Home & Garden

Douglas Bed vs Endy? What's the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 11:24 am
Tags:
Jul 24, 2007
13 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
We just got a Douglas and tried it for the first time last night. Like some others said, it was very firm... hoping to "break it in" for a week and see how that goes. If not we may return it and get a Casper instead. We tried both the Casper and Endy at the showrooms. I really liked the Casper, it has more spring to it and is slightly more firm than the Endy but softer than the Douglas. I found the Endy too soft and definitely does feel more "foamy". I'm also concerned with the Endy it may sink too much over time like our old memory foam top mattress. Hopefully the Douglas will soften up so we won't have to shell out more $ for the Casper.

UPDATE: after a couple nights, the Douglas has softened and now has the perfect firmness. I would say the quality and feel is comparable to the Casper now, without the price tag. We are loving the Douglas!
Last edited by ovaltinemaster on Sep 8th, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
6222 posts
694 upvotes
Quebec
update on the douglas, the slight back pain turned worse, so I guess this is not for me. as the mattress broke in, it got worse for me. either I need a firmer mattress or something else is the reason. sleeping on the douglas without a pillow gave me paralyzing pain that lasted the day until i slept on my old worn out mattress again. not sure if mattress or me.
Aug 20, 2017
4 posts
3 upvotes
ovaltinemaster wrote: We just got a Douglas and tried it for the first time last night. Like some others said, it was very firm... hoping to "break it in" for a week and see how that goes. If not we may return it and get a Casper instead. We tried both the Casper and Endy at the showrooms. I really liked the Casper, it has more spring to it and is slightly more firm than the Endy but softer than the Douglas. I found the Endy too soft and definitely does feel more "foamy". I'm also concerned with the Endy it may sink too much over time like our old memory foam top mattress. Hopefully the Douglas will soften up so we won't have to shell out more $ for the Casper.

UPDATE: after a couple nights, the Douglas has softened and now has the perfect firmness. I would say the quality and feel is comparable to the Casper now, without the price tag. We are loving the Douglas!
Hi ovaltinemaster,

Jack here from Douglas.

Great to hear your mattress has fully broken in and is now at the perfect firmness! Sleep well!

Kind regards,

Jack
Aug 20, 2017
4 posts
3 upvotes
armorofgod5333 wrote: I heard these mattress are either donated to people in need or end in the waste. Tbh I think there many fake review and info online. Mostly reviews with promo codes seems to have sth to do with these companies. I came to redflag forum looking for some honest reviews with regards to which bed is the best bang for your buck.
Hi armorofgod5333,

Jack here from Douglas.

We work with a nationwide network of charities and community organisations to make sure any returned mattresses don't end up in landfill.

It is a company-wide philosophy for both Douglas and Novosbed that returned mattresses are not wasted.

Kind regards,

Jack
Aug 20, 2017
4 posts
3 upvotes
icantfigureoutausername wrote: What do these companies do with the used mattresses that are returned after the trial period?
Hi icantfigureoutaus,

Jack here from Douglas,

We work with a nationwide network of charities and community organisations.

Returned mattresses are picked up and donated to a local group close to the customer requesting the return.

Kind regards,

Jack
Sep 20, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
I got my Douglas King today.

It sure did not unroll like the unboxing videos I have seen. 10 hours later and the king is a bow shaped and less wide then a queen.

Is it because it was packed too long ? The video's I been seeing had it fir the frame properly right away.

On the upside the density seems like what I wanted if this actually shapes up.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I just started to look for a replacement mattress today.

Needs to be a double and not more than 10 inches thick.

Supposedly the best one according to reviewsd I read is the Puffy mattress:

https://puffy.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwr53OBR ... VzEALw_wcB

Anyone have any commentsd on that one?
Aug 20, 2017
66 posts
37 upvotes
krs wrote: I just started to look for a replacement mattress today.

Needs to be a double and not more than 10 inches thick.

Supposedly the best one according to reviewsd I read is the Puffy mattress:

https://puffy.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwr53OBR ... VzEALw_wcB

Anyone have any commentsd on that one?
I recently bough the Silk and Snow mattress (www.silkandsnow.com/) and am really happy with it so far.

The reviews sites seem to rate the Silk and Snow much higher than most of the mattresses available in Canada and it is ranked higher than the puffy.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Can you just keep churning the free trials amongst all those retailers and have a bed for a few years? Thinking Faceor maybe at least for a year temporarily?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
maxppp wrote: I recently bough the Silk and Snow mattress (www.silkandsnow.com/) and am really happy with it so far.

