Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.

The Dolphin tells it like it is....

Ok, I don't know how many people have asked me to make a thread somewhere detailing... stuff. So here it is, in the most appropriate place I could think to put it. In this thread I will post information that I think is pertinant to blank media sales in Canada. Feel free to ask me questions, but don't get pissed off if I say I don't know, or refuse to answer if I feel the question is to personal or unwarrented.

So, to start this little thread off, I would like to let everyone know that unless there is a truckers strike in California on Monday, we can expect Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs to start hitting the shelves maybe as early as July 6th.

Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs are *not* compatible with the Plextor 712a at this time (firmware 1.02). I know there is a new firmware that will be released soon, so we'll have to see if this resolves the issues.

Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs appear to have issues with the LiteON LDW-411s with FS0J firmware and previous firmwares. So far there appears to be no way to get the LiteON LDW-411s to burn Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs at 4x without the quality having severe problems. The Plextor 712a is even worse with Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs, and will likely fail mid burn.

Optodisc 4x DVD+Rs don't seem to be that good at all, but this is heavily drive dependant, as the Plextor 712a seems to be able to burn them almost ok. The Plextor 712a also does an ok job with Optodisc 8x DVD+Rs.

The above statements are not to say that Optodisc 4x and 8x DVD-Rs are not good discs, I'm just trying to outline what drives should not be used in conjunction with the media. As for Optodisc 4x DVD+Rs... I would not suggest buying them at this time... the Optodisc 8x DVD+Rs are much better then the 4x DVD+Rs, but still need better drive support.

I have begun working with Ritek's 8x DVD-Rs and 8x DVD+Rs lately, but suffered a critical system failure and had to buy a new motherboard, PSU, and Videocard, as well as wipe my HDD. Luckily nothing was lost (of any significance) and as soon as I get a new Video card, I'll have my computer set aside for burning up and running again... expect this to happen sometime in the next week or two.

In other news, it seems Artec is soon going to be releasing a 12x DVD+R burner of their own... except that it can't burn *ANY* media at 12x yet... and all the stuff it burns at 8x has serious playback issues. So umm, watch out for "hot deals" when this drive finally hits the market ;)

-The Digital Dolphin
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
4641 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
That's true.... but for the moment I can't justify the $2,000 or so price tag ;)

Also, the Blue Ray recorders are supposed to be backward compatible.. so this will help greatly in making it the new media of choice. As for HD-DVD, I think it's a joke. I don't care if it's the offical standard, it's less versatile, smaller, just not overly impressive. But we'll just have to wait and see what happens...
DVD
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1908 posts
491 upvotes
Since Dolphin seems to be the media expert maybe you can share with us if there's any truths to these rumours:

1) Prodisc DVD-R prices will be going up because they have just passed Pioneer Class A labs testing and are now considered Grade A media.

2) Ritek G04 media are to be discontinued and will be replaced by RitekM02 media. M for Mitsubishi so they'll be using Azo Dye. This change could of been because of the recent batch of bad G04 discs that have been circulating.

3) Good Ritek G04 media come in red "Ridata" wrapping, the bad G04 media comes in spindle with case.

Thanks,
-LeeBear
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2002
4274 posts
299 upvotes
Hamilton
I haven't read anything about the Blue Ray, only heard stuff, however what do you think about it being the ticket for rugged portable computing. I know you'd still have to protect the lasing mechanism, but if you went mini-disc size it would certainly seem more rugged than tha smaller hard disks (ie mini-ipod)

Hey have you thought about adopting the Stone Cold-like motto?

[QUOTE]And that's the DVD bottom line! 'Cause Digital Dolphin said so[/QUOTE]

:)
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4865 posts
188 upvotes
GTA
Just for the record, it's "Blu-ray". [/anal]
Rock it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
LeeBear wrote:Since Dolphin seems to be the media expert maybe you can share with us if there's any truths to these rumours:

1) Prodisc DVD-R prices will be going up because they have just passed Pioneer Class A labs testing and are now considered Grade A media.
No, Prodisc prices will go up because they were stupid and quoted too low on a couple of big deals and lost money... they passed the Pioneer certification a LONG time ago (well, for THIS industry), and it never really affected prices to my knowledge. We may not see the price increase on the consumer level, since most dealers never see these kind of prices anyways (not even me!), only big retail chains will notice, and it won't affect their selling price I would guess.
LeeBear wrote: 2) Ritek G04 media are to be discontinued and will be replaced by RitekM02 media. M for Mitsubishi so they'll be using Azo Dye. This change could of been because of the recent batch of bad G04 discs that have been circulating.
Yup, not only this, but the G05 is also being discontinued in favour of a Fuji Film dye type (it'll be the G06). As to WHY this is happening, that is a very closely guarded secret at this time... so I'm still confirming and learning all the details ;)
LeeBear wrote: 3) Good Ritek G04 media come in red "Ridata" wrapping, the bad G04 media comes in spindle with case.
This is basically BS. You can get good or bad Ritek in any packaging... but the actual branded media is more likely to be lower grade, since they can cover cosmetic defects with the branding, and sell a lower grade disc as 'A' grade (something Ritek is becoming famous for!).

