Real Estate

Locked: Downtown condo listings up 161% in first 3 weeks of August compared to last year

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 2nd, 2020 12:28 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3929 posts
3128 upvotes
choclover wrote: Nailed it!

Also, combine this with the excessive and ever-increasing property taxes and taxpayers are starting to ask themselves if they are crazy to subject themselves to such insanity.

I heard that U-Haul's business is going through the roof.
But Toronto has very low property taxes, lowest by far in GTA
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
183 upvotes
toronto
joepipe wrote: the liberals let it get out of control, riots and statue heads getting ripped off are what liberals are all about....
This.

For the sake of votes, Leftist governments at all levels are letting a vocal and tiny minority get out of hand resulting in anarchy, statues being taken down, places being burnt, etc. The demand to defund police in such times is like retiring the fire brigade when the city has several active fire hotspots.

Covid is just adding to ongoing bigger issues that need to be addressed asap. Without order there is no prosperity. Real estate like other investments depends on that. Liberals need to go.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12594 posts
7827 upvotes
How many people actually live downtown? So much fear mongering Face With Tears Of Joy.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3929 posts
3128 upvotes
als98 wrote: This.

For the sake of votes, Leftist governments at all levels are letting a vocal and tiny minority get out of hand resulting in anarchy, statues being taken down, places being burnt, etc. The demand to defund police in such times is like retiring the fire brigade when the city has several active fire hotspots.

Covid is just adding to ongoing bigger issues that need to be addressed asap. Without order there is no prosperity. Real estate like other investments depends on that. Liberals need to go.
But by this rationale the liberals created all this success in the first place?

What anarchy is in Toronto?

But in broader sense, anarchy is driving a car into a crowd and shooting into a crowd that seems to be more of an exclusive conservative thing at least in the states

Here they just destroy rainbow crosswalks and synagogues and temples mostly along with other petty crimes
Nov 26, 2012
278 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Please leave the conspiracy theories to reddit. This is a real estate forum. There is no anarchy in Toronto. The protests have resulted in no commercial damage and only a few statues that most Torontonians have never noticed. One of the statues I walked past pretty much every week and I had no idea what it was...

As for the police, I have found them useless in most situations. They no longer deal with noise complaints or most traffic accidents. And if you have any other complaint, you'll quickly find that they file a report and it goes nowhere. How many shootings did it take in the SUBURBS before they realized there is a tow truck mob? lol. I live by King St West and the Toronto police seem to mainly flirt with young women who stop by to chat with them while standing around King and Portland. When I see that, I always wonder why I'm paying them 6-figures...and they don't wear masks either.
Nov 26, 2012
278 posts
247 upvotes
Toronto
Most buildings I've looked at seem to have a normal amount of listings. More similar to levels I would expect in peak April or May period than August. This is not surprising as many people probably couldn't or wouldn't list during the shutdown. I would be curious to see the numbers in comparison to # of listings in April 2019.

I would say that the notoriously AirBnB heavy buildings have a lot of listings. 10-12-14 York together have 60+ for sale. Maybe this will let people in the market that couldn't afford it....
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12594 posts
7827 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: But by this rationale the liberals created all this success in the first place?

What anarchy is in Toronto?

But in broader sense, anarchy is driving a car into a crowd and shooting into a crowd that seems to be more of an exclusive conservative thing at least in the states

Here they just destroy rainbow crosswalks and synagogues and temples mostly along with other petty crimes
Agreed. I don't understand the political talk.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
8727 posts
9544 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
als98 wrote: This.

As you can see there’s a group “nope, downtown is fine....fantastic even”. Let them stay down there. Better for the rest of us anyways.
"It is in times of great fear or greed that the most opportunity exists."
Aug 11, 2020
49 posts
18 upvotes
price per sq feet in condos at downtown core has also gone down

will be interesting to see where this goes
Mar 2, 2017
418 posts
508 upvotes
Markham
niche54 wrote: Most buildings I've looked at seem to have a normal amount of listings. More similar to levels I would expect in peak April or May period than August. This is not surprising as many people probably couldn't or wouldn't list during the shutdown. I would be curious to see the numbers in comparison to # of listings in April 2019.

I would say that the notoriously AirBnB heavy buildings have a lot of listings. 10-12-14 York together have 60+ for sale. Maybe this will let people in the market that couldn't afford it....
"normal" amount of listings? Numbers from TRREB should be out tomorrow most likely and will confirm, but condo inventory is WAY up. Toronto has roughly double the inventory right compared to seasonal listings. I don't know how much and how fast /if any pressure will be shown in listing prices, but listings are nowhere near normal.
Realtor, Investor, CPA
May 28, 2012
11005 posts
3161 upvotes
Saskatoon
thread derailed with off topic and political discussion