company for $4 too. Looks like this model

Amazon x-acto.
We got a similar one from Living.ca and it's not that great. Being battery powered, it's not powerful enough. The manual/hand crank version will work a lot better than the battery one.
Jul 23, 2006
522 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Costco just 8 bucks, you get 50 pencils and sharpener,
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
I have so many pencils to be sharpened
Sharpen all yeart long
Thanks op
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1088 posts
563 upvotes
GTA
Had the battery operated Buzz, but it would just spin in my daughter's hand. Just picked this one up and it's working great so far, vacuum hasn't failed, the only issue is the 1 hole opening, instead of the rotating many holed dial. None of my triangular shaped pencil crayons fit in it.