Mar 31, 2017
1605 posts
915 upvotes
Burnaby

Donate $25 To Burnaby Hospital, Get $25 Metrotown Gift Card

Deal Link:
Expiry:
August 24, 2020
I realize this isn't a deal for most of you but for those of you that it applies to...I really hope you take part in it

Basically, when you donate $25 to Burnaby Hospital through the above link, Metrotown Mall Guest Services will give you an equivalent $25 Metrotown GC when you show ID + email confirmation of donation

In other words, you're basically trading your cash for a Metrotown GC while making a kind donation at the same time

Only condition is that you can only do this once per day per person (also you can only pick up the GCs on certain dates depending on which day you make the donation - details in the link) and only until the donation target is met. Oh and every $20 donation above the $25 GC amount is eligible for tax receipt as well
Thread Summary
Metrotown stores that accept gift card - https://metropolisatmetrotown.com/en/stores/?giftCard=1
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
5323 posts
3913 upvotes
Vancouver
Interesting. I wonder will this donation be eligible for Amex Shop Small....

Ron.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1605 posts
915 upvotes
Burnaby
No idea and unfortunately I can't test either as I've already maxxed out my shop small transactions
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1766 posts
9562 upvotes
Awesome campaign and deal - too bad it means I'd have to set foot in Metrotown.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3149 posts
641 upvotes
Vancouver
Metrotown isn't as bad as I thought. I went this past Sunday around 5pm ish and it was pleasant enough. Mall was a bit sparse. But then again, I didn't go to the food court or Superstore.

Donated the $25, thanks OP!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15317 posts
8191 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I'm assuming that since the Burnaby Hospital Foundation is a registered charity, the standard tax deduction for the donation would also apply.
Apr 26, 2005
82 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: I'm assuming that since the Burnaby Hospital Foundation is a registered charity, the standard tax deduction for the donation would also apply.
Only for donations $45 and over will you receive a tax receipt, see text copied from link below:

Donate a minimum of $25 to the Burnaby Hospital Foundation.

Donations of $20 or more, over and above the $25 Gift Card amount, are eligible for a tax receipt, which will be mailed separately to the address provided (i.e. $45 donation would provide a $20 tax receipt and a $25 gift card).

Donations are only accepted via online. We are unable to accept in-person donations.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15317 posts
8191 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
dave009 wrote: Only for donations $45 and over will you receive a tax receipt, see text copied from link below:

Donate a minimum of $25 to the Burnaby Hospital Foundation.

Donations of $20 or more, over and above the $25 Gift Card amount, are eligible for a tax receipt, which will be mailed separately to the address provided (i.e. $45 donation would provide a $20 tax receipt and a $25 gift card).

Donations are only accepted via online. We are unable to accept in-person donations.
That's still a pretty good deal if you consider that the first $25 is basically a free donation if you were going to spend it at Metrotown anyways so you are really paying $20 for a $45 donation or about a $9.03 tax credit (at the base 15% Federal rate + BC credit).
Aug 5, 2010
174 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The target is for $40,000, so it's basically Metrotown donating $40k to the hosipital, plus all the gift card related transactions fee.
Jun 28, 2019
180 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver
So this gift card can be used anywhere in the mall? Also can you donate 20 and get 25?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9541 posts
1678 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: That's still a pretty good deal if you consider that the first $25 is basically a free donation if you were going to spend it at Metrotown anyways so you are really paying $20 for a $45 donation or about a $9.03 tax credit (at the base 15% Federal rate + BC credit).
I don't think they can legally give you a $45 tax receipt, since you're getting something ($25 GC) in return. I think they are limited to $20 in that case.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9541 posts
1678 upvotes
Vancouver
Bertuzzi44 wrote: So this gift card can be used anywhere in the mall? Also can you donate 20 and get 25?
Yes and no. You donate $25 to get $25. You donate $45 to get $25 plus a tax receipt for $20.
Apr 26, 2005
82 posts
164 upvotes
Vancouver
Bertuzzi44 wrote: So this gift card can be used anywhere in the mall? Also can you donate 20 and get 25?
Last year when there was another Metrotown gift card deal, I got one and I believe it was an American Express debit card, so you could only use it at merchants that accept Amex. Although, I tried using it at MUJI where they do accept AMEX, but they claimed they couldn't through their system. Softmoc worked though. Those are the only places I tried.

No, minimum donation is $25, as stated on the site.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15317 posts
8191 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
1226 wrote: I don't think they can legally give you a $45 tax receipt, since you're getting something ($25 GC) in return. I think they are limited to $20 in that case.
The wording isn't exactly clear on that as their website states -
Donations of $20 or more, over the $25 Gift Card amount, are eligible for a tax receipt.
The only thing that does seem clear is if you donate $45 + (ie $25 + $20), you get a tax receipt.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
1409 posts
4319 upvotes
craftsman wrote: That's still a pretty good deal if you consider that the first $25 is basically a free donation if you were going to spend it at Metrotown anyways so you are really paying $20 for a $45 donation or about a $9.03 tax credit (at the base 15% Federal rate + BC credit).
Not really, you’re only getting a $20 tax receipt so you would get $4.01
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9541 posts
1678 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: The wording isn't exactly clear on that as their website states -

The only thing that does seem clear is if you donate $45 + (ie $25 + $20), you get a tax receipt.

Seems pretty clear:
(i.e. $45 donation would provide a $20 tax receipt and a $25 gift card).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1605 posts
915 upvotes
Burnaby
dave009 wrote: Last year when there was another Metrotown gift card deal, I got one and I believe it was an American Express debit card, so you could only use it at merchants that accept Amex. Although, I tried using it at MUJI where they do accept AMEX, but they claimed they couldn't through their system. Softmoc worked though. Those are the only places I tried.

No, minimum donation is $25, as stated on the site.
For those asking, this is the list of stores who accept the Metrotown gift card - https://metropolisatmetrotown.com/en/stores/?giftCard=1

I'll add the link to the thread summary as well
Jun 24, 2016
472 posts
467 upvotes
candle11 wrote: The target is for $40,000, so it's basically Metrotown donating $40k to the hosipital, plus all the gift card related transactions fee.
Yeah, it seems what they have in mind is that it ends up being a $20k donation when half of those gift cards are thrown into drawers.