Home & Garden

Douglas Bed vs Endy? What's the difference?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2019 11:24 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
OP checking in....

Sorry it has taken so long for those asking... but here's my final review of all the beds we trialed.
RFD Bed Review

I started a new thread because this one kind of went off the rails.... plus I included some content on our adjustable bases.
Feb 21, 2018
5 posts
Thanks for that thorough review!

I'm (like everyone else) trying to decide what would be best for my situation - and your review should help with my next trial.

I'm currently in my 3rd week with the Endy, and though I LOVE the comfort level when I lie down, I'm waking up every morning with a bit of a sore back. It goes away quickly after I get up, but I suspect that the support just isn't enough for me. I don't find it crunchy at all myself, and the sink is just right for me - but the edge support is non-existent (I'm almost afraid to sleep to close to the edge for feel of rolling off) and the sore lower back thing might be a deal-breaker.

I know they supply a free topper, but quite frankly if I need a topper for my bed I might as well just get a super cheap bed and a good topper myself. I was thinking about the Douglas next - as it seems to be a little firmer, but the Silk and Snow might be another good choice. Would you say it was firmer than the Endy?

Cheers!
May 29, 2011
3 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
REALBAUCE wrote: So what are you getting instead?
We got the Novosbed firm. It's been a month now and the difference in comfort is striking. There is no way we'll return it. We should have just forked out the money and gotten this one in the first place, but I guess we had to go through the trial process ourselves.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
4451 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
seanpatrick1976 wrote: Thanks for that thorough review!

I'm (like everyone else) trying to decide what would be best for my situation - and your review should help with my next trial.

I'm currently in my 3rd week with the Endy, and though I LOVE the comfort level when I lie down, I'm waking up every morning with a bit of a sore back. It goes away quickly after I get up, but I suspect that the support just isn't enough for me. I don't find it crunchy at all myself, and the sink is just right for me - but the edge support is non-existent (I'm almost afraid to sleep to close to the edge for feel of rolling off) and the sore lower back thing might be a deal-breaker.

I know they supply a free topper, but quite frankly if I need a topper for my bed I might as well just get a super cheap bed and a good topper myself. I was thinking about the Douglas next - as it seems to be a little firmer, but the Silk and Snow might be another good choice. Would you say it was firmer than the Endy?

Cheers!
The silk+snow is light years more comfortable and firmer/supportive than the endy. That really comes down to higher quality foam used. I think you'll find that the edge support on the s+s to be significantly better too. I think all memory foam beds suffer from edge support in one way or another, but I find the likes of endy and casper to be the worst offenders of this. Now, it also depends on how heavy you are too. Like I mentioned, my wife is pretty tiny, so the edge support on her casper is not so much an issue for her.

But when it comes down to "bedroom acrobatic activities" you can probably guess which mattress is preferred over the other.
Dec 24, 2008
5 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Glad I found this thread. Was thinking about getting the Endy first, then came across Silk + Snow which looked like a much better option for a little bit more. After some research I stumbled upon the Douglas and ordered yesterday as it seemed to be firmer than Endy and perhaps better quality. I've never had a memory foam mattress but am curious to see if it will provide a better sleep than a cheap queen coil pillow top that I've had for years for a bigger guy like me (6'1 210 lbs).

Generally the old mattress has been OK but I want to see if memory foam proves to be more comfortable with less tossing and turning and a better night's sleep. I'll post back my experience once I get a chance to properly test it out. As others have said the online mattress marketplace is so overwhelming but at least you get a good trial period to find out for yourself.
Dec 24, 2008
5 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
So far it's been a week in. The Douglas bed came in nice and prompt via FedEx and was easy to unbox/settle in the bed frame (not the best presentation of the package, but I don't care). It does not sit perfectly symmetrical in the bed frame but some of it has to do with it wanting to expand past the frame, some of it the contour of the cover they use. No chemical smell whatsoever and I put a mattress protector couple nights in. The feel is extra-firm from what I'd have thought from a memory foam mattress would provide. This can be too much depending on your preference - nearly the same firmness as my pillow-top when fully laying on it. Mid-back soreness still occurs for me so far - on and off - if I sleep on my back, with some lower back soreness emerging too (which wasn't there before). It might just be the adjustment period so I'll give it another couple of weeks. I'm a side sleeper usually and I find my arms get curved a bit too much since they can't fully sink in the mattress due to the firmness. Can't make a call if it's better or worse than the traditional mattress yet, but there's way less bounce.

