• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 9:10 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 26, 2020
63 posts
22 upvotes

Donating old car

Hi guys. I'm buying a new car and have a question about donating my old car(worth nothing). When I buy the new car and get new plates and sign the ownership over to the towing company, do I just take my plates and plate portion to the MTO? I'm very unfamiliar with this process as I've always let the dealer do everything on trade ins. Thanks.
2 replies
Sep 4, 2006
875 posts
527 upvotes
Ottawa
Consider actually donating it to some place where you get a benefit. Kidney Car, or a local high school. At my school, we will take your donated car and use it to teach students. AND, you get a tax receipt for the book value of the car (which is likely higher than you think). If you're in Ottawa, send me a PM...

You can just have your dealer transfer your old plates to your new car, no need for new plates. You don't need to sign over the title to the towing company, they won't care, they won't be transferring it to themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5014 posts
2442 upvotes
Ottawa
PaulJ156 wrote: Hi guys. I'm buying a new car and have a question about donating my old car(worth nothing). When I buy the new car and get new plates and sign the ownership over to the towing company, do I just take my plates and plate portion to the MTO? I'm very unfamiliar with this process as I've always let the dealer do everything on trade ins. Thanks.
To your question (bolded): yes. This is what you do.