• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Are you running the retail firmware or the OEM firmware right now?
I flashed the oem firmware to the BSLB firmware a little while back. Got it from a link from The Firmware Page. I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hacked firmware but a link to the Benq official firmware.

Seeing that Benq has released their latest firmware I tried to upgrade but for some reason it didn't work. I emailed Benq support so we'll see what happens.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
For those who has nf chipset based motherboard and have nf ide drivers installed, when flashing the 1640 firmware, if you experience hang after the flash is finished (the flash is completed and click ok to reboot message won't come up, it just hung) turn off your computer and on again, (don't do reset for bios won't detect your 1640, turn off/on will allow bios to redetect the drive) if you check your drive the flash looks like completed for it'll report having the new firmware version.

To be safe, uninstall nf ide drivers before flashing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
DD, can you share your insight on Fuji DL DVD+R with the Benq 1640 please, TIA
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
Cyber6 wrote:I have not had any problems with Fuji 8x DVD+R (Ritek003). Then again my burner (Pioneer DVR-109) has proven to be very forgiving of quality of media. The most "crapiest" media has burnt succesfully on this burner. :D :D

C.
But you forget that a "successfull burn" in itself is NOT the only thing you should look for.

It is how long the media lasts that should be equally if not more important.
vero95: :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
RFD Junkie wrote:I am still new with DVD burning as I have barely burnt even 10 disks yet.

My first experience was buying Sony MIT +R's.

Barely 10 discs and 2 coasters so far. That makes it a 80% success rate. NOT impressed.

As soon as I am done with these MIT I am going to get the MIJ's.

DD - Is this common for Sony MIT's?
What drive are you using? On an LG 4040B that'd be about right... or maybe a Samsung or Toshiba made drive.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:What drive are you using? On an LG 4040B that'd be about right... or maybe a Samsung or Toshiba made drive.
My LG 4040B likes Sony MITs 8x DVDR+.

Zero coasters so far.
Deal Addict
May 20, 2005
3044 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Montague wrote:But you forget that a "successfull burn" in itself is NOT the only thing you should look for.

It is how long the media lasts that should be equally if not more important.

Again.. my VIP data is in top of the line Taiyo Yuden CD's. My crap data.. and my kids friends crap data.. (media presentations for high school - homework).. burns with no problem.... So yes.. in this case.. I was looking for a DVD burner that could burn anything.

C.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Montague wrote:My LG 4040B likes Sony MITs 8x DVDR+.

Zero coasters so far.
You're lucky!! That things hates 90% of the media on the market. Stick with what you find works!
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:You're lucky!! That things hates 90% of the media on the market. Stick with what you find works!
Not 100% lucky. :cheesygri

I *have* had two coasters (both TY 4x media! :lol: ).

I generally stick to Grade "A" Optodiscs (4x) and "MIJ" 4x/8x spindles (and the MIT 4x Maxells) exclusively for this burner (the sonys were a gift from a friend).
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2005
1389 posts
3 upvotes
Could I ask a question regarding DVD-R?

What's the defect of DVD-R compare to DVD+R? Burning slower or sth?

Is the speed of 8x DVD-R same as speed of 8x DVD+R?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
apvm wrote:For those who has nf chipset based motherboard and have nf ide drivers installed, when flashing the 1640 firmware, if you experience hang after the flash is finished (the flash is completed and click ok to reboot message won't come up, it just hung) turn off your computer and on again, (don't do reset for bios won't detect your 1640, turn off/on will allow bios to redetect the drive) if you check your drive the flash looks like completed for it'll report having the new firmware version.

To be safe, uninstall nf ide drivers before flashing.
Thanks for the info. I don't have an nf chipset though.

I'm pissed right now because I just tried to burn a 350mb .avi file onto a cdrw and i'm getting a session fixation error.

I've done this many times in the past with no problems whatsoever. In fact, this is the first problem that i've had with my 1640.

I'm pissed that my attempts to flash the bsmb firmware has ended with errors and now it looks like my drive might be toast. :mad:

Benq hasn't gotten back to me about this problem yet. Don't think they are in any hurry. I suppose it could be worse. If my drive is toast then i'm out 50 bucks plus tax. This would leave a bad taste in my mouth and i'd consider getting another brand.

