Home & Garden

Door seems thinner warped near the doorhole. How do I fix this?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 9:48 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto

Door seems thinner warped near the doorhole. How do I fix this?

So I was replacing the door knobs and I'm not sure what the previous owner did but it appears it's thinner near the doorhole so there is going to be a huge crack if I mount a new one... is this fixable or do I need a new door?
WhatsApp Image 2017-12-06 at 5.47.53 PM2.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2017-12-06 at 5.47.53 PM.jpeg
13 replies
Aug 18, 2014
602 posts
385 upvotes
Markham, ON
Oni-kun wrote: So I was replacing the door knobs and I'm not sure what the previous owner did but it appears it's thinner near the doorhole so there is going to be a huge crack if I mount a new one... is this fixable or do I need a new door?
pretty sure is just ur door knob loose.

There should be screw to tighten the door knob so they sandwich between the door tight.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
pinkdonut wrote: pretty sure is just ur door knob loose.

There should be screw to tighten the door knob so they sandwich between the door tight.

No it's not. It's not even screwed on. I thought maybe the latch mechanism was crooked so I took it out. This is just the two handles shoved into the holes and I'm pressing them as close together as possible. It seems that the area around the middle of the door is thinner...
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
You can test your theory easily with a straightedge across the door.

If it is warped or bent, you could try to take the mechanism out and gently reshape the door, but I suspect it's not going to go well. How did the old knobs look on it?

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: You can test your theory easily with a straightedge across the door.

If it is warped or bent, you could try to take the mechanism out and gently reshape the door, but I suspect it's not going to go well. How did the old knobs look on it?

C
The old knobs I tossed in a trash bag mixed in with a bunch of similar looking knobs i took off doors. I can't positively identify which it was..

I didn't think to get a straight edge I'll go check it with a ruler. Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
As I suspected. It's not straight
[attachment=1]****.jpeg[/attachment][attachment=0]****.jpeg[/attachment]
Images
  • fuck.jpeg
  • fuck2.jpeg
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Majority of interior doors are hollow POS. Just veneer stuck on cardboard/particle board usually. Usually around the knob area there's a larger piece of Cardboard or particle board. The piece probably broke when the knob was put in.

Take a look inside you might be able to jam some paint sticks or cardboard back inside to make it true again.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1569 posts
1329 upvotes
Toronto
I'd just crank down the screws holding the handle, that or buy a new door.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4679 posts
3970 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
Best bet would be to put that door in the bag with the old knobs.
If you get a new door, be prepared to cut mortises for the hinges and drill new holes...Door Kit
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
Old knob was cranked on so tight it compressed the POS door so now its warped inwards. You can try and leave the knob off and spray the inside with water to see if it will swell out again. LIGHT sprays though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Majority of interior doors are hollow POS. Just veneer stuck on cardboard/particle board usually. Usually around the knob area there's a larger piece of Cardboard or particle board. The piece probably broke when the knob was put in.

Take a look inside you might be able to jam some paint sticks or cardboard back inside to make it true again.
Yeah it's hollow inside. But the POS is too strong and I can't wedge it true with a paint stick. * sigh *
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2004
5580 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto
tebore wrote: Majority of interior doors are hollow POS. Just veneer stuck on cardboard/particle board usually. Usually around the knob area there's a larger piece of Cardboard or particle board. The piece probably broke when the knob was put in.

I fixed it. Thanks!
ww.jpeg
ww2.jpeg
fix.jpeg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Oni-kun wrote: I fixed it. Thanks!

ww.jpegww2.jpegfix.jpeg
Good job on the hack.