Home & Garden

Door to Door Salesmen Have Used These Secrets for Decades to Close the Deal

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 10:23 am
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3457 posts
3341 upvotes
You are very sneakily conducting an internet "door to door" sale right now by misdirecting us by pretending to side with us by admonishing "shady" businesses whilst promoting your own questionable business. This forum is not for advertising.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
utopianbl wrote: Fast forward a week later, I had a knock at the door and some guy dressed in white shirt and tie, with a clipboard asked to speak to owner. Not sensing danger I engaged him – whereby he said he had come to collect the water sample. At this point I told him I didn’t have it, and wasn’t interested. His tone changed immediately and demanded the bottle be returned or we’ll have to pay a fine. To which point I laughed and told him to FO, and then closed the door.
I thought the guy in the white shirt and the clipboard was there to tell you that they found all sorts of carcinogen chemicals when they tested you water and he was here to save your and your family's life by letting you sign up for this great filtration system they just happen to have a super discount on.
Last edited by krs on Aug 9th, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
tim-x wrote: You are very sneakily conducting an internet "door to door" sale right now by misdirecting us by pretending to side with us by admonishing "shady" businesses whilst promoting your own questionable business. This forum is not for advertising.
Advertorial.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2013
3125 posts
5365 upvotes
Toronto
https://ontarioenergysavings.ca/

These guys came to the door. In they ploy of checking Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Wish I took pictures, but sent details to CARP.

If I see them at the door again, hope they enjoy that 50k fine.
May 27, 2018
65 posts
24 upvotes
“Fear tactic”, alarm system sales. Aside from persistence, they will show you stats of break-ins in your area. Of course this will scare you. My wife pressured me into buying the service anyway. I dreaded having to pay the $44/month service knowing that I didn’t really need it. I finally cancelled after 2 1/2 years. A few days later, same persistent guy who sold me the service showed up to my door stating “Oh I’m just here to drop off some new sensors” but this time his persistence did not work. I firmly told him I am not interested and asked him to leave. Otherwise he won’t leave me alone.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
TTony wrote: (I wanted to quote him so he is pinged but didnt want to relink the video)
This needs to be its own thread. I am confused by the guy in the video though... Why was he recording the install day? Did he sign then regret? Thats my only explanation.

Edit: I watched the whole thing while I ate lunch today. Good times.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
Thought door to door services/sales are now banned? unless you specify invite them.

At least in Ontario, definitely report them.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Not all services are banned. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors are not on the banned list.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
4239 posts
1966 upvotes
I skimmed the bylaws, but was my understanding that all sales or contacts cannot be done at the door regardless of product or service.

Exceptions being if you invite them or are in a previous contact already.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
JonSnow wrote: I skimmed the bylaws, but was my understanding that all sales or contacts cannot be done at the door regardless of product or service.

Exceptions being if you invite them or are in a previous contact already.
Here is the actual legislation Ontario Regulation 17/05, which lists the prohibited service. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors are NOT on the list:

Direct agreements subject to s. 43.1 of Act
35.1 (1) For the purpose of subsection 43.1 (1) of the Act, the following goods and services are prescribed:
1. Furnaces.
2. Air conditioners.
3. Air cleaners.
4. Air purifiers.
5. Water heaters.
6. Water treatment devices.
7. Water purifiers.
8. Water filters.
9. Water softeners.
10. Duct cleaning services.
11. Any goods or services that are a combination of or that perform the functions of the goods or services listed in any of paragraphs 1 to 10. O. Reg. 487/17, s. 2.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/050017#BK52

Of course any of the prohibited items can be sold if the consumer initiated the visit.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.