Hope that helps fill in some of the blanks! ;)
DVD
May 20, 2004
717 posts
719 upvotes
whatup DD, a couple questions:

1) I bought a Aopen 8x8 DVD burner and now am kinda regreting since after i started learning more and media/burners for dvds, that the dual layer dvd burners would be more futureproof. i heard the BenQ are going to release firmware so that they can burn dual layer media, do you think Aopen could/would do the same thing?

2) What is the best deal on media out there (bang for your buck)?

3) when is your new review site gonna finaly take off :evil: :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
bigdaddyyc wrote:whatup DD, a couple questions:

1) I bought a Aopen 8x8 DVD burner and now am kinda regreting since after i started learning more and media/burners for dvds, that the dual layer dvd burners would be more futureproof. i heard the BenQ are going to release firmware so that they can burn dual layer media, do you think Aopen could/would do the same thing?
I don't know why you're regretting it? The Aopen 8x8 is either an OEM Nec-2500a which can be upgraded to the NEC 2510a which is a dual layer burner, or it is a Pioneer DVR-107 which will not be upgradable to dual layer, but is still a darn good drive! If your model number ends in AAN, then it's an NEC, if it's APP, then it's the Pioneer :D
bigdaddyyc wrote: 2) What is the best deal on media out there (bang for your buck)?
For your drive.... hrm. If it's the Pioneer, then go crazy on Optodisc man, cause those things go together better then dolphins and tuna ;) If it's the NEC, I don't know how the Optodisc will react (since I don't have one) so I'd suggest looking for more deals on the Maxell media (which would work fine on the Pioneer too!). I hope to own an NEC 2500a in the nearish soonish, so hopefully I'll be able to better answer this question in the next few weeks :)
bigdaddyyc wrote: 3) when is your new review site gonna finaly take off :evil: :cheesygri
That is without a doubt the hardest question I've been asked here in the last while... the honest answer is I don't know. If it could be up and running tomorrow, it would be! It's basically up to my webdesigner. But I can promise that when it does go live, it'll be awesome!

I've been working with the authors of DVDInfoPro so that the new versions to come will be perfect for my needs. If all goes well, you will be able to see multiple media tests graphed against each other on the same table, instead of multiple screenshots from various software types :D

Umm, one thing I should mention though. *WHEN* my site goes up again, it's going to cause some controversy, because I will not be using the rather flawed and in my opinion VERY misleading testing methods used by some big name drive review sites. So we'll have to see what happens ;)
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
47 upvotes
Burnaby
thanx for your time digital dolphin, everyone has been praising you for the right reason :cheesygri

how are the optidisc 4x DVD+R with the plextor 708A?

i got a free artec 52x CD burner at artec's computex booth
had to yell out "artec artec go go go"....

:lol:

ill try it out and see how the overburn on that baby is
the quality of their product doesnt impress me
looks like most of their stuff are lower technical difficulty but of course higher than those flash thumbdrives...
btw artec is selling digital TV box in taiwan for wireless reception
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2002
1668 posts
219 upvotes
Hey, great thread!

What are your thoughts on the 4040B? Any media I should avoid? I bought this drive to hold me over until we get a couple generations into the dual format burners. Also, whats your opinion on DVD-RAM ?
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3050 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
Here's another thanks DD for all the info you have provided...it's greatly appreciated! :)

I'm also curious to hear your thoughts on DVD-RAM as well. Also, which DVD burner would you recommend to someone who is in the market right now?

Thanks in advance!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
thanx for your time digital dolphin, everyone has been praising you for the right reason

how are the optidisc 4x DVD+R with the plextor 708A?

Hrm... well I know that most drives gag on Optodisc 4x DVD+Rs, but the Plextor 712a burns them almost ok... give me a little more time to play with them and my Plextor, and I'll give you more of an opinion, k?
i got a free artec 52x CD burner at artec's computex booth
had to yell out "artec artec go go go"....

ill try it out and see how the overburn on that baby is
the quality of their product doesnt impress me
looks like most of their stuff are lower technical difficulty but of course higher than those flash thumbdrives...
btw artec is selling digital TV box in taiwan for wireless reception

Hrm, Artec is a very poor quality manufacturer, I wouldn't suggest trusting their drives even as far as you can throw them (you could probably lug one a fair distance...)

