Door Hinges recommendation please

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 11:26 pm
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
302 posts
41 upvotes

Door Hinges recommendation please

Hello, am setting up a simple Wooden shelf to wall mount in Garage.
I need some advise on Door hinges.
I did some Googling (of course) & there are lots of hinge models Butt, european, etc. Downside of Butt is that we need to get rid of some wood with chisel which i am not good anyway. I am looking for the simplest Model without any scrapping of wood, etc.
Do you recommend European model? I think for those, we need to put a small hole which is fine as i have a small saw Hole cutting drill bit which can help me.
I see several European models again Can someone pls recommend me exact link (rona or homedepot) which model is simplest to fix without much Gaps?
I am fixing 2 doors (64 ft tall each) so i need atleast 3 Hinges each door
Note: I can only first wall mount the Rack and then only fix the Doors as its bit heavy one that I am fixing. so in this case, Butt hinges do not seem to be the best option anyways...

thanks in advance
4 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4800 posts
4549 upvotes
Toronto
For euro hinges, you don't use a normal hole saw. That only cuts out the outside of the hole. You need to hollow out the interior. You use a Forstner bit.

I don't completely understand what you are trying to do. You first talk about a shelf, then doors, then a rack?

I'm guessing you want to wall mount a tall cabinet (64 INCH) cabinet, but are making it yourself? If you're not picky, a ready-to-assemble particleboard cabinet with doors from the major hardware stores, IKEA, even Canadian Tire or Walmart is cheapest and easiest because the doors and euro hinges are already done.

If you have to buy your own Forstner bit, and buy your own euro hinges, you have to carefully measure to make sure you make the holes in the right spot, etc. If you want euro hinges that open up wider, they cost more.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
2003 posts
1734 upvotes
GTA
smartnew wrote: I did some Googling (of course) & there are lots of hinge models Butt, european, etc. Downside of Butt is that we need to get rid of some wood with chisel which i am not good anyway. I am looking for the simplest Model without any scrapping of wood, etc.
Do you recommend European model?
I generally use European hinges for most of my projects. I almost all the time use Blum hinges.

Seeing as you want to keep things as simple as possible and may have limited tools, I would recommend you getting this: https://www.amazon.ca/Kreg-Company-KHI- ... B01JQ74FMQ

Or something along those lines. This will allow you to accurately drill the hole for the hinges you need as well as properly place the screw holes on the door. Then you just need another few screw holes on the cabinet side. There are lots of templates for these, ie: https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/ha ... e-template but they really aren't 100% needed.

Moving on, you just need to figure out what hinges you want. IE, how much you want them to open - 110 degrees is I think the standard one usually. Then you neeed to figure out how much reveal you want of your cabinet, ie, overlay, half overlay, inset, if you need face frame mounting etc.

Hope that helps.
[OP]
Dec 18, 2017
302 posts
41 upvotes
Thanks both
Attached is what I have as saw drill bit. So this cant be used for European hinge?
Also attached some sample hinges. Can someone please confirm if those are European hinges? And, also pls let me know if I only need to cut a hole in door and no hole or scraping needed in cabinet to fix other part. Right? I mean I just need to screw other part directly in cabinet or shelf in contrary to Butt hinges where I need to do more work?
Images
  • 20200701_223721.jpg
  • 20200701_221209.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200701-224325_Facebook.jpg
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11974 posts
7131 upvotes
Paris
smartnew wrote: Thanks both
Attached is what I have as saw drill bit. So this cant be used for European hinge?
Also attached some sample hinges. Can someone please confirm if those are European hinges? And, also pls let me know if I only need to cut a hole in door and no hole or scraping needed in cabinet to fix other part. Right? I mean I just need to screw other part directly in cabinet or shelf in contrary to Butt hinges where I need to do more work?
You need a Forster bit, 35mm I think and ideally a drill press. My Freud Forster bit for euro hinges was $35 10 years ago.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)