Automotive

Domino's Self-Driving Pizza Delivery Vehicle in Action in Las Vegas, NV.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2018 2:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8982 posts
1922 upvotes

Domino's Self-Driving Pizza Delivery Vehicle in Action in Las Vegas, NV.

Video quality is not great, however it's an example of what's yet to come with self-driving vehicles and how fast the technology is maturing.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=sroih_1538413044&p=1

What no tip required? Love the tablet mounted on the side and how the pizza is dispensed. I'd order a pie right now just to see this in person.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3477 posts
676 upvotes
Allenford
I hope it learns to pull in a driveway lol!
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4006 upvotes
Toronto
i know that eventually self driving cars will be more mature and better, but we are a loooooooOooooooong way.

the closest thing to self driving we are going to see is Trucks on highways, following straight routes from one depot to another.

residential streets, city streets, have to much going on.. factor in rain, traffic, pedestrians... I think we will see hybrid - human+AI driving together, before we see full on autonomous.

all these autonomous cars are in Las Vegas ---- dry weather... no rain... wide roads, wide streets. ..... perfect conditions... once you throw in rain, traffic, people, bicycles, snow, hail, smog that covers sensors.... fog...... tight roads.

anyway, it's coming, but it's a long way out.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9136 posts
2091 upvotes
Trump Uni Dropout
Omnibot was ahead of its time!

You only live twice ǝɔᴉʍʇ 😎
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8982 posts
1922 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote: Omnibot was ahead of its time!

They sold one of these on a show called "Auction Kings" complete with a box and it went for a shitload.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2986 upvotes
It looks a lot like the car was deliberately not moving waiting for a tip or something.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12324 posts
11128 upvotes
I don’t know about you guys but is it worth spending all that money on a car when a delivery guy makes next to nothing and has to maintain their own car?
Oct 25, 2010
105 posts
15 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Two thoughts:

1. Many people that order food in are mobility impaired, and will need it delivered to their door. This isn't going to help with that.
2. If it stopped in the road here like that one did, it would be creamed in no time flat.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8291 posts
7182 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: I don’t know about you guys but is it worth spending all that money on a car when a delivery guy makes next to nothing and has to maintain their own car?
Eventually it will be an EV.

Eventually all the bits to accommodate humans will be gone too.

Imagine something like this:

Except the CAB will be battery, drivetrain and all the AI bits.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
17659 posts
5750 upvotes
London
Sanyo wrote: I don’t know about you guys but is it worth spending all that money on a car when a delivery guy makes next to nothing and has to maintain their own car?
Eventually, the car itself will prepare the pizza and cook it while on route to you. It would only occasionally return to the shop to reload supplies and recharge
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4006 upvotes
Toronto
Specially people in condos.
If I need to ride the elevator to get the food I might as well just go out myself and save the delivery fee

What's the incentive for this?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)