Jun 17, 2013
13655 posts
25852 upvotes
Scarborough

$5 off $10+ pickup orders at participating restaurants

Deal Link:
Retailer:
DoorDash
Save $5 when you place a $10+ order for pickup at participating restaurants on DoorDash. Worked on most restaurants in my area and random other ones I tried around the city. I think it expires tomorrow and is 1 time use per account.

Use code: 5OFFPICKUP
Images
  • IMG_5920.PNG
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 6, 2005
6965 posts
268 upvotes
Toronto
good deal but can anyone explain the service charge? It seems skip is the only one left not to charge this service fee. That is not including tip and delivery fees if applicable.

EDIT: Oops I see this is for pickup
Heat 43-0-0
Jan 12, 2017
110 posts
127 upvotes
vancouver
Do restaurants need to pay a commission to the app for pickup?
Jan 20, 2013
164 posts
241 upvotes
Cold Lake
lazylazybum wrote: Do restaurants need to pay a commission to the app for pickup?
Yes, unfortunately.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4934 posts
2057 upvotes
plznote wrote: Yes, unfortunately.
Of course.

The real question is more like does the restaurant eat the difference or does Doordash?

Example order is $10 and restaurant usually collects $7

In this promo, does the restaurant get $7 or do they only collect $5
Mar 12, 2016
590 posts
685 upvotes
plznote wrote: Yes, unfortunately.
Well using doordash's resource for marketing and online platform can't be free!
Jan 18, 2005
134 posts
19 upvotes
With the inflated prices from door dash this $5 off still saves you a bit if you order the minimum $10. But anything beyond that, it's probably better to call the restaurant directly and place order to get a lower overall bill.

Best deal through this that I found was ordering bubble tea. Price didn't seem too different, so you get an actual savings of almost $5
Apr 6, 2001
180 posts
18 upvotes
Is the $10 minimun order before or after taxes?
thanks.
Sep 21, 2004
10239 posts
4403 upvotes
Calgary
lazylazybum wrote: Do restaurants need to pay a commission to the app for pickup?
Probably same as delivery. 25-30%.
Dec 24, 2004
537 posts
64 upvotes
Windsor
I'm trying to understand this service. You pay someone to place an order for you? But you have to go to the store and pick it up yourself?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1998 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
renoldman wrote: Of course.

The real question is more like does the restaurant eat the difference or does Doordash?

There is also the question as to whether or not many of these restaurants would be able to survive without DoorDash, Skip, UberEats, etc...
Apr 14, 2019
596 posts
516 upvotes
Grimspoon wrote: I'm trying to understand this service. You pay someone to place an order for you? But you have to go to the store and pick it up yourself?
Yes. Not every business wants to build a fancy website with online ordering or handle telephone calls. DoorDash is primarily delivery but some businesses allow pickups as an option. And yes pay for it. That is why rfd exists, to let cheapskates like me find deals on materialistic junk, mostly.
Who do you think you are? Tryna tell me how to live my life. Especially when you live yours like a.......
May 26, 2019
70 posts
459 upvotes
WPG
a local restaurant started doing business with Doordash and Skip this week and they said they'd prefer we use Doordash because they've waived their commissions during the pandemic. For what it's worth
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
8189 posts
47272 upvotes
Ontario
renoldman wrote: Of course.

Yes, however some restaurants pass the 20% fee to the customer. They increase their price in doordash.

Doordash benefits:
- get more potential customers.
- don't need to worry about delivery
- any $5 off or $x off are coming from Doordash. Restaurants don't need to pay for those promos.

Some restaurants in Vancouver are very stingy.
They're not on any delivery app platform.

One restaurant in Vancouver offered "Let's fight this crisis together" promo.

Their delivery is Free delivery when you spend $120 or $9 delivery fee within 5km.
Save $5 when you spend $70
Save $20 when you spend $200

and still charge $2.50 take out fee & extra $1.50 for cold drinks (by adding ice).