• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2019 1:17 am
[OP]
Mar 18, 2015
220 posts
175 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Double application of corn gluten

So I'm at Costco and there's a big bag of corn gluten. 18kg. I think it's way more than what I need for my lawn.
My lawn is crappy and over run with weeds.
Can I apply corn gluten twice? Like later this week when day time highs are above freezing but night time lows are still below freezing. And then later in April when night time lows are above freezing. I'm thinking I should be weed free until June. But by then, it's too late for weeds to sprout until late summer.

If I do my seeding in June/July is there anything preventing grass from sprouting at that time of the year? I know I'll be late to the party, but better late than never.
2 replies
Mar 1, 2019
34 posts
Where do you dispose used garden soil? I want to add new soil to my front lawn and remove existing soil, which has lots of weed
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15296 posts
8183 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
restie wrote: So I'm at Costco and there's a big bag of corn gluten. 18kg. I think it's way more than what I need for my lawn.
My lawn is crappy and over run with weeds.
Can I apply corn gluten twice? Like later this week when day time highs are above freezing but night time lows are still below freezing. And then later in April when night time lows are above freezing. I'm thinking I should be weed free until June. But by then, it's too late for weeds to sprout until late summer.

If I do my seeding in June/July is there anything preventing grass from sprouting at that time of the year? I know I'll be late to the party, but better late than never.
If your lawn is overran with weeds, corn gluten meal will do NOTHING as it prevents weeds from germinating ONLY if you apply it within a specific window in time (ie BEFORE they germinate). Anything applied outside that window will just become fertilizer as it rots.