Home & Garden

Door-to-Door Water filter sales

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 10:33 am
[OP]
Feb 9, 2018
3 posts

Door-to-Door Water filter sales

Long story short I wasn't thinking right and they managed to get me into getting these filters. My question is:

-Under Consumer Protection Act, 2002, I should have a 10 day Cool-Off Period. Does this apply to purchases under $50, since installation was free and a monthly payment of $14.95/month is all the agreement states.

-The filters are installed, does the 10 days Cool-off period still apply?

-If the 10 days Cool-off applies, will there be a cost of removing the filters from my home?

-If the 10 days Cool-Off doesn't apply, what are my other options as to rid of the contract agreement and any fees they may inflict upon me?

Lesson learned Thanks in advance.
4 replies
Aug 7, 2014
563 posts
235 upvotes
If you have questions or concerns about any door-to-door experiences you have had, call Consumer Protection Ontario (if u live in Ontario) at:

416-326-8800 (GTA) or toll-free at 1-800-889-9768
TTY users call 416-229-6086 (in the GTA) or 1-877-666-6545
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2223 posts
1452 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
As noted previously you should contact the Consumer Protection Branch for some of your questions:

Minimum cost of the agreement as per the Schedule A of the Act - I have no idea what this minimum is, I cannot find Schedule A of the Act, however the cost is the total cost, excluding the cost of borrowing, so I doubt that if you are being billed $14.95/month then I am quite sure that minimum cost is exceeded.

That said Section 43.1 (1) of the act is clear that the goods may not be installed before then end of the cooling off period:
Restriction on time for performance
43.1 (1) Except in the circumstances that are prescribed, if any, a supplier under a direct agreement that requires the supplier to supply to the consumer a water heater or other goods or services that are prescribed shall not supply the heater or the goods or services, as the case may be, until the period that the consumer has for cancelling the agreement under clause 43 (1) (a) has expired. 2013, c. 13, Sched. 2, s. 5.

So when exactly was this water filter installed?

There is an exception to that section, if the consumer agrees, in writing that the installation is required for emergency use, ie furnace, water heater, etc. I do not see any reason that a water filter is required on an emergency basis, however this exception is not yet in force.

Now onto the cost recovery of the supplier - you hint at $700.00. The Act is clear that the cost recovery must be a reasonable amount.

Call the Consumer Protection Agency, but first off send in your letter to terminate the contract and do so in accordance with the Act.
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
[OP]
Feb 9, 2018
3 posts
The filter was installed on friday.

An email was sent to their company on Saturday to cancel.

I've never agreed to install the filters nor did I request it specifically. However, the plumber gave me his IPAD to sign and I thought it was for the filters to be installed. Without a hard copy at hand, I fear that I may have signed it to be preemptively installed.