Regarding Ritek DVDRs, aside from the link in my signiture, here's something that a friend of mine put together:
http://www.aviationwiz.net/masrd.htm
As you can see, the Mountains and Streams Ritek media is very poor quality, so I would highly suggest avoiding it! Although I haven't seen it in Canada yet, that doesn't mean it won't show up.
DVD
May 20, 2004
717 posts
719 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:I don't know why you're regretting it? The Aopen 8x8 is either an OEM Nec-2500a which can be upgraded to the NEC 2510a which is a dual layer burner, or it is a Pioneer DVR-107 which will not be upgradable to dual layer, but is still a darn good drive! If your model number ends in AAN, then it's an NEC, if it's APP, then it's the Pioneer :D

For your drive.... hrm. If it's the Pioneer, then go crazy on Optodisc man, cause those things go together better then dolphins and tuna ;) If it's the NEC, I don't know how the Optodisc will react (since I don't have one) so I'd suggest looking for more deals on the Maxell media (which would work fine on the Pioneer too!). I hope to own an NEC 2500a in the nearish soonish, so hopefully I'll be able to better answer this question in the next few weeks :)
I checked and its AAN (NEC)... dont think im done with the questions though :lol:

1) How to upgrade to dual layered?

2) I've also noticed my Maxell TY media burning around 8x speeds (10min FULL burns). Is this common for the NEC to go faster than its rated, or is it my media?

and thanks alot for all your help, this thread was a great idea but expect allllottt of questions as everyone is looking for burning advice around here.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Defiant wrote:Hey, great thread!

What are your thoughts on the 4040B? Any media I should avoid? I bought this drive to hold me over until we get a couple generations into the dual format burners. Also, whats your opinion on DVD-RAM ?
Th 4040B is a pretty good drive, albeit VERY slow! It has the habit of burning media about half the speed it is rated for. I believe it burns Optodisc 4x DVD-Rs at 4x with the latest firmware. It also burns Ritek media at full speed. Not sure about too much else. If you don't mind burning a lot of stuff at 2x, then this drive is pretty good.

What do I think of DVD-RAM? I think it's the single most powerful format available on the consumer market at this time. It is totally underrated, and very impressive when used for it's main purposes. It's slow as heck (even 5x is slow!) but it's VERY high quality, and very durable when left in its' cartridge. When taken out of its' cartridge it is still good, but very easy to damage (take GOOD care of it!). And who can complain about 100,000 re-writes compared to only 1,000 (as DVD-RW and DVD+RW boast, but never seem to accomplish).

What are the best drives that I'd recommend? Hrm, I'm pretty partail to the Pioneer DVR-107, even without the hacked firmware it is bloody awsome! The LG 4120B also looks like it'll be quite good (and I love that 5x DVD-RAM ;) ). The NEC 2500a / 2510a also seems to be a popular choice (*USE* the hacked firmware!), although I havn't used it personally.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
This should help with the NEC 2500 -> 2510a conversion :D
http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?t=25904

Enjoy!

re: Maxell and T.Y. it sounds like they're being burned at 6x, that isn't a problem generally. It's much easier to burn 4x media at 6x then it is at 8x ;)
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
Thinking of getting the ND-2510A (Black) (129 right now at ncix), there wouldn't be any need to run hacked firmware on that right?

Anyplace with good bargains on good media for that? I see ncix has 25 optidisc for 18.99..
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
othy wrote:Thinking of getting the ND-2510A (Black) (129 right now at ncix), there wouldn't be any need to run hacked firmware on that right?

Anyplace with good bargains on good media for that? I see ncix has 25 optidisc for 18.99..
Ironically, that's the drive I've been thinking of picking up myself! I don't know how the Optodisc DVDRs work on it though, so I can't say one way or the other. One thing I *DO* know about the drive, is that if you aren't running the hacked firmware, don't even think about using Ritek, it will suck. For some reason NEC 2500/2510a's always have problems with Ritek media, when not running Herrie's hacked firmware for it. Herrie worked very hard on it, and it does a pretty impressive job of fixing the problem I'm told... however even slight variations of media can still result in poor Ritek burns with that drive.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
47 upvotes
Burnaby
DD,

im so surprised by your wealth of recordable media knowledge
thank you for answering my questions first of all

i have some questions about PX-708A
can that plextor be hacked into burning dual layer?

also are there any hacked firmwares that allow it to burn DVD-R at 8X?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Evil Techie wrote:DD,

im so surprised by your wealth of recordable media knowledge
thank you for answering my questions first of all
Umm, thanks... it comes at a price though (= no personal life)
Evil Techie wrote: i have some questions about PX-708A
can that plextor be hacked into burning dual layer?
Nope, not gonna happen. Plextor is very particular about the way they support their product. They make excellent firmware and software revisions, but the specs of the drive always stay the same. There will be no dual layer upgrade for the Plextor, and it is VERY unlikely anyone will pul off a successful dual layer burning hack.
Evil Techie wrote: also are there any hacked firmwares that allow it to burn DVD-R at 8X?
Hrm, I'm sure it's technically possible... but I don't think it'll happen. Plextor firmwares don't exactly have a reputation for being hacked. Still, that isn't saying it isn't possible to do the hack, but I don't know of one being worked on either. Best I can really say is I don't know, but I doubt it.
DVD

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)