Home & Garden

Dont leave your DW running while away or sleeping.

• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 11:11 am
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC

Dont leave your DW running while away or sleeping.

And that applies to all appliances, washer, drier, oven, etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/l ... -1.5138926
Dishwasher that came with house catches fire, and owner learns it was subject of Whirlpool class action.

We had a similar experience with a Whirpool dishwasher. I was at the sink not long after turning it on and started to smell smoke. I looked around and saw smoke coming from around the control panel.
I went on line later and found there was a recall by Whirlpool but it didn't include my model. WTF. I fired off an email to them and never got a response.
Since then we never leave an appliance on while away or sleeping.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
20 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
Just one of the reasons it pays to also have good, not cheap, smoke detectors in your home .... as well as possibly AFCI breakers in your panel.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
poleman wrote: And that applies to all appliances, washer, drier, oven, etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/l ... -1.5138926
Dishwasher that came with house catches fire, and owner learns it was subject of Whirlpool class action.

We had a similar experience with a Whirpool dishwasher. I was at the sink not long after turning it on and started to smell smoke. I looked around and saw smoke coming from around the control panel.
I went on line later and found there was a recall by Whirlpool but it didn't include my model. WTF. I fired off an email to them and never got a response.
Since then we never leave an appliance on while away or sleeping.
What about your fridge and furnace? Do you turn those appliances off when sleeping or away?
I don't worry about my appliances because I have smoke detectors and water leak detectors.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
engineered wrote: What about your fridge and furnace? Do you turn those appliances off when sleeping or away?
I don't worry about my appliances because I have smoke detectors and water leak detectors.
Well if you want to shut your fridge and furnace off, go right ahead. But there is such a thing as common sense.

And a lot of good your smoke detector will do if your DW catches fire and you're on the other side of the city.
Last edited by poleman on May 21st, 2019 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I generally though not always , don't run the dw or washer when no one is home, or everyone is sleeping , because I'm more concerned with either of those two leaking than anything else.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
I never leave a pot on the stove unattended, and I never run the washer or dryer and leave the house, but that’s just me
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21739 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
engineered wrote: What about your fridge and furnace? Do you turn those appliances off when sleeping or away?
Imagine unplugging every electronic device every night before bed?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
I guess I live life on the edge all my life as we have thought nothing of leaving the gas dryer, washer, dishwashers, gas oven, bread machine, crock pot, 3D printer, gas water heater, gas furnace, coffee maker, computers, oil heaters, wood stoves, etc going whenever needed, home or not.

We just don't leave a stove top burner unattended.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
I look at it the other way. This isn’t for all dishwashers. Some whirlpool dishwashers models with that particular control panel have design defect that makes them more prone to having these problems.

If you own one of those particular whirlpool models, you should probably use additional care .

http://www.dishwashersettlement.ca/medi ... x_b_en.pdf
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2321 posts
1676 upvotes
SW Ontario
l69norm wrote: I look at it the other way. This isn’t for all dishwashers. Some whirlpool dishwashers models with that particular control panel have design defect that makes them more prone to having these problems.

If you own one of those particular whirlpool models, you should probably use additional care .

If you do, it should be either fix it or replace it ...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
great advice, and thank god i read the whole thread to know that DW means dishwasher, otherwise i would be scratching my head wondering what that means
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
l69norm wrote: I look at it the other way. This isn’t for all dishwashers. Some whirlpool dishwashers models with that particular control panel have design defect that makes them more prone to having these problems.

Well yea, if I had a defective appliance I wouldn't run it while away. I probably wouldn't run it at all until I replaced it. Same goes is your car has a recall for engine fires, probably not a good idea to park it in your garage.

I also try to charge electronics on a non-flammable surface in case it decides to burn. I charge my 18650 batteries inside the downstairs oven that we don't use.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Jojo_Madman wrote: I guess I live life on the edge all my life as we have thought nothing of leaving the gas dryer, washer, dishwashers, gas oven, bread machine, crock pot, 3D printer, gas water heater, gas furnace, coffee maker, computers, oil heaters, wood stoves, etc going whenever needed, home or not.

We just don't leave a stove top burner unattended.
You're a madman.

I as well dont worry about this sort of stuff. Some on here turn off their washer hoses every time they are done with them to. And others on here dont leave the house after 11 pm because thats when bad things on the road happen.

Seems many on here dont live spur of the moment ever, rigid and routine. Running your dishwasher and you have friends want you to go out, what you dont go until your dishwasher finishes its cycle, or you stop it

Also with a recent move I looked up all my appliance serial numbers and the dishwasher and range had recalls. Its not like the old days of phoning anymore. A quick online chat or an email and you find your info from your furnace to garbage disposal
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: DW means dishwasher
Also means dear wife. Don't leave your DW running while you're sleeping.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1865 posts
1262 upvotes
GTA
CNeufeld wrote: There was also this a few years ago:
https://z1035.com/2017/10/26/health-can ... fire-risk/

Bosch, Kenmore, Thermador, Jenn-Air

C
Thanks, I just checked my Kenmore Elite Dishwasher and I believe it has been affected by this problem and I never knew. Verified on this website: http://www.kenmorepowercord.com

Looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow to arrange a cord replacement service.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: great advice, and thank god i read the whole thread to know that DW means dishwasher, otherwise i would be scratching my head wondering what that means
I was thinking Dear Wife
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
kasm wrote: Thanks, I just checked my Kenmore Elite Dishwasher and I believe it has been affected by this problem and I never knew. Verified on this website: http://www.kenmorepowercord.com

Looks like I'll be calling them tomorrow to arrange a cord replacement service.
I had that to, got it replaced about a month after we moved in. We still used the dishwasher however.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)