Shopping Discussion

Dominion Stores Newfoundland no longer does price matching

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2022 3:12 pm
Jul 31, 2008
5 posts

Dominion Stores Newfoundland no longer does price matching

A Dominion Store in St. John's refused a price match, and when I checked with corporate customer service they advised that "Dominion currently does not provide customers with price matching for in-store or online purchases." Dominion is the brand used by Loblaws/Provigo/etc. in Newfoundland.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27802 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Chauncey wrote: A Dominion Store in St. John's refused a price match, and when I checked with corporate customer service they advised that "Dominion currently does not provide customers with price matching for in-store or online purchases." Dominion is the brand used by Loblaws/Provigo/etc. in Newfoundland.
Not a huge shock really

1- Only a very few chains in the PC+ Loblaws Group still are price matching
And
2- Price matching as a marketing tool is going the way of the Dodo Bird … esp since Covid
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
2354 posts
1998 upvotes
Halifax
PointsHubby wrote: Not a huge shock really

1- Only a very few chains in the PC+ Loblaws Group still are price matching
And
2- Price matching as a marketing tool is going the way of the Dodo Bird … esp since Covid
I am surprised Dominion stores had price matching. We have never had it with Atlantic Superstore in the NS, NB and PEI.

I forsee the end of price matching as well.
I think after Walmart stopping Price Matching - Loblaws was watching very carefully and looking for a way out as well.
I thought they might give it 12-18 months (after Walmart ) and then re-evaluate.

I expected they might do it one chain at a time and watch market share. But if no one else price matches in NL- not Sobey's or Costco... then most likely market share will not change much. Is there anyone besides Giant Tiger ?
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
4495 posts
3437 upvotes
London
once walmart ditched pm I'm surprised all the loblaws brand stores didn't do the same.