• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2003
1329 posts
1 upvote
Just a heads up, the 1655 is currently on sale at Futureshop for $69.99 (Boxing week sale), seems like a decent price so I picked one up. There is a huge pile of them at the Broadway Futureshop in Vancouver.

$73something at [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=28]ncix[/rfdlink] and none of the hanging around waiting for service usually involved there..

Looking forward to trying it out!
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3050 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
Arrggghh...lots of media on sale but so hard finding one that doesn't have bonding issues.

-Maxell's are either MIJ or MIT and then the MIT ones could be either CMC or Ritek
-Sony store has the Sony 25 pack DVDR's for $9.99 but the +R's seem to be MIJ TY's and I'm a bit unsure about the -R's after reading Dealmeister's post above :(
Dec 10, 2003
518 posts
154 upvotes
With the last 3 or 4 firmwares for the BenQ 1640, my Windows hangs when it tries to restart after flashing. So I have to push the reset button. The flash is fine, and there are no errors in the Event Viewer, but it's a little worrisome. Anyone else experiencing this?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
dealmeister wrote: i don't see any better bonding between fuji prodisc as compared to the sony TY's or the maxell MIJ's- or the maxelll cmc's either!! i did my own test & they layers on all the above snap apart with the same effort???
Fuji Prodisc SHOULD have decent bonding... probably the only Prodisc made media that is likely too. Any Taiyo Yuden's will have a chance of bad bonding. Maybe you've been lucky and haven't gotten a bad batch, but that doesn't mean you ALWAYS won't. The same is true for Maxell made in Japan (regular media). I haven't seen any poorly bonded CMCs, nor have I heard of any.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
'[buck wrote:']I sure can't recommend Fujifilm ProdiscF01. For that matter, I can't recommend any Prodisc made DVD-R.

My 6 month old Fujifilm ProdiscF01 are all starting to show very high PIE rates in the last few hundred MB. They'll probably be out of spec within a few months. Same thing goes for my Prodisc Verbatim MCC 02RG20.
Verbatim will likely replace the media... and actually, you SHOULD report it, so they know the problem exists. Too many people ignore these problems, or treat it as normal, but then Prodisc just gets away with making crap. More complaints will make it more likely that it won't happen again.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
lead wrote:So is the jist now that TAIYO YUDEN aren't the choice anymore cause of bonding and this goes with all MIJ but on the lighter side they still use the higher quality dye which is more durable for regular use(like a kid who can't keep his grubby hands off the incredibles back up I made). I found that the bonding on those benq daxon even show visible air pockets around the center ring which probably would be an issue in the future.So again whats the better choice better dye or better bonding when chosing disks.Meaning ritek or cmc depending on the manufacture? Is that what we need to consider?As for bonding say with the ty whether oxidation can or will happen we won't know for sure for a few years right?
Dye alone doesn't matter if the disc seperates in a matter of months (or less sometimes!). Even Acro Circle will hold up a lot better then some Taiyo Yuden out there :-0
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
wlee wrote:LoL :lol: u never bought any, right :cheesygri
No... I've bought a fair amount of media in the past... but I NEVER return bad media, because I prefer to study it ;)
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
aphextwin2050 wrote:what do you mean by bonding issue?
thanks! and you rock
If you can pull the two layers of plastic that make up a DVDR apart, with just your fingers and little effort, then the disc has bonding issues (the disc is also dead at this point :P). A disc with bonding issues means that the dye will oxidyze quicker then normal, and will die quickly. Media known to be REALLY bad for this is media made by Prodisc and media sold under the BenQ brand name. Taiyo Yuden is also having problems with bonding (but not as bad as Prodisc and BenQ!), and so does Maxell (but only their regular media, not their BQ or Plus Series DVD-Rs).
DVD
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Verbatim will likely replace the media... and actually, you SHOULD report it, so they know the problem exists. Too many people ignore these problems, or treat it as normal, but then Prodisc just gets away with making crap. More complaints will make it more likely that it won't happen again.
Alright, i'll get in touch with Verbatim than. It's too bad i've already canned alot of the bad discs.

And I hope they don't brush it off because i'm using a consumer scanner. :|
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
7-Endless wrote:Arrggghh...lots of media on sale but so hard finding one that doesn't have bonding issues.

