• Oct 31st, 2019 1:20 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes

Door Latch - not retracting far enough

My front door latch started acting up when the weather got warm. Not sure if this is related.

When I open the door from the inside there are no issues.

When I open from outside the latch doesn’t retract far enough. I end up having to give the door a hefty pull then push to open it. It’s getting worse and I’m not really interested in damaging the door or frame.

I attached a picture showing how far it sticks out when I push the lever down all the way.

Any idea what I can try?
Images
  • D9C154EF-81FC-4A06-A6A3-BE0A92EC2845.jpeg
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19755 posts
23171 upvotes
GTA
Spray some graphite lube to loosen it up. If that doesn't work, try some lithium grease. Otherwise take it apart and inspect for damage, if none, grease and put back together.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8754 posts
4371 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
As above. I would check for wear 'n tear anyway. Had a Schlage front lock that had difficulty unlocking. Opened it up to find that the D-shaped (instead of square) rotating piece was almost completely broken (cheap cast metal construction). If it had broken, the front door would not have been easily opened. Of course the BB stores didn't have any parts but the local locksmiths did.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
It’s odd because from the inside it opens fine.

Outside is the problem.

I will pick up some graphite lube tomorrow and try
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12156 posts
7346 upvotes
Paris
It is a push button from the outside? Those are notoriously crap and can wear out in less than 2 years with daily use. Go for warranty if a Weiser or Schlage.

From inside with a knob or lever you are getting a lot more Ompf.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
Jerico wrote: It is a push button from the outside? Those are notoriously crap and can wear out in less than 2 years with daily use. Go for warranty if a Weiser or Schlage.

From inside with a knob or lever you are getting a lot more Ompf.
Yes, it’s one you push with your thumb
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1982 posts
1290 upvotes
I had the exact problem with my Weiser. It was the latch mechanism.

Fortunately mine was under warranty.

Insorayed graphite and it worked as a temp solution until I could install the latch.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12156 posts
7346 upvotes
Paris
Easto wrote: Yes, it’s one you push with your thumb
There is no fix at home. The insides used to be made of metal and would last 10-15 years. They are now nylon or plastic and 2-5 is the best you can do. Less if your door was drilled incorrectly. Lifetime warranty from Weiser and Schlage for first buyer.

Edit: drill to door
Last edited by Jerico on Jun 26th, 2018 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1739 posts
1242 upvotes
Jerico wrote: There is no fix at home. The insides used to be made of metal and would last 10-15 years. They are now nylon or plastic and 2-5 is the best you can do. Less if your drill was drilled incorrectly. Lifetime warranty from Weiser and Schlage for first buyer.
The original door latch was installed in 2009.

I’ve already replaced it once under warranty. The thumb latch fell off, LOL.

Looks like I’m back to called Weiser again
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1395 posts
732 upvotes
Toronto
What do you do if the door latch is stuck all the way in...this has happened to multiple I door doors...closet, bedroom etc...so annoying...5 yrs old
JS
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12156 posts
7346 upvotes
Paris
James Stonehenge wrote: What do you do if the door latch is stuck all the way in...this has happened to multiple I door doors...closet, bedroom etc...so annoying...5 yrs old
Graphite or warranty
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18123 posts
9192 upvotes
You will want to take the exterior handle off to spray the graphite inside the mechanisms - just putting it inside where the sticking piece is (on the side - the latch) will not help. You can tell it's not seized up (again the latch) because the inside knob works fine. It should just be a couple screws to take off the exterior handle but you'll definitely want to take it off to increase your chance of success at having the exterior handle function properly.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8901 posts
5171 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Tried graphite and no help.

So uninstalled and opened up. There is a spring mechanism that is held in place by two pins and holes [kind of like watch straps]. One side had come loose and so mechanism was at an angle which reduced movement/leverage.

Put back into place to fix. Tried to find pics online but could not.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.