The reviews sites seem to rate the Silk and Snow much higher than most of the mattresses available in Canada and it is ranked higher than the puffy.
Which review sites?
Dec 14, 2009
9 posts
9 upvotes
Southern Vancouver I…
SoroSuub1 wrote: The only people who have are online mattress reviewers, and Purple is busy suing the ones they don't like.
Actually, looks like Purple was in the right on this one - The reviewer they are going after was specifically targeting Purple and being paid by a Purple competitor. Check out honestmattressreviews.com - They were court ordered to post that they are in fact neither honest, nor unbiased. They get what they deserve, and it's a good precedent imo.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
8405 posts
4690 upvotes
mirr wrote: Actually, looks like Purple was in the right on this one - The reviewer they are going after was specifically targeting Purple and being paid by a Purple competitor. Check out honestmattressreviews.com - They were court ordered to post that they are in fact neither honest, nor unbiased. They get what they deserve, and it's a good precedent imo.
HMR's credibility doesn't change the issue of what is this powder and you'll see that Purple will not provide a good answer to that.
Feb 3, 2014
94 posts
73 upvotes
Burlington
I just ordered a Douglas Bed, should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I'll post an update after sleeping on it for a few nights and let you know what I think.
Oct 19, 2017
2 posts
nixonbw wrote: I just ordered a Douglas Bed, should arrive tomorrow or Friday. I'll post an update after sleeping on it for a few nights and let you know what I think.
Checking in to see how your Douglas Bed trial is going, first impressions etc. Thank you.
Feb 3, 2014
94 posts
73 upvotes
Burlington
redflagottawadave wrote: Checking in to see how your Douglas Bed trial is going, first impressions etc. Thank you.
So far after a little over a week on the Douglas both my gf and I are loving it. We used to have a much softer pillow top mattress that we found contributed to back/neck issues every once in a while. The Douglas is a medium-firm, and quite honestly feels like the perfect balance. Another added bonus is there is next to no motion transfer either - I'm 225lbs and my gf is 130lbs, and she can't even tell when I get into or leave the bed.

It's only been a week, but we're quite happy with the switch thus far. The trial period is 120 days, but I don't foresee us having any reason to want to return it. It checks all the boxes in terms of comfort and price, and we've both noticed a significant improvement in the way we feel in the morning - rested and no back issues.

Hope this helps!
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1488 posts
636 upvotes
Has anyone compared this to Casper or Leesa?
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1201 posts
311 upvotes
The density of the comfort layer foam (top layer) in the Douglas Bed is only 2.5 lb (per cubic foot) and that may be after the gel is added, meaning the density of the foam itself could be lower . That's pretty low and would affect the durability of the bed (i.e., how long you find it comfortable). The Endy suffers from the same problem - it's comfort layer is only 3 lb and again that may be after the gel is added.

It's interesting that the Douglas Bed is also made by Novosbed - the Novosbed mattresses are of much higher quality. I suppose the price difference reflects that ($799 vs $1199 for a queen). I also find it amusing that the Douglas Bed site takes digs at companies that provide toppers to adjust firmness when their parent company Novosbed does exactly that.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
Repooc wrote: Will provide an update in about 2 weeks.
Any updates on how the matresses were? What did you and up going with? Were returns with the various companies a hassle? Who came to pick up your returned mattresses? Any update would be much appreciated!
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2005
1031 posts
294 upvotes
Brampton
Not the OP but wanted to let everyone know that I got talked into buying the Sealy Optimum Chill Dior king sized mattress set from Sleep Country. The price difference was just a tad over what the Endy would've cost me.

Now we're not mattress connoisseurs by any means, but man, do my wife and I LOVE sleeping on this mattress. We are comfortable as can be and have a wonderful sleep every night.

All in all, I think it was a great decision buying this over the Endy or one of those home delivery mattresses. The MSRP of the Sealy Optimum Chill Dior King was $3,500 or so but I got it for under $2,000 including box springs.
Aug 8, 2006
108 posts
65 upvotes
KW Area
I’d also like to hear OP’s thoughts! Need a twin XL mattress and have decided on foam, but not sure who to buy first. I tried a Tempurpedic Sense at Leon’s and really liked everything about it but the price. Top layer was the super dense memory foam that you sink into over the course of about a minute.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)