• Last Updated:
  • May 18th, 2021 11:06 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29748 posts
10474 upvotes

Don't you just hate when people hit your car in a parking lot? :(

So, looks like it happened to me. Didn't even notice until yesterday--ugh.

Few weeks ago I passed my car though the touchless wash (it was still never-ending winter at the time so no handwashing). I was ready/excited to drive the summer car after doing a bunch of work to it in maintenance items, so I just parked the car [in garage] and drove the other one. Friday I decided to drive the first car since I hadn't driven it in a couple weeks...

When going into work I noticed some white dirt-looking stuff on the right rear which I thought was odd since I had washed it but thought maybe it was some salt or something that didn't come off in the touchless. I didn't really have time to take a closer look since I was kind of in a rush to get in the office for something. After a 12hr day Friday, I forgot about it until yesterday when I was doing some car stuff and took a closer look...

Sure enough, at some point, someone had scraped my rear bumper and lightly the quarter as well :( Damn can't-drive morons. It's not terrible but paint cracked on the bumper in two places, and scratching in the area. Never noticed I guess 'cause was covered with salt before and then after I washed it it was on the side I wouldn't see when parked in the garage. Not like seeing it earlier would have done anything as clearly it's a parking lot loser who did this and ran.

Managed to have only one very minor door ding all the years I had the car (which was a scratch w/o dent and I wet-sanded that out). Mainly accomplished by living/working in the suburbs and by never parking anywhere near Berlin at stores, etc... Guess no matter what you do or where you park, some reject will get you eventually :( So disappointed, will try to buff out what I can I guess :|
68 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20269 posts
5730 upvotes
GTA
Yeap, my front bumper on both sides, just at the corner. I always reverse park, one side was at Yorkdale Mall during the holidays, the other time, who knows, I didn't see it until I washed my car from all the salt this winter.

On the plus side, 95% of the scrape damage is on the 3M bumper protective film, which is good. But I know as soon as I remove the film, someones just gonna scrape it again or it'll get damaged from rocks/debris on the highway.

Maybe I'll just leave it on until I sell the car and then remove the film. Sucks
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Yup people suck. Many moons ago when I use to work at the mall, no matter where I parked my rear bumper on both sides got messed up along with numerous door dings. People just don't give a shit.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16060 posts
4639 upvotes
Scarberia
yup, my car has dings and dents on all FOUR sides and corners! i even got scraped near the rear passenger door where my gas lid is smh! too lazy to fix all the scrapes , quick buffer and spray paint with aftermarket stuff will do i think
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3612 posts
3785 upvotes
GTA
All parking spots should have room to open your door fully like the ones at Costco. This would really cut down on the number of dings from the jerks and fools that don't care or can't drive well.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3457 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
tew wrote: All parking spots should have room to open your door fully like the ones at Costco. This would really cut down on the number of dings from the jerks and fools that don't care or can't drive well.
Cut down but I'm not as optimistic as you. People can't drive and don't care, you see it in threads like this all the time the posters saying "its just a car" or something moronic along those lines.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16998 posts
15607 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tew wrote: All parking spots should have room to open your door fully like the ones at Costco. This would really cut down on the number of dings from the jerks and fools that don't care or can't drive well.
Have you seen how ppl park at Costco?

Idiots are everywhere!!!
Aug 6, 2017
712 posts
1186 upvotes
I tend to park far away but even when there are plenty of spaces around, sometimes people tend to park right next to me. Argh
Jul 18, 2020
615 posts
948 upvotes
The lack of law protect private property right in this country is laughable. The Canadian society doesn't encourage people pursued against people for financial accountability, this is why people don't give a shit about door dinging other people, especially if they are from the lesser affluent class.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21317 posts
9743 upvotes
Toronto
Although counter intuitive, I find that squeezing in tight spots can actually be less dangerous than parking in less crowded areas. I think everyone is more careful when there are lots of cars around them.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6481 posts
2822 upvotes
West GTEH!
Kingsmen17 wrote: I tend to park far away but even when there are plenty of spaces around, sometimes people tend to park right next to me. Argh
Yup. That’s what I do, park far away. But there’s always idiots who will park near you just to A) annoy you. B) be a moron to protect their vehicle. C) copy you, etc.
😎
Dec 4, 2017
364 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
People respect social distancing in washroom situations, especially at men's urinals. However when it comes to parking, even if you park far away, some one still has to park next to you.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18857 posts
2537 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lost count on how many ask me why I park at the back, furthest.

First, WTF do you care.

Second, are you going to pay for the repairs.

I remember a first years ago, we went to Niagara Falls, Buffalo. I was with my parents. We went to Sam's Club. I guess I didn't park enough and taking the end of the lot didn't help...

I got back and some dipstick rubs my front bumper of my Murano.

I got home and thankfully was able to polish 80% of it off.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6481 posts
2822 upvotes
West GTEH!
cruisn76 wrote: And here is a really nice door ding at first Markham place last month. People just don’t have a care in the world. What goes around comes around is what I say
Amen to that. That's my motto also
😎
May 31, 2008
238 posts
397 upvotes
At one of my first jobs, I worked at a store that had a very small parking lot, leaving me no option to park far away. At the end of the first year it must have had over 100 dings on the body and doors. The car I had was a very old POS that I would purposely leave unlocked so I didn't really care, but it just goes to show how often it happens. Not once did someone leave a note.

I have been waiting in my car twice in a grocery store parking lot when someone lightly bumped into me backing up/parking. Twice! Imagine how often it must happen when you're not there.

Maybe one day all cars will have a more sophisticated version of Tesla's sentry system, that can easily identify those who hit your car and automatically send them or their insurance company a bill with the incriminating footage. Only then (when it starts hitting them in the wallet) will people be more careful, but until then I always try to park as far away from others as possible.
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4593 upvotes
Montréal
Knock wood I don't think I have that but it's always a risk driving/parking out there. There's only so much one can do, I try to park far away even if it means walking further or at least park in more spacious spots. I really can't stand inconsiderate ppl. If I was in a cramped space, I always insert my finger as the buffer between the 2 vehicles so metal never touches: how difficult is that to have some basic consideration?
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15882 posts
7454 upvotes
Ottawa
Yup,

I find and parked at the spot that was EXTRA wide. There was a curb on the left side and lots of space on my right side. Of course, the idiot that came and parked next to me parked crooked so that he was a lot closer to my car (way out of his own space, not remotely in the lines). And of course, when he came back to his car, he decided he needed his coat so he swung the back door as wide as he could while grabbing his coat from the backseat with his door nearly 90 degrees open. It just happened to touch my car but didn't leave a ding this time.

Just when I thought, there is no way my car could be dinged by parking the way I did leaving so much space, but this guy comes along and shows me how it's done. Silly me.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6481 posts
2822 upvotes
West GTEH!
This TD commercial always has me cringe when i see it.
It doesn't run on TV anymore.

Sorry, click on "Watch on Youtube"
😎