Home & Garden

Dont Call US Registry Violation

  • Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2015 9:47 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Dont Call US Registry Violation

both the cells are registered with the dont call us registry (verified few minutes ago). but in last few months 2 specific companies (a cruise ship where i never went to or had any contact + marriott hotel, stayed + have rewards card) are calling everyday almost. just checked with marriott they said they dont do any telemarketing. now i am lost completely; dont know what to do. these numbers r clearly toronto numbers. my speakout cell charges 25 cents per minute of incoming call. everytime they call, i pick and save the number for not picking up next time. but they change the number almost weekly. i dont have a way to know until i pick up whose calling me. any help/suggestions?
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 19, 2004
9139 posts
2045 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Just don't pick up if you don't recognize the number. Unfortunately there is not much you can do about these crooks.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5552 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
spiderman6 wrote: any help/suggestions?
Personally I think we need to start a petition the CRTC to regulate a way to report all these guys that telemarket in violation of the rules and fake their caller ID's.

We can call it the 38 Special based on the popular ammo that used by police departments for many years.

Got a call from a telmarketer? Hang up and dial *38 or *FU and the telco's have to record that the last call was a telemarketer. They can track the source and block incoming calls to their networks. Get ten 38 Specials in a day and your originating number gets blocked and reported to Bell who is contracted to control the Do Not Call system.
Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2013
671 posts
286 upvotes
Winnipeg
ROYinTO wrote: Personally I think we need to start a petition the CRTC to regulate a way to report all these guys that telemarket in violation of the rules and fake their caller ID's.

We can call it the 38 Special based on the popular ammo that used by police departments for many years.

Got a call from a telmarketer? Hang up and dial *38 or *FU and the telco's have to record that the last call was a telemarketer. They can track the source and block incoming calls to their networks. Get ten 38 Specials in a day and your originating number gets blocked and reported to Bell who is contracted to control the Do Not Call system.
What a great idea.

We should start a petition about this. Have everyone on red flag email their mp.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5552 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
zeon64 wrote: We should start a petition about this. Have everyone on red flag email their mp.
I feel there are enough web wise and social networking gurus here that we could set up a web site, provide a template petition letter, the emails of all MP's and the CRTC. Then spread the word on Facebook and Twitter. Let it go viral and hope someone in the USA picks up on the idea for there.

Any body want to get in on this? Step up to the plate.

Even if you don't want to get in on the organization. Reply to this thread, make it hot and spread the word.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 11, 2008
7727 posts
1193 upvotes
GTA
Are you sure they are 'real' phone calls? I get scam calls about winning a cruise and there is a Marriott one too that people have reported.

I get these calls frequently and they are spoofed Toronto numbers. Often the first 3 digits are the same as mine but the calls aren't really coming from that number.

I've also had people call me asking why I called them - I didn't but someone spoofed my number.

I think it is very possible that these aren't legitimate calls and they aren't actually coming from the number that appears on the caller id.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
theyre coming from india and paki stan, theyre illegal, and the numbers are spoofed, there is nothing we can do here to block it? get it?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6695 posts
1371 upvotes
The Do Not Call registry and it's applicable laws only apply to calls originating in Canada and businesses in Canada. Canadian law does not apply to Pakistan or wherever so technically those calls are not illegal and nothing can be done about them. Simply hang up as soon as you get such a call and continue to do so every time they call back. Eventually they will just move on and leave you alone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5552 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
Stronzo1 wrote: there is nothing we can do here to block it? get it?
woof wrote: The Do Not Call registry and it's applicable laws only apply to calls originating in Canada and businesses in Canada. Canadian law does not apply to Pakistan or wherever so technically those calls are not illegal and nothing can be done about them.
Not sure I agree with that, check out this link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-fi ... -1.1142345
To quote:
"The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission took legal action Wednesday against two Indian companies for breaking Canada’s telemarketing rules.

They found Pecon Software Limited and Avaneesh Software Private Limited guilty of making unsolicited telemarketing calls to Canadians who had registered their numbers on the National Do Not Call List. The companies have been fined $495,000 and $12,000, respectively, and have been required to stop all calls immediately."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5552 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
FWIW The CRTC is also going after the local companies that use offshore telelmarketers.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-iss ... -1.2295282
" TORONTO -- Nine companies linked to illegal telemarketing calls about duct cleaning services have been named and shamed by the CRTC.

