• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2021 9:27 pm
[OP]
Sep 6, 2012
56 posts
33 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Doorbell Install Question

Hi all, I'm currently trying to install a Wyze Doorbell. My house currently only has one wired doorbell but when I open the chime box, it looks like two sets of wires are connected to the box. I tried troubleshooting but can't seem to figure it out.

I removed the black wire at 3 and turned the power on, and the wired doorbell doesn't ring. I then reconnected the black wire at 3, removed the black wire at 2, turn on the power and the wired doorbell doesn't ring.
I removed the wired doorbell and there is only one black and one red wire connected.

So does this mean that all four wires on the chime are connected to the one wired doorbell?

Thanks in advance.
20210426_103118.jpg
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1454 posts
892 upvotes
Barrie ON
There are 2 pairs of wires entering this box. Each pair has a red & black wire.

Most likely 1 pair provides voltage from the transformer, and the other pair runs to the button at the door. Remove one pair from the terminals and measure the voltage across the 2 wires. The pair from the transformer should read 16 VAC. The pair running to the door will read zero.

I would be more confident with this information if I could read the designations in your box better. I can just make out an outline of 4 battery locations, so I suppose this chime could also be used when an AC supply is not available,

NOTE: removing any wire from a terminal would stop the doorbell from working, as you already experienced.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2012
56 posts
33 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I'm not sure what you mean by designations, but maybe this is what you mean:
- top left with two red wires is numbered 0
- top right with no wire is numbered 1
- bottom left is numbered 3
- bottom right is numbered 2.

Thanks for your response. I unfortunately don't have a voltage meter...
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1454 posts
892 upvotes
Barrie ON
sck007 wrote: Thanks for your response. I unfortunately don't have a voltage meter...
That's unfortunate. An alternate test is to use a short jumper wire to momentarily connect the red & black wires of one pair at a time (while they are still connected to the screws). When the bell rings, you will know that you are jumpering the pair that runs to the button.

NOTE: make the connection for no more than 1 second, because if you jumper he pair from the transformer , it can overheat if the connection is held for a long period.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5145 posts
1563 upvotes
0 downvotes
who ever wired that up was in a hurry, why not fix them up and not leave any exposed copper protruding, make it nice and neat
Hi
[OP]
Sep 6, 2012
56 posts
33 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Thank you all. I ended up using the wire bridge provided with the Wyze camera for the red wires and then connected the black wires directly and it works!