Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6020 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Donating a car to charity

Anyone donate a car to charity and get a tax receipt?

I have a 1999 Audi A6 that I want to donate - but I want to make sure there are no problems after and a tax deduction would be nice.

Saw an ad in the CAA magazine about the Kidney foundation doing that but when I checked on line there are quite a few charities who are also after car donations.

Who to pick?
I don't have a favourite charity.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19712 posts
4303 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Just stay away from "Kars 4 Kids". IMO they are one of the most deceptive charitable organizations, being very careful to hide their real purpose. Just do some research on them.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4120 posts
924 upvotes
Sask.
Several years ago, donated a car to the Kidney Fdt.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6020 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Jucius Maximus wrote: Just stay away from "Kars 4 Kids". IMO they are one of the most deceptive charitable organizations, being very careful to hide their real purpose. Just do some research on them.
Thanks for the heads up.

Kars 4 Kids were actually on the top of my list simply because they showed up first when I googled.
After a bit more checking they have now fallen off my list.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6020 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
natalka wrote: Several years ago, donated a car to the Kidney Fdt.
Did everything go allright?
No hick ups?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14260 posts
5445 upvotes
Ottawa
I donated a car through donate car Canada and picked cancer society.

Dropped off the car at an auction place. Eventually they auctioned off the car and I got a tax receipt for about $4K. And then got the tax receipt a couple months later.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4120 posts
924 upvotes
Sask.
krs wrote: Did everything go allright?
No hick ups?
No probs, everything went well.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2140 posts
740 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Jucius Maximus wrote: Just stay away from "Kars 4 Kids". IMO they are one of the most deceptive charitable organizations, being very careful to hide their real purpose. Just do some research on them.
So, you mean I shouldn't donate my boats and personal aircraft to them?? How will all the poor children get around on the water and the air? How will they go on those luxury vacations??? Won't somebody think of the children??
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19712 posts
4303 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
JKKim2983 wrote: So, you mean I shouldn't donate my boats and personal aircraft to them?? How will all the poor children get around on the water and the air? How will they go on those luxury vacations??? Won't somebody think of the children??
Where is @Cheapo-Findo when you need him?
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13539 posts
8498 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
OH WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!!
JKKim2983 wrote: So, you mean I shouldn't donate my boats and personal aircraft to them?? How will all the poor children get around on the water and the air? How will they go on those luxury vacations??? Won't somebody think of the children??
Jucius Maximus wrote: Where is @Cheapo-Findo when you need him?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 17, 2009
182 posts
76 upvotes
Mississauga
Donated my last two end-of-the-road cars to the Canadian Diabetes Association through Car Heaven http://carheaven.ca/

Granted, both were high mileage with the first one needing $$$$$ in repairs to be able to pass emissions and the second one had a blown transmission, but I still got receipts for about $500 each and they came and towed the cars at no charge,
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6020 posts
1030 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I ended up donating to the kidney foundation simply because it seemed theasiest and straight forward.

Filed out their on-line form around lunch time - got a call around 4pm that afternoon and the tow truck was here at 9:30 the next morning taking the car.

So far very quick and efficient.