• Dec 29th, 2019 5:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
832 posts
299 upvotes

Domtar.

Anyone in this dog? I thought maybe their consumer staples business might keep them buoyant. but I guess they're about to go bust with the rest of the pulp industry.
4 replies
Jun 28, 2018
942 posts
673 upvotes
Toronto
kilburn305 wrote: Anyone in this dog? I thought maybe their consumer staples business might keep them buoyant. but I guess they're about to go bust with the rest of the pulp industry.
I was kind of tempted by this a few months ago.

Interesting, declared for last quarter: dividend increase. Share buyback.

Thing is, for sales Paper & Pulp up $1,096MM ($805 + $291) of sales while Consumer Staples (Personal Care) is 237MM, which is even less than Pulp.

Consumer Staples is only 17.77% of total Sales. Not enough to really drive anything, but helps with diversifying and I guess there are synergies.

https://www.domtar.com/sites/default/fi ... slides.pdf
The Distracted Investor

Dividends through quality companies 😃 Though I usually lose money with trades :facepalm:
[OP]
Aug 16, 2015
832 posts
299 upvotes
I only put a bit more than 1 grand in it. I guess I'm averaging down. not happy with my 56 cad buy in price tho after this disaster quarter.
Dec 23, 2019
2 posts
Since Domtar is based in the US and dividend payments are being made in US dollars, does the 15% withholding tax apply to dividends for UFS.TO?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1077 posts
577 upvotes
Toronto
frantic wrote: Since Domtar is based in the US and dividend payments are being made in US dollars, does the 15% withholding tax apply to dividends for UFS.TO?
Currency has nothing to do with it. But Domtar's stock would have 15% withholding (Except in RSP), and you'd pay taxes on it like it was interest (when held in a cash account).