• Jul 24th, 2012 3:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I stopped by FS last night, found out all Maxell 8x media are MIJ, anybody knows the media code for +R and -R?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1261 upvotes
Georgetown
I hope this hasn't been covered recently... but I'm basically wondering when we can expect to see more dual layer media - and hopefully at reasonable prices? Any insights into this DD?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
wlee wrote:I stopped by FS last night, found out all Maxell 8x media are MIJ, anybody knows the media code for +R and -R?
It's made by Maxell themselves, I forget the code for the moment though. I've heard rumours of some Taiwanese media now too, but I don't know what code it is, or who makes it, or even if it's real :razz:
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
hey DD, i burnt a few movies on some memorex discs and some of them have glitchy parts in them. I dont wanna check ALL the memorex discs for glitchy parts... is there a program that can scan the disc for errors or glitchy parts? does nero cd/dvd speed do that?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
rahzel wrote:hey DD, i burnt a few movies on some memorex discs and some of them have glitchy parts in them. I dont wanna check ALL the memorex discs for glitchy parts... is there a program that can scan the disc for errors or glitchy parts? does nero cd/dvd speed do that?
Nero CD/DVD speed can sort of do that. What kind of burner do you have? Different burners will perform differently when CD/DVD speed scans the discs. The best thing to do might be to try a transfer rate test, and check for dips and bumps in the graph.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
i have an NEC 3520.

but doesnt a transfer test require for me to burn data on a disc? i only want to test the data on these discs, i dont have anymore of these and im gonna stay away from Memorex from now on (these are like the first DVD's ive ever bought).
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3722 posts
813 upvotes
Hey dolphin what is the best dvd burner out there at the moment?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
rahzel wrote:i have an NEC 3520.

but doesnt a transfer test require for me to burn data on a disc? i only want to test the data on these discs, i dont have anymore of these and im gonna stay away from Memorex from now on (these are like the first DVD's ive ever bought).
Nope, transer rate tests require a burned disc, so it'll be perfect for you :)

Memorex is generally not a great brand of media anyways though...
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
HammerJoe wrote:Hey dolphin what is the best dvd burner out there at the moment?
I've probably answered that question 10 times or more on this forum...but a link to my most recent answer is conveniently located in my signiture. Please have a look :)
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Memorex is generally not a great brand of media anyways though...
yeah i know, they were one of the first DVD's i bought since ive been burning (about a year and a half). I burnt several movies on them and didnt have time to check all of them and when i went to watch a few recently, they had glitchy parts. I wanted to find a better way then watching the entire movie for glitchy parts. I only stick with good-really good DVD media now.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2005
1249 posts
Hi DD. Sorry to bother you again.
My friend is offering to sell some Lite-On ( :confused: didn't know they make CD-Rs) CD-Rs to me. Traditionally, how do these compare to Ridata disks?

Thank you for very much!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
LiteON doesn't "make" CD-Rs... but they have had their brand thrown on them before. I expect they would either be made by Ritek or Prodisc.
DVD
Aug 11, 2003
434 posts
7 upvotes
wlee wrote:I stopped by FS last night, found out all Maxell 8x media are MIJ, anybody knows the media code for +R and -R?
I just bought some (Maxell DVD-R) this morning at Best Buy's Grand Opening Sale in Calgary for $9.99 plus GST for a spindle of 25. The Spindle is Manufactured by "Hitachi Maxell Ltd" and the media code is "MXL RG03" and is made in Japan. The speed is up to 8X. The disks themselves are shiny gold in color.

For those in Calgary, the Grand Opening sale at Best Buy is on untill March 20. They have a limit of 100 per store and 2 spindles per customer at Best Buy on the Maxell's. There was quite a mix of Made in Japan and Made in Taiwan disks. So, it is a luck of the draw on what will be left and what they might restock each day. They also have the Fuji 50 pack on sale for $19.00 as an unadvertised special for the Grand Opening. Their flyer that they handed out at the door on the unadvertised specials said limited quantities on the Fuji's. I did not see the Fuji's untill I was in the checkout, so I have no idea whether they are Made in Japan disks or not.

I did not buy any +R's

Albert
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2003
11234 posts
3800 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ans2 wrote:I just bought some (Maxell DVD-R) this morning at Best Buy's Grand Opening Sale in Calgary for $9.99 plus GST for a spindle of 25. The Spindle is Manufactured by "Hitachi Maxell Ltd" and the media code is "MXL RG03" and is made in Japan. The speed is up to 8X. The disks themselves are shiny gold in color.

For those in Calgary, the Grand Opening sale at Best Buy is on untill March 20. They have a limit of 100 per store and 2 spindles per customer at Best Buy on the Maxell's. There was quite a mix of Made in Japan and Made in Taiwan disks. So, it is a luck of the draw on what will be left and what they might restock each day. They also have the Fuji 50 pack on sale for $19.00 as an unadvertised special for the Grand Opening. Their flyer that they handed out at the door on the unadvertised specials said limited quantities on the Fuji's. I did not see the Fuji's untill I was in the checkout, so I have no idea whether they are Made in Japan disks or not.

I did not buy any +R's

Albert
this is a good deal! they can be burned at 16x in my new nec 3520, see http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews ... &PageId=13

fuji MIJ are good, 8x +r burned at 16x as well :lol:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
If anyone gets a spindle of the Taiwan made media, I'd love to buy some of the media off of them ;)
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7112 posts
472 upvotes
Oakville
Hey again DD....

I need to pick up a Dual Layer disc to burn something on my NEC 2500a hacked to 2510a. Which is the best dual layer media in terms of quality out there right now? Howabout for easily available media (like BB, FS, other major chain retailers)

Don't care about speed, just quality.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
Apr 25, 2003
36 posts
7 upvotes
Verbatim +R DL is your best bet..and easiest to find (Staples has them...but my gawd they want a lot of $$ for them!)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
As has been said, Verbatim is the #1 dual layer manufacturer. They're the only makers of dual layer media that can be burned on pretty much any dual layer burner, with decent to excellent results. Ritek media on the other hand, works properly in maybe 2 or at maximum 3 drives right now, and the rest have SERIOUS playback issues with the second layer, or even the first layer! :mad: Memorex is currently using Ritek's dual layer media. CMC, Philips, and Ricoh all have dual layer media as well, and Prodisc is just about ready to release their media. But finding ANY of it in Canada is next to impossible.

Don't forget to bitset your dual layer media when burning it! :cheesygri
DVD
Deal Expert
Sep 4, 2003
18713 posts
222 upvotes
Toronto
The Digital Dolphin wrote:If anyone gets a spindle of the Taiwan made media, I'd love to buy some of the media off of them ;)
MIT maxel?
For Sale:

HEATWARE
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2004
5180 posts
1273 upvotes
hey DD, i have a few questions about Bitsetting/bookmarking.

1) does the NEC 3520 support this? do i need a specific firmware?
2) how would i go abouts changing the booktype using DVDShrink and Nero to burn?
3) DVD Decrypter also has the option to change the booktype. I dont know if you use DVD Decrypter to change the booktype but you select the "Change For" and you select your media type (DVD+R, DVD+RW etc) but you can also select "Change For DVD+R/DVD+RW - (Temporary)". Whats the temporary for?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)