Home & Garden

Door to Door Salesmen Have Used These Secrets for Decades to Close the Deal

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2019 10:23 am
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
1487 posts
319 upvotes
so I have a different tale to tell. Last month I came home and found a yellow cap clear plastic bottle in a plastic bag - with a printed note saying, we will do a free water analysis for you. Instructions were to fill the bottle with water, and leave it out by the door or garage for them to come and collect.

Turns out my son got hold of the bottle, played around with it, lost/broke/chucked it and that was that.

Fast forward a week later, I had a knock at the door and some guy dressed in white shirt and tie, with a clipboard asked to speak to owner. Not sensing danger I engaged him – whereby he said he had come to collect the water sample. At this point I told him I didn’t have it, and wasn’t interested. His tone changed immediately and demanded the bottle be returned or we’ll have to pay a fine. To which point I laughed and told him to FO, and then closed the door.
[OP]
Banned
Jul 3, 2018
10 posts
6 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: I have a Ring Pro...very akward giving a sales pitch while staring at a doorbell.
Haha that sales pitch is the equivalent to Skype Job interviews
[OP]
Banned
Jul 3, 2018
10 posts
6 upvotes
Zero Hope wrote: I just tell him because I'm Asian, I don't pay full price. In my culture, we haggle. I tell them, I'll only sign if you discount your price by 90%. We'll have to heavily amend the contract and terms before I sign. They always leave immediately.
I’m going to adopt this tactic when making all of my purchases from now on!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
9361 posts
6971 upvotes
im having sex you son of a sitch.. get the f out of here.

10/10 salesperson will be in shock then run
Sep 1, 2015
148 posts
63 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
be careful about d2d sales people asking when you will be home for free samples
they are burglars using social engineering try to figure out when you will not be home
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
2197 posts
713 upvotes
You are very sneakily conducting an internet "door to door" sale right now by misdirecting us by pretending to side with us by admonishing "shady" businesses whilst promoting your own questionable business. This forum is not for advertising.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5995 posts
1027 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
utopianbl wrote: Fast forward a week later, I had a knock at the door and some guy dressed in white shirt and tie, with a clipboard asked to speak to owner. Not sensing danger I engaged him – whereby he said he had come to collect the water sample. At this point I told him I didn’t have it, and wasn’t interested. His tone changed immediately and demanded the bottle be returned or we’ll have to pay a fine. To which point I laughed and told him to FO, and then closed the door.
I thought the guy in the white shirt and the clipboard was there to tell you that they found all sorts of carcinogen chemicals when they tested you water and he was here to save your and your family's life by letting you sign up for this great filtration system they just happen to have a super discount on.
Last edited by krs on Aug 9th, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8972 posts
4580 upvotes
Paris
tim-x wrote: You are very sneakily conducting an internet "door to door" sale right now by misdirecting us by pretending to side with us by admonishing "shady" businesses whilst promoting your own questionable business. This forum is not for advertising.
Advertorial.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2013
2463 posts
4194 upvotes
Toronto
https://ontarioenergysavings.ca/

These guys came to the door. In they ploy of checking Carbon Monoxide Detectors. Wish I took pictures, but sent details to CARP.

If I see them at the door again, hope they enjoy that 50k fine.
May 27, 2018
65 posts
23 upvotes
“Fear tactic”, alarm system sales. Aside from persistence, they will show you stats of break-ins in your area. Of course this will scare you. My wife pressured me into buying the service anyway. I dreaded having to pay the $44/month service knowing that I didn’t really need it. I finally cancelled after 2 1/2 years. A few days later, same persistent guy who sold me the service showed up to my door stating “Oh I’m just here to drop off some new sensors” but this time his persistence did not work. I firmly told him I am not interested and asked him to leave. Otherwise he won’t leave me alone.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
8972 posts
4580 upvotes
Paris
TTony wrote: (I wanted to quote him so he is pinged but didnt want to relink the video)
This needs to be its own thread. I am confused by the guy in the video though... Why was he recording the install day? Did he sign then regret? Thats my only explanation.

Edit: I watched the whole thing while I ate lunch today. Good times.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3508 posts
852 upvotes
Thought door to door services/sales are now banned? unless you specify invite them.

At least in Ontario, definitely report them.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2028 posts
1282 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Not all services are banned. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors are not on the banned list.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Inklings & Clues accumulated'"
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3508 posts
852 upvotes
I skimmed the bylaws, but was my understanding that all sales or contacts cannot be done at the door regardless of product or service.

Exceptions being if you invite them or are in a previous contact already.