[OP]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16506 posts
3732 upvotes
Toronto

Donkey meat anyone?

It's true.
A Donkey meat restaurant has opened up in Scarborough, Ontario.
To quote the article "Before you freak out: donkey meat is considered a delicacy offered in China and some parts of Asia. And it's long been rumoured that some Italian mortadella might contain a little bit of donkey meat too..."
Source: https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2019/1 ... t-toronto/
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5724 posts
2519 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
The Italians would turn anything into sausages. Small horses in the Basque country caled pottoks were nearly driven into extinction when they fell out of fashion and the Italians came to buy them by the boat load. I'm sure if you ask for meat something in Egypt and other nearby places, it is likely to be camel but also could be donkey.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1638 posts
1048 upvotes
Antelopes in some of the African countries too. Grilled or fried crickets were a staple street food where I grew up. Donkey is part of the horse family, horse meat was a staple in France, up to the mid 90's. I remember it being available in Montreal in the 80's. It's really North American sensitivities on anthropomorphism about domesticated animals that drives these phobia of eating one animal but another.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1679 posts
1967 upvotes
my0gr81 wrote: Antelopes in some of the African countries too. Grilled or fried crickets were a staple street food where I grew up. Donkey is part of the horse family, horse meat was a staple in France, up to the mid 90's. I remember it being available in Montreal in the 80's. It's really North American sensitivities on anthropomorphism about domesticated animals that drives these phobia of eating one animal but another.
Agree. Had a friend who grew up on a farm in Quebec in the 60/70s and she said being from a poor family, they ate everything. Probably the same in most of the world ex North America; though would guess it was the same with the native Canadians/Americans but they were viewed as less than peers over time. Instead we tend to view things that we don't consider "normal" as "backward" .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9272 posts
3598 upvotes
I bought smoked horse meat (like prosciutto, maybe more like schinken) at Dutch Toko in Guelph years ago...cured like this it wasn't much different than pork. Not something you often find for sale.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36075 posts
10168 upvotes
Ottawa
What we consider as pets are in many places in the world just another food source.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1570 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
how long before the animal activist brigade will be protesting in front of that restaurant?
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
2789 posts
2058 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: I bought smoked horse meat (like prosciutto, maybe more like schinken) at Dutch Toko in Guelph years ago...cured like this it wasn't much different than pork. Not something you often find for sale.
It's my favourite way to enjoy horse, you can find it at many Dutch stores with a deli. There is also a restaurant in downtown Toronto where you can enjoy some horse, though I admit my last visit was about 2 yeara ago now.

As for the topic at hand, I'd try it.