Scammers and Warnings

[FS] Don't provide your gift card number if asked to verify - online!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2020 5:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2003
27 posts
2 upvotes
Hamilton

Don't provide your gift card number if asked to verify - online!

Hey RFD members. Please be advised to deal with extreme caution when selling gift cards online. Do NOT provide the gift card code to anyone who asks to "verify" the balance before hand, even if it has a PIN. Gift cards can still be spent without the PIN.

Usually, the conversation will go something like this:

"Hi, I noticed you're selling [insert brand name here]. Could I have the code to verify the balance to make sure it has the right amount? Don't worry it can't be used without the PIN."

Steer far away, this is a scam and you will lose your gift card balance.
Last edited by Cookie on Feb 6th, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
4303 posts
33044 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lol, I had a gift card I was selling beforehand and dealt with it in person. One wanted to verify the gift card online, and I was like, you're going to take it, and he's like no look from google the store's name, I let it be but was wary since on the back of the card it said the balance could only be checked via phone or in-store. He paid so it was alright. Another time I was selling a gift card in person and the item they had wasn't in store and he had to do it online, so we went outside the store to do it via his phone, and I asked for the money before he put into the phone and a little back and forth started but I was like I'll be right here, money still in hand, won't put it away. In person gift cards sometimes even cause a hassle, but yeah, I would never gift a gift card number via message cuz someone doesn't trust I have a card with the money on it. Sounds like a scam for sure.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
6134 posts
2196 upvotes
Once you meetup in person, I think its fair that they be allowed to verify the gift card amount before handing over money. Other than that though, anything online I wouldn't give
[OP]
Nov 25, 2003
27 posts
2 upvotes
Hamilton
HP_John wrote: Once you meetup in person, I think its fair that they be allowed to verify the gift card amount before handing over money. Other than that though, anything online I wouldn't give
Of course, this was more meant for online transactions. Winking Face