I did try out the Endy today at a physical location and the foam was WAY softer, not sure if this is good or bad long-term (and I'm sure it will depend on preference), but it felt real nice and comfy the few minutes I tested it. The cover material felt more premium too. If I were to return the Douglas, I'd like to try out Silk+Snow first before buying any other one as it seems it may be the better option.
Dec 24, 2008
5 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I promised a review session a month ago and it is about that time, although I feel it's still too early to conclude. But I ordered the Silk + Snow to compare while the Douglas trial is still active. It has only been a night so far, but oh what a difference! S+S has the true memory foam feel where it contours your body while offering pressure-point relief for bones and all if you are a side-sleeper. It's been the most comfortable sleep even though I got used to the Douglas over the last 2 weeks or so. Compared to the old pillow-top spring mattress, which we threw out yesterday, Silk + Snow is absolutely fantastic - one night in. Now, the Douglas is great in itself for what it is, but I think the extra 0.5" of memory foam made all the difference. Not to mention all the materials feel way more premium for $200 extra. As it stands now, S+S for sure, but I have another 3 months on Douglas to compare. Unfortunately my pad is too small to lay side-by-side, so I'll have to alternate between the two, but I'll try to keep this thread updated for any potential interested parties.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
After a bunch of reading we bought a Queen-sized Douglas, and loved it immediately, 3 nights in now. I'll report back if that changes. We would not want it any softer, feels just right for us. I'm a side-sleeper. Even in the current heat-wave, it feels cool, cosy and great. I have not tried any other foam mattress to compare, other than lying on some Ikea ones in-store.

I was worried about "edge support" or whatever that's called, but it's not an issue. The very faint smell dissipated after a day or so. This was a worry: my wife is super-allergic and sensitive, we both live scent-free and dislike perfumed products, and off-gassing plastics. "New car smell" is gross to us. But the Douglas was fine in that regard. There were other brands we steered clear of for this reason, reports of off-gassing smells. So between that, reports of good firmness, it being a Canadian company, and a good price, we went for the Douglas.

It was so infuriating not being able to trust the posts and online reviews. These companies should focus on their product, not doing online BS promo. Almost turned me off the idea of buying a home-delivery foam mattress at all. There should be a shill police to shut down the fraudsters who post fake crap. If you want to buy an ad to support this fine site, do so, otherwise, manufacturers, please STFU.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2010
1176 posts
480 upvotes
MooseOnLoose wrote: After a bunch of reading we bought a Queen-sized Douglas, and loved it immediately, 3 nights in now. I'll report back if that changes. We would not want it any softer, feels just right for us. I'm a side-sleeper. Even in the current heat-wave, it feels cool, cosy and great. I have not tried any other foam mattress to compare, other than lying on some Ikea ones in-store.

I was worried about "edge support" or whatever that's called, but it's not an issue. The very faint smell dissipated after a day or so. This was a worry: my wife is super-allergic and sensitive, we both live scent-free and dislike perfumed products, and off-gassing plastics. "New car smell" is gross to us. But the Douglas was fine in that regard. There were other brands we steered clear of for this reason, reports of off-gassing smells. So between that, reports of good firmness, it being a Canadian company, and a good price, we went for the Douglas.

It was so infuriating not being able to trust the posts and online reviews. These companies should focus on their product, not doing online BS promo. Almost turned me off the idea of buying a home-delivery foam mattress at all. There should be a shill police to shut down the fraudsters who post fake crap. If you want to buy an ad to support this fine site, do so, otherwise, manufacturers, please STFU.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts a few months later
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2008
1327 posts
993 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
Dante19 wrote: I'm curious to hear your thoughts a few months later
Well, after 2 months we still love it. No issues whatsover, a great, comfy mattress, and we've just been through a heat wave with no AC, so if that were an issue, we would have suffered. Again, I haven't actually slept on any other brands, but we love our Douglas. Glad we didn't spend more.

