Shopping Discussion

Don't you wish you had a 24-hour Wal-Mart?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2007 7:09 am
Tags:
None
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6817 posts
565 upvotes
I would go there at odd hours, because shopping at walmart normal sucks a whole lot from having to wait for a cashier for 10 minutes.
Nov 11, 2003
154 posts
14 upvotes
Jon Lai wrote: Old news, they have 24 hour Wal-Marts at many locations already.
You should let Wal-mart know that. They seem to think that this is the first one in Canada to go 24 hours.
CBC wrote: Bargain shoppers in Winnipeg will soon be able to indulge their search around the clock at a Wal-Mart store that is to be the first in the country to open 24 hours a day.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Where in GTA? Are you talking about Canada?

I like 24 hour for any store anyway.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1790 posts
334 upvotes
I believe that was just for leading up to christmas. I do not recall if it was all stores or select ones.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
cyder wrote: I believe that was just for leading up to christmas. I do not recall if it was all stores or select ones.
It was select ones.

Out of the two in Ottawa that are near me, one was 24 hour and the other was not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Wal Mart has clearly stated that this will be the first and for the moment only 24 hour store in Canada. It will be open 6 days a week like that and then short hours on Sunday because of provincial laws. They did experiment last Christmas with a number of locations across Canada but they went back to regular hours after Christmas. I expect other stores to follow the 24 hour format, but slowly. They're probably worried that the unions might try to make an issue of this and begin an organizing drive.

Incidentally this is my Wal Mart store, about a mile away from me. I rarely go there because I hate standing in long lines. I can't see any reason I'd want to go there at 3 AM and stand in the same long lines. It's the only store I've ever been in where it's always faster to go through the regular checkouts because the "express" lines are so backed up.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
cyder wrote: I believe that was just for leading up to christmas. I do not recall if it was all stores or select ones.
They had one in a Vancouver suburb in the last couple of weeks before Christmas open 24 hrs.

Home depot tried a 24 hour store in a few months but reverted to normal hrs.

The problem with opening 24 hrs is staffing and the lack of traffic in the wee hours. Basically you are paying clerks to stand around and do nothing.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2963 upvotes
Lots of major grocery stores around here are open 24 hours. And you can get pretty much anything you'd need at the Superstore anyways.

Now... if there was a PHARMACIST on staff at Walmart 24 hours, THAT would be a big deal - but I doubt there is.

I can't count the number of times I have needed over-the-counter cold medicine late at night and been unable to get it because no pharmacist was there so the section was locked up. The nearest 24 hour pharmacy is quite a jaunt away.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2963 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: They had one in a Vancouver suburb in the last couple of weeks before Christmas open 24 hrs.

Home depot tried a 24 hour store in a few months but reverted to normal hrs.

The problem with opening 24 hrs is staffing and the lack of traffic in the wee hours. Basically you are paying clerks to stand around and do nothing.
They don't "do nothing". They clean the store, stock the shelves, etc.

Walmart normally has a few people working ever shift whose sole job it is to stock the shelves all day. If they could offload a couple of these to the night shift, then they don't have to pay them during th eday. Thus their only real additional marginal expense is electricity.

I know that is how all the grocery store chains do it. Go in there at 3am, and every associate is stocking shelves or cleaning. Only when you approach the checkout does one stop what they are doing to go ring you up. They're not just standing there in a daze all night.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)