• Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
I purchased some MIJ Sony dvd+rw discs a couple of weeks ago from BestBuy and, according to DVD Decrypter, the mid is Sony-S11-00. I was just about to return them until I read this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
audit13 wrote:I purchased some MIJ Sony dvd+rw discs a couple of weeks ago from BestBuy and, according to DVD Decrypter, the mid is Sony-S11-00. I was just about to return them until I read this thread.
They're DEFFINATELY worth keeping :cheesygri
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
47 upvotes
Burnaby
where is the cheapest place to get the good SONYS11?
is it only MIJ?
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
audit13 wrote:I purchased some MIJ Sony dvd+rw discs a couple of weeks ago from BestBuy and, according to DVD Decrypter, the mid is Sony-S11-00. I was just about to return them until I read this thread.
oh man. u lucy SOB! :twisted: ;)

i've been lookin for'em for the past ~1/2 yr.... :!: :|
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
mahjongmaniac wrote:oh man. u lucy SOB! :twisted: ;)

i've been lookin for'em for the past ~1/2 yr.... :!: :|
I purchased them from the BestBuy at Laird and Eglinton when they were on sale for $5.99 for a 5-pack. There was one other MIJ 5-pack at the time but it had been opened. I went for the sealed discs instead. I guess I should have purchased the other package as well.
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
Here is what I have with the label saying made in Taiwan.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:SONY-D11-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Sony Recording Media Co.]
Manufacturer ID : [SONY]
Media Type ID : [D11]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
Am I correct in understanding that the D would mean Tiawan and S would mean Japan?
:D
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
RFD Junkie wrote:Here is what I have with the label saying made in Taiwan.

Am I correct in understanding that the D would mean Tiawan and S would mean Japan?
Are you reading the mid off a dvd+r ? I got the s11 off a mij dvd+rw disc.
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
audit13 wrote:Are you reading the mid off a dvd+r ? I got the s11 off a mij dvd+rw disc.
What is the Sony part number for the MIJ? My 5 pack DVD+RW that are MIT are 5DPW47L2.

I am assuming that the part numbers are the same but here is hoping.

I was using DVD Identifier to read the code on the disc and it came up D11.

So I just popped in the DVD+RW to see what came up and...

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+RW:RICOHJPN-W11-001]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+RW] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Ricoh Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [RICOHJPN]
Media Type ID : [W11]
Product Revision : [001]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1.6x-4x]
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]
Boy have I got a lot to learn. :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
The part # for my mij dvd+rw discs is also 5dpw47L2.

You had me worried with your first post. I thought I was seeing things :lol:
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
363 upvotes
Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a DVD burner, but I'm not really sure what's the best one, any recommendations for a best-bang for the buck burner? I'm thinking a BenQ 1640.
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
'[buck wrote:']Sony MIJ DVD+RW media is excellent, while Sony MIT DVD+RW is above average to good.

Sony DVD-/+R media (MIT) is for the most part good, but not excellent. If you can find MIJ Sony media though, you've got a winner on your hands, with MIJ DVD+R being Taiyo Yuden, and the MIJ DVD-R being made by Sony themselves in Japan. The chances of finding MIJ are very slim however...

Sony MIT is probably the best media you can currently buy B&M, excluding Verbatim, which is usually prohibitively expensive (almost $1/disc most of the time), seeing how all the MIJ stock has dried up everywhere.

If you can live with "shiny silver tops", I would get these
;)

and fyi, MIJ = made in Japan and MIT = made in Taiwan.
They have some Sony DVD-/+ RW in Sears Pickering Town Center (along with DVD-R) that are MIJ. I posted it in the hot deals section but kept getting negitive remarks that I thought contradited these ones. So in case some missed it in the hot deals section I wanted to say it here as well.
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
Blehh wrote:Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a DVD burner, but I'm not really sure what's the best one, any recommendations for a best-bang for the buck burner? I'm thinking a BenQ 1640.

I bought one (BenQ 1640) after reading DD review. I really like it. Especially when for the price you can pick it up for. Has been working fine with Sony DVD+R's. But my opinion is a nonprofessional newbie's opinion. :cheesygri

I got mine from [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]NCIX[/rfdlink] with a PM. (see previous posts)
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
1198 posts
363 upvotes
If I am getting a 1640, I'll prolly try CC at Pacific Mall first to save the shipping hazzle :P
Feb 23, 2002
638 posts
47 upvotes
Does the 1640 burn CD-RWs? I have not had any luck using my 1620 and CD-RWs. The burns fail everytime. No problem using an LG CD burner on another computer.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
pcguy wrote:Does the 1640 burn CD-RWs? I have not had any luck using my 1620 and CD-RWs. The burns fail everytime. No problem using an LG CD burner on another computer.
It's pretty bad with 32x CD-RWs, but it works on at least some 12x and 24x CD-RWs. I'd stick with Verbatim 12x CD-RWs if I were you. Maybe Ritek 12x CD-RWs.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
I've had no problems burning cd-rw discs with my Benq 1620. I've used Memorex, Imation, and Princo (4x and 10x). However, with my Nec 3520a, I always get a "power calibration" error when using the Imation 10x cd-rw discs.
Feb 23, 2002
638 posts
47 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:It's pretty bad with 32x CD-RWs, but it works on at least some 12x and 24x CD-RWs. I'd stick with Verbatim 12x CD-RWs if I were you. Maybe Ritek 12x CD-RWs.
THats what I am using "verbatim 12X" CD-RWs and I have yet to be able to burn to them in the 1620. Always gives me a failure message using Nero at 12x. The LG CD burner has no problems using Nero and this media.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22058 posts
10214 upvotes
Toronto
pcguy wrote:THats what I am using "verbatim 12X" CD-RWs and I have yet to be able to burn to them in the 1620. Always gives me a failure message using Nero at 12x. The LG CD burner has no problems using Nero and this media.
Have you tried writing at 10x ? My 1620 hasn't had any problems with the 24x Verbatim cd-rw discs.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)