Never thought about it before but if you have a bad flash and you did everything "right" would your drive be covered under warranty with Benq?

*edit*

Did some testing ... and it looks like it's water under the bridge ... hopefully.

Looks like it was a media failure. Great timing though making me all paranoid and stuff. Swapped to another cdrw and everything was fine after that.

Still have a problem with flashing the BSMB firmware though.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Montague wrote:Not 100% lucky. :cheesygri

I *have* had two coasters (both TY 4x media! :lol: ).

I generally stick to Grade "A" Optodiscs (4x) and "MIJ" 4x/8x spindles (and the MIT 4x Maxells) exclusively for this burner (the sonys were a gift from a friend).
Maybe it's time to retire that burner ;)
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
gaore wrote:Could I ask a question regarding DVD-R?

What's the defect of DVD-R compare to DVD+R? Burning slower or sth?

Is the speed of 8x DVD-R same as speed of 8x DVD+R?
DVD+R usually burns a couple of seconds faster then DVD-R, but it depends on the drive (assuming both discs are burning at the same listed speed... i.e. both are burning at 8x or 12x or 16x).

There aren't really any significant differences between the media types anymore. DVD+R used to be faster (came out with 8x and 16x media first), but now DVD-R compares. DVD+R used to be really incompatible with players, but with bitsetting, and newer players this is less and less of a problem.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2004
9318 posts
204 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Maybe it's time to retire that burner ;)
Hey it still works (course so does my 2x CD burner/24x CD burner/52X CD burner).

My optical drives never seem to crap out - they just get obsolete! :lol:

And I got lots of blank 4x DVD 'MIJ" left (Blank DL disks still too expensive for my taste so I can wait).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
FWIW, I managed to update to firmware BSMB.

The culprit? Too many Virtual Drives from Alcohol 120%.

I use many Virtual Drives because of all my kid's game cd's. It's a royal pain to swap cd's in and out of the drive so it's just much easier to make an image of the originals and then Virtual Drive them. Quick and easy at the expense of hard drive space.

This was a suggestion from the mod over at another firmware site. Worked great ... but the strange thing is that I remember installing the previous BSLB firmware while having all these Virtual Drives present.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
miss_swan wrote:FWIW, I managed to update to firmware BSMB.

The culprit? Too many Virtual Drives from Alcohol 120%.

I use many Virtual Drives because of all my kid's game cd's. It's a royal pain to swap cd's in and out of the drive so it's just much easier to make an image of the originals and then Virtual Drive them. Quick and easy at the expense of hard drive space.

This was a suggestion from the mod over at another firmware site. Worked great ... but the strange thing is that I remember installing the previous BSLB firmware while having all these Virtual Drives present.
I try not to have more then 2 or 3 virtual drives running at a time... but even then I get annoyed at them eventually :P If I was a gamer, I'd use them more.

Glad to hear your problem is solved! You might want to e-mail BenQ about it and let them know what the problem was, so they can add it to their list of possible solutions for when other people call in.
DVD
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
The Digital Dolphin wrote:What drive are you using? On an LG 4040B that'd be about right... or maybe a Samsung or Toshiba made drive.
Sorry, I left that info out.

BenQ 1640
:D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5334 posts
780 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:I try not to have more then 2 or 3 virtual drives running at a time... but even then I get annoyed at them eventually :P If I was a gamer, I'd use them more.

Glad to hear your problem is solved! You might want to e-mail BenQ about it and let them know what the problem was, so they can add it to their list of possible solutions for when other people call in.
Yep, already did.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
RFD Junkie wrote:Sorry, I left that info out.

BenQ 1640
No, that's NOT usual for that drive.... especially since Daxon (a sister company to BenQ) is making the media!! Upgrade to BSMB firmware, and install QSuite 2.1. If need be, use SolidBurn when burning your Sony DVD+R media, but it really shouldn't need it.
DVD
Jul 27, 2005
125 posts
The Digital Dolphin wrote:No, that's NOT usual for that drive.... especially since Daxon (a sister company to BenQ) is making the media!! Upgrade to BSMB firmware, and install QSuite 2.1. If need be, use SolidBurn when burning your Sony DVD+R media, but it really shouldn't need it.
Thanks. I installed it. QSuite installed this time.
:D

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)