• May 28th, 2019 10:37 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga

Doors Open Toronto - May 25 - 26, 2019

Didn't realize it but Doors Open Toronto will be on in a few weeks - May 25-26. This will give some visitors something to do during that weekend. (I signed up for one of the walking tours.)

https://www.toronto.ca/explore-enjoy/fe ... n-toronto/
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15498 posts
12708 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Doors Open Events are awesome
I have to been to quite a few in several different cities over the years

Learn a lot at these events about places we kind of take for granted
Hydro Electric Dams, Drinking Water Filtration Plants, The Supreme Court of Canada, Fire Stations, City Halls, the CNE Toronto, National Archives, Museums, Stratford Theatre, Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City, Niagara Wineries, and a Hydrophonic Farm to name but a few of the more interesting places I have taken a look at from a Behind The Scenes POV

Cool stuff

Great way for Visitors & Locals alike to plan a weekend outing
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
Yeah there's some interesting buildings participating. I've never been to one but I think I'll visit a couple of places for this.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
Reminder this starts tomorrow.

Interested in BIlly Bishop Airport, Design XChange, Bata Museum....
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8643 posts
2567 upvotes
Mississauga
We went to Doors Open today. These are the places we visited in order and what I thought of each visit:

ROM - very nice exhibition of First People's art and culture
UofT Building (Robarts) - boring because I used to go to school here and took books out from Robarts. The grounds are nice tho.
Bata Shoe Museum - this one was fun, glad it was free, I don't think it's worth paying admission for.
New City Hall - boring. This is definitely a dated building so sterile and grey.
Old City Hall - more history than New City Hall but not much to see
Osgoode Hall - this visit was great, we were able to see many rooms and history of this building
Design Exchange and TD Building - this was very lame
City of Toronto Market Gallery - Lame. We went upstairs and looked out the window into St Lawrence Market. The market was closed tho.
Distillery District - Voice Integrative School - very nice tour. The tour guide showed us around the building and told us the history of it. Very nice. Then we went to buy chocolates at Soma and at ramen at Boku!

Walked 16 km in total and was sore the next day.
Last edited by Raggie on May 28th, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 19, 2013
327 posts
311 upvotes
Thanks for the thread. We went on Sunday .. review is as follows ->

Art Museum at the University of Toronto - boring .. nothing much really there.. however the University campus is really nice , it was a wonderful walk in the nice weather

Legislative Assembly of Ontario - we enjoyed this a lot , there were attendants everywhere explaining the queries of the visitors .. Highly recommended.

Artscape Daniels Launchpad - the studio as such is nice , and some of the things were new to us , like how a music recording studio looks like. However the tour was like a promotion for the co-working studio that they have. We were kind of disappointed at this tour.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12076 posts
2221 upvotes
Mississauga
We hit up a few spots:

Don Jail - Pretty cool! We got to go in the old jail cells and solitary confinement cell, which were tiny. Also got to see the gallows where they hanged people. The place has a bit of a Shawshank vibe in terms of architecture.

Citytv - Also neat to see the newsroom and studios. Roger Petersen and a few other journalists were there to meet and greet.

Mackenzie House - Just around the corner from Citytv, so we went from 2019 to 1840 just like that. Cool old house, complete with old house smells!

St. James Cathedral - Largest church in Toronto and very nice. Nothing compared to the great cathedrals of Europe of course, but still nice.