-Maxell's are either MIJ or MIT and then the MIT ones could be either CMC or Ritek
-Sony store has the Sony 25 pack DVDR's for $9.99 but the +R's seem to be MIJ TY's and I'm a bit unsure about the -R's after reading Dealmeister's post above :(
I'm not sure what's up with Dealmeister... I've never heard of that happening before! :confused:
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Razor Leaf wrote:With the last 3 or 4 firmwares for the BenQ 1640, my Windows hangs when it tries to restart after flashing. So I have to push the reset button. The flash is fine, and there are no errors in the Event Viewer, but it's a little worrisome. Anyone else experiencing this?
Nope.... might want to post that on www.rpc1.org, since it's a site mostly dedicated to firmwares, you'll probably get some good responses quickly ;)
DVD
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
The Digital Dolphin wrote:If you can pull the two layers of plastic that make up a DVDR apart, with just your fingers and little effort, then the disc has bonding issues (the disc is also dead at this point :P). A disc with bonding issues means that the dye will oxidyze quicker then normal, and will die quickly. Media known to be REALLY bad for this is media made by Prodisc and media sold under the BenQ brand name. Taiyo Yuden is also having problems with bonding (but not as bad as Prodisc and BenQ!), and so does Maxell (but only their regular media, not their BQ or Plus Series DVD-Rs).
Just curious, are you now recommending CMC or Ritek Maxell media over their consumer Japanese stuff? I'm not sure i'd take Ritek over consumer grade Maxell... but maybe CMC.

One more question, many posts back you listed Sony MIJ media has having poor bonding. Were you referring Sony branded Taiyo Yuden, or MIJ Sony coded discs.

Oh yeah, and i've gotten in touch with Maxell about a spindle of poorly bonded DVD+Rs I have, we'll see if they want to do something about it.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2002
3050 posts
94 upvotes
Markham
'[buck wrote:']One more question, many posts back you listed Sony MIJ media has having poor bonding. Were you referring Sony branded Taiyo Yuden, or MIJ Sony coded discs.
DD was referring to the Sony branded TY MIJ discs. The MIJ Sony coded discs should be fine.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
'[buck wrote:']Just curious, are you now recommending CMC or Ritek Maxell media over their consumer Japanese stuff? I'm not sure i'd take Ritek over consumer grade Maxell... but maybe CMC.

One more question, many posts back you listed Sony MIJ media has having poor bonding. Were you referring Sony branded Taiyo Yuden, or MIJ Sony coded discs.

Oh yeah, and i've gotten in touch with Maxell about a spindle of poorly bonded DVD+Rs I have, we'll see if they want to do something about it.
I'm not recommending Ritek...

Regarding the Sony discs, I meant just the TY had the bad bonding.

If Maxell DOESN'T do something about it, PM me, and I'll fix it for you ;)
DVD
Nov 11, 2003
542 posts
194 upvotes
Scarb
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Well, Fuji brand Prodisc seems ok.... Maxell brand CMC is good. Sony *NOT TAIYO YUDEN* DVDRs are good. Avoid regular Prodisc, regular Maxell (made in Japan), and BenQ if you don't want bonding issues.

For best results, get the Maxell DVD-R Plus Series media [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=27]NCIX.com[/rfdlink] has on for sale. If it's too expensive, go for one of the ones I recommended above.
Are you referring to these?
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? ... ure=MAXELL
Price seems alright. I rather pay for quality~
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2005
2607 posts
3 upvotes
Ottawa
mannie511 wrote:thanks~ and it doesn't matter that it's silver thermal surface does it?
i usually just use CD/DVD marker. is that ok?
Yeah they're okay for markers. I personally don't like shiny silver discs because they're fingerprint magnets! :mad:
Nov 11, 2003
542 posts
194 upvotes
Scarb
'[buck wrote:']Yeah they're okay for markers. I personally don't like shiny silver discs because they're fingerprint magnets! :mad:
haha. that's why I wanted the white printed surface. at least less noticeable.
but since the silver tops are on sale. it's ok. Thanks for the heads up on the deal~
Nov 19, 2004
585 posts
1 upvote
The Digital Dolphin wrote:I'm not recommending Ritek...

Regarding the Sony discs, I meant just the TY had the bad bonding.

If Maxell DOESN'T do something about it, PM me, and I'll fix it for you ;)
If you're recommending CMC as a safer choice over MIJ, is there any way to identify CMC over Ritek with out opening the package?

Edit:
So I just checked the bonding on my Maxell MIJ that I bought this summer and was able to pull them apart in all of two seconds.

Here is a picture of what happened. Here is a picture of what looks like air pockets (around the very edge of the hub) that the whole spindle (100 +R) has. How would Maxell go about replacing the whole lot? Also, are the air pocket indicative of bonding issues or are they something else?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)