And if I catch any of these mattress companies getting shill-happy and thinking they can create fake "reviews" here, or negative comments about their competition, I'll be reporting to mods. It's disgusting, please spend your effort on making good product, not on misleading folks.
Aug 7, 2018
1 posts
So my wife and I are now in the market for a new bed we currently have a sleep number bed that is well over 10 years old not saying it’s bad just saying that I can no longer read the numbers on the remote because well it doesn’t work remote works I can pump the bed up and lower the pressure but can’t read what number the sleep number is at anyway have been reading this form and these reviews on the Douglas bed and have decided to give them a go instead of getting a king size Single mattress my wife and I have decided to go with the adjustable bed another member on here posted something from Amazon showing the adjustable bed basically at half the price that I’ve seen from sleep country it’s not more than half the price anyway we’ve decided to go that route and get the adjustable beds and then put the Douglas mattress on top of that so we’ve decided to each get a twin XL and will see how things go from there I will be sure to update everybody once I make the order and the beds arrive and we had some time to sleep on it
Nov 10, 2018
1 posts
You know all the ones you return end up being trashed. They say they donate them but due to bed bug scare nobody wants them so the majority are in landfill
Banned
Dec 4, 2009
42 posts
61 upvotes
BC, Canada
Surprised no one has tried Purple yet. It's the one that interests me the most just because its the only one that uses a different/new material. All the others are just variations of foam.

Thinking about ordering one myself but was hoping to find a sale. Doesn't seem like Purple goes on sale very often, and only offers occasional promo's like free sheets/pillow.
Jul 1, 2008
282 posts
52 upvotes
I've been considering the Endy for a while now and we're finally ready to order a new bed so started researching more. Then came across the Douglas and was 90% sure we were going to order that (I prefer firmer beds with more edge support), and now thanks to this thread the S&S which is a brand that I hadn't heard of. So looking at the S&S Site now with their Black Friday sale, brings their King size down to $875 from $1100. The Douglas is $850 after $50 off. All 3 are Canadian made which is what we wanted to buy. With this sale maybe I should jump on the S&S bed and if it doesn't work out trial the Douglas. I won't lose sleep over missing out on a $50 discount.
Does the S&S beds get hot? That was another plus for the Douglas (for me).
As others in this thread have alluded to, it's next to impossible to get unbiased reviews out there as more are sponsored by one company or another, or paid reviewers, etc.
Dec 11, 2018
1 posts
I just bought a Douglas and I am so happy with it. I suffer back and neck pain and also a side sleeper. I was amazed with the Douglas Bed. I have been using it for almost a week now and I normally would wake up with a stiff pain In my back. Sleeping on a Douglas bed I felt much better. It didn’t 100 % relieve my back pain but it certainly made my sleep much better. Price wise... much affordable than any other beds. I am planning to buy another one for my sons room.
Images
  • 5F9F1D55-E481-4D58-9A3B-5E158FCC71BB.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3971 posts
386 upvotes
Hubby and I are both stomach sleepers and prefer firm mattresses, as the body kinda forms a 'bow' with soft mattresses. We've been wanting to try the Douglas Bed, since it's a bit firmer than the Endy. Anyone here who's a stomach sleeper able to comment on their experiences?
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I tried the Purple pillow and it was actually pretty good just that it was a little to low for me. And funny enough the return policy has the option to cut the pillow in half and send a photo. Then they return your money lol.

I would expect the bed to be comfortable also but from the videos I saw on youtube its very heavy.
Jan 23, 2019
1 posts
I bought a Douglas last August. I love it, so does my husband. I find my arms no longer go numb. I am going to purchase one for my daughter.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3098 posts
4574 upvotes
West GTA
Can the mods not police this thread a bit better? There are a number of very obvious advertising accounts on this page alone.
Dec 3, 2014
70 posts
73 upvotes
St. Albert, AB
You mean to tell me that melinda717789 and VeronicaN99763 weren’t so impressed with their mattress purchase that they signed up specifically to give a positive review?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)