• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2021 4:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1232 posts
64 upvotes

Doorbell camera with motion detection and night vision

I want to put a doorbell camera on the basement door and use it mainly for motion detection (nobody ever rings the bell there) because recently someone tried to steel something from the driveway. Are there any that offer free cloud storage or do you have to subscribe to the services? Are there any out there besides ring and nest? Recommendations? Thx.
7 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16496 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
boneca wrote: I want to put a doorbell camera on the basement door and use it mainly for motion detection (nobody ever rings the bell there) because recently someone tried to steel something from the driveway. Are there any that offer free cloud storage or do you have to subscribe to the services? Are there any out there besides ring and nest? Recommendations? Thx.
Why not just use a Wyze cam or Tapo cam for $30-40?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13262 posts
7986 upvotes
Markham
engineered wrote: Why not just use a Wyze cam or Tapo cam for $30-40?
If you don't pay the $1.50/mo IIRC fee for cloud, you get that 5 min timeout whenever motion is triggered. It's recording onto the SD card but you don't have the event logged. is can be pain if if this camera is where headlights might trigger an event.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3351 posts
2320 upvotes
Toronto
I have a pair of the Nest outdoor cameras and they're great so far. I'd stick one of those up somewhere and be done with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2006
1232 posts
64 upvotes
Does it record motions? Is there a subscription fee to it?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3741 posts
926 upvotes
GTA
I think with Wyze you only get person detection if you subscribe to CamPlus now? Also, I find with Wyze the notifications can sometimes be quite delayed (not often but it does happen).

If you want to steer clear of monthly subscriptions then you could get a Lorex video doorbell which has local storage, nearly instant alerts, person detection, and decent night vision. The cons here though are that if someone steals the thing off the wall your evidence is gone (unless you have a Lorex NVR which backs up the footage).
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16496 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
boneca wrote: Does it record motions? Is there a subscription fee to it?
Yes. No.
I have my Tapo camera up high on the house looking at my driveway. I have motion notifications set, and it saves to SD card, I don't pay for cloud storage, so it's free.
During the night, I have it set to sound it's loud alarm if motion is detected.

If you can't mount it up high, you can put it behind a window, but you'll have to leave a light on as the IR light won't pass through a window.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1639 posts
737 upvotes
For the Wyze, you can turn on continuous recording and it still logs events so if there is an issue, you can get the alert and also have it recording constantly to an internal card. Best of both worlds without having to pay for the subscription. I have my porch camera setup like that.