• Jul 27th, 2019 4:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2665 upvotes
Calgary

Donating SpeakOut minutes to charities

I am about to port one of my SpeakOut numbers over to Public Mobile. I still have about $35 left and would like to donate most of it to charities before I do the porting. I Google searched but most of the links are for AT&T and T-Mobile. Can I use one of those links? Anyone with experience donating SpeakOut air time please share a link. Thank you in advance.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4044 posts
902 upvotes
Does anyone know how much actually end up for the charity? e.g., if I donate $10, what's really sent to the charity?
signature closed for renovation
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2665 upvotes
Calgary
recordman wrote: Does anyone know how much actually end up for the charity? e.g., if I donate $10, what's really sent to the charity?
I believe the mobile giving foundation pockets 10% of your donation. I find their restrictions annoying, they have these pre-set micro donation amounts like $5 - $20 per short code and they limit the number of transactions per month. It's impossible to donate larger amount in one shot.

Edit: I tried to text the keywords to a few of their short codes but the messages couldn't be sent. I wonder if you need a mobile plan to donate. I guess I will just have to forfeit the balance.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4151 posts
1877 upvotes
Toronto
althetrainer wrote: I guess I will just have to forfeit the balance.
Alternatively, use up the most of the balance then port your number.

If you were not porting, I'd say just drop the sim off at a local woman's shelter.
Me, I get a $25 renewal every year to use for kijiji and the like on a burner phone. I've also lent it to my Amerifriends that are visiting & did not set up Roaming.
It is worth it not to have to give your cell # out to others.
Social Distancing means staying apart 2 meters or 6 feet, the depth of a grave.
Get closer and you might have one foot in the grave. (Pass it on)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2010
7013 posts
2665 upvotes
Calgary
ROYinTO wrote: Alternatively, use up the most of the balance then port your number.

If you were not porting, I'd say just drop the sim off at a local woman's shelter.
Me, I get a $25 renewal every year to use for kijiji and the like on a burner phone. I've also lent it to my Amerifriends that are visiting & did not set up Roaming.
It is worth it not to have to give your cell # out to others.
Letting visiting friends use the balance is a good idea but I already have a second sim for that purpose. Mostly importantly, I would like to keep my number. I use TextNow for Kijiji communications, it's rather easy and FREE. :lol: