Shopping Discussion

Domestic shipping time for international packages? EBay, AliExpress etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2020 3:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2379 posts
873 upvotes
North York

Domestic shipping time for international packages? EBay, AliExpress etc.

Does anyone know how long shipping takes these days? How long did it take before covid?

I have a couple tiny packages that arrived in Canada, got through customs, and were handed over to Canada post over a month ago. A couple years ago I once waited for 3 months after Canada post had something AliExpress so I'm wondering if that's where things are at now.
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13359 posts
8330 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
2 months

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13030 posts
7096 upvotes
Toronto
i have some bike parts sitting in customs since Sept 3. Ordered from the UK.

I (stupidly) picked free shipping to save some $ and it's screwing me over.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13359 posts
8330 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
From China. After CP hand over, 1-2weeks.
quazy wrote: From China or after CP hand over? Thank you

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2379 posts
873 upvotes
North York
Swerny wrote: i have some bike parts sitting in customs since Sept 3. Ordered from the UK.

I (stupidly) picked free shipping to save some $ and it's screwing me over.
I ordered cheap electronic components and a toy on July 20, received by Canada Post August 13. Seller has until November 3 but still, wtf?
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14481 posts
11686 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Once thru CBSA / Canada Customs ... most stuff is moving pretty quickly these days

BUT ... there is most definitely a backlog at Customs (so before hand off to Canada Post)

Add to that ... there are some countries on the WATCH LIST so anything coming from them are far more scrutinized
Which makes that particular backlog from those places even longer
Apr 10, 2020
7 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver
I've made several orders from AliExpress in the last month. My orders from August 10th that were shipped via China Post or Cainao still haven't arrived, and they might not until October which I pretty much expect.

My orders from August 26th that were shipped via Aliexpress Standard Shipping or Epacket just updated yesterday that they've been released by customs and are being processed at Canada Post. They should be delivered to me by the end of the week.
Dec 31, 2005
272 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Jekari wrote: My orders from August 26th that were shipped via Aliexpress Standard Shipping or Epacket just updated yesterday that they've been released by customs and are being processed at Canada Post. They should be delivered to me by the end of the week.
These 2 shipping methods are definitely the way to go if you can Ali. China Post has alway been slow (like 1-3 months) even pre-Covid in my experience. Slowest order this year was a headphone cable ordered May 21 and arrived about 2 weeks ago. Fastest by a wide margin was a bike part that arrived in 8 days...but it was shipped from Mississauga (and I live in Toronto LOL).

Customs is definitely a wild card, totally hit or miss. Also depends are what you order too I find - things like soft goods (like bike clothes I've ordered alot) seems to get thru customs alot easier than electronics.
Sep 3, 2002
979 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
My Ali order is almost here, just shy of 4 months. Ali protection came and went. I thought I would get an email to extend it or something, but no.

It spent 2 months at the Singapore Airport. Just sitting there. I assumed it was actually in Canada, but stuck in a back log pile not getting processed.

I signed up for notifications on Canada Post, but these "item processed" messages are not triggering anything.

18 Sep 2020 23:51 Item processed Mississauga, ON
02 Sep 2020 10:47 Item processed Mississauga, ON
26 Aug 2020 22:35 Item processed, Mississauga, ON
25 Aug 2020 18:39 Item has arrived in Canada and will be presented for review Mississauga, ON
25 Jul 2020 09:42 International item has left originating country and is en route to Canada Sgsinb, Singapore
25 Jul 2020 01:42 Depart from transit country or district CAINIAO
27 May 2020 15:31 Hand over to airline CAINIAO
27 May 2020 02:36 Order information received by carrier CAINIAO
27 May 2020 02:36 Outbound in sorting center CAINIAO
27 May 2020 02:36 Received by line-haul CAINIAO
27 May 2020 01:53 Inbound in sorting center CAINIAO
27 May 2020 01:23 Accepted by carrier CAINIAO
25 May 2020 07:02 Order information received by carrier