Four companies have already paid fines totalling $55,000, while another five are on notice for a combined $94,000 in penalties.

The nine companies, all based in the Greater Toronto Area, were identified by the CRTC during a "lengthy and labour-intensive" investigation, after consumers complained about receiving annoying sales pitches.

The CRTC found the companies were using foreign call centres for their telemarketing, which were not respecting the national do not call list.
"

Can you tell I don't like Telemarketers?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6695 posts
1371 upvotes
ROYinTO wrote: Not sure I agree with that, check out this link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-fi ... -1.1142345
To quote: "The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission took legal action Wednesday against two Indian companies for breaking Canada’s telemarketing rules.
What the article fails to point out is that these companies do not appear to have a physical presence in Canada. The fines are unenforceable.

ROYinTO wrote: FWIW The CRTC is also going after the local companies that use offshore telelmarketers.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/crtc-iss ... -1.2295282
" TORONTO -- Nine companies linked to illegal telemarketing calls about duct cleaning services have been named and shamed by the CRTC.
The CRTC found the companies were using foreign call centres for their telemarketing, which were not respecting the national do not call list."
In this case the offending companies who hired the telemarketers are located in Canada and any fines and other actions are enforceable.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5552 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
And some more:
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/23/to ... -call-list
"Toronto companies slapped with $100Gs in fines for violating Do Not Call List"

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/04/16/crtc- ... ing-rules/
"The CRTC has once again come through on its promise to protect Canadians from unwanted telemarketing calls. The fines have been in the six figures to companies that violated the National Do Not Call List (DNCL), specifically $250,000 to Thrift Magic, $200,000 to Québec Loisirs, $260,000 to Telelisting, and recently Florida-based Consolidated Travel Holdings for $200,000.
...
Since 2008, over 12.8 million numbers have registered on the DNCL and to date, the CRTC has issued more than $6.2 million in monetary penalties. "

If you want to have fun, next time they call about cleaning your ducts, ask them if they clean geese, because this is Canada and we have more Geese here than ducks and the geese are real messy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5552 posts
3047 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote: What the article fails to point out is that these companies do not appear to have a physical presence in Canada. The fines are unenforceable.
Perhaps, but there are modalities that can be pursued through international law. Then I presume it falls into the realm of diplomatic efforts.
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2013/04/enfo ... de-canada/
"n other words, more than six months after the CRTC filed the necessary documents in India, it is still not clear whether the company has even been served with them. That isn’t the CRTC’s fault, but it does illustrate the challenge of enforcing the do-not-call list against foreign telemarketers which may involve more bark than bite. "
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2577 posts
1321 upvotes
Hometown
I have been getting those calls as well but mostly on my home phone. I agree with the advice when it is a cell phone and you don't recognize the number DON'T answer if you just have a pay as you go type plan. I know it can be hard for some people to NOT answer a phone but I have my cell phone for MY convenience not so I can be harassed by people calling me LOL.

That being said I was out of town last Friday though and expecting a call from people I was picking up, as I was driving, when my phone rang I just handed the phone to my passenger who answered. They stayed on the line because they couldn't hear at first and when they finally caught on that it was those dirts with the Mariott scam, they hung up. The phone rang about 3 minutes later and I told my passenger answer it, it is time for the people I am expecting to call. It was the scammers again, but my passenger stayed on for about 2 minutes trying to hear when they were saying so in 2 calls there went 5.50 in LONG DISTANCE charges, because they were spoofing a number from my hometown.... I was livid.

I got my revenge today though when Mariott called me at home. I hit the number to hear the scam and I waited until they came on.... I said to whom am I speaking, they had already said, but I asked again... I then said good and your last name too? Then I said I will also need the name of your supervisor so I can award them too. Award what? Get them on the line if you can, they couldn't so I said too bad your supervisor is going to be mad the missed this. ARE YOU READY? OK.... 10 second blast of the air horn I keep for telemarketers. Then I politely said PLEASE NEVER call this number again thanks, or you will win the prize again...

I really can't believe that Bell/Rogers can't stamp out this kind of crap though, they HAVE to be making a fair bit of money off the calls, so they aren't doing anything about it. LOL

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)