Downtown Hyundai - got back my car with everything robbed/ransacked

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2023 8:21 am
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Presuming the McDonald's condiments, utensils, napkins weren't in OP's car already, sadly it does look like some kind of vagrant used it to get a night's sleep, then took off in the am, with the stuff (which has surely been fenced for drug money by now) :( Hopefully car doesn't stink too bad and hopefully OP has cleaned it out thoroughly since.
All of that stuff was mine, I had a plastic bag full of extra sauces/napkins/utensils from drive thru visits over the months.

In my trunk I keep a pillow/blankets incase I nap in my car if I am tired. Upon examining them, they all had black grease marks, often found on the gloves of mechanics since they touch greasy mechanical parts...

My car rear seats and trunks are limo tinted. You can't see belongings inside.

I strongly believe a technician saw all the stuff in my trunk and took them.

The Downtown Hyundai dealership drives your car to a near by facility where they do repairs. It is very possible for a tech to make a pit stop during this journey and take all your stuff. I think this is what happened to me.

My dash cam did not pick anything up because I forgot to put the sd card in after my most recent incident the night before which I posted in the dashcam thread.

Here it is again

Funny part is, the thief didn't take my dashcam which is worth close to $150.

Had I had the memory card in oh man, this would have been amazing, since I'd probably have voice recordings of the guy going through my stuff

Technician left the repair facility knowing lots of stuff is in my car, made a pit stop on the way back to the dealership to remove all my belongings, went through all my stuff and left his greasy finger prints on my pillow/blankets in the trunk, drove to the dealership, parked, and then made a mess by dumping everything in the glove box and center console onto the floor to make it look like a random thief went in and took everything.
Images
  • PXL_20210128_010734272.jpg
  • PXL_20210128_010728939.jpg
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
“Thanks for the f shack” signed dirty mike and the boys lol . Sorry op Toronto is becoming quite the shit hole these days.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2017
1733 posts
1797 upvotes
I used to live 5 mins away from this location. I had one bad experience with them for a simple question so like the Crapstar next door, avoided them like the plague and drove the 20 mins to one of the other downtown Hyundai locations. Sorry to hear you’re going through this, keeping fingers crossed you can work it out!
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
ok i

for me, op lost all credibility...

that dash cam?...wtf who taught you to drive? you ran a red light there!

your pillow is greasy?...mechanics wear gloves 99% of the time..homeless people don't wash and everything gets dirty when they touch it....now you think a mechanic would risk his job and a criminal record to steal your crap?...

first time DT?

homelesss do this ALL THE TIME!

your disregard for the HTA has come back to bite you , first with getting something thrown at you , and second having a homeless take your stuff.

karma is a bitch, and I have ZERO compassion for someone that endangers peoples lives on the road NOT driving by the law...minor speeding is OK...running reds and other stupid moves that put peoples lives in danger (like what you did) not so much..

karma got you...you were owed at least that.

as someone that drove extensively for a living..dick moves like you showed in your footage, I have no respect or time for....looks like just rewards for past actions
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1252 posts
1871 upvotes
@home
No Hyundai tech wants your stuff and would do this much "damage"

TLDR; judging by the area of said dealership, you done got robbed by a crackhead.

I call BS

TO THE MOON RocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocketRocket
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
Horrible story. Dealer didn't lock the doors and a crackhead took advantage of it.

Surprised that a Hyundai dealer had to wait days for a starter motor - is their supply line not better than that?
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
BengaliPrince wrote: Bla bla bla
You know what the worst part of this whole story is? You blew $600 on 3 pairs of shoes. Why are you worried about $50 when your buying overpriced junk and 5hrn have to return it.

$600 in shoes????? Unbelievable!

I hope they last that crackhead a long time atleast
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
tmkf_patryk wrote: You know what the worst part of this whole story is? You blew $600 on 3 pairs of shoes. Why are you worried about $50 when your buying overpriced junk and 5hrn have to return it.

They were Christmas gifts and I had to buy two sizes because you can't just walk into a store and try them on now days lol

And that's besides the point, the fact that someone went through a customer's car and they claim to not have any cameras is still unacceptable.

Like don't they check the car to make sure it's ready before calling the customer to pick it up?

I went to pickup my car within 30 mins of them calling me to pick it up.

430pm, infront of the dealership entrance in broad daylight with ppl coming in and out of the store and workers running around the lot going to random cars, I doubt a random crackhead showed up and went through every inch of the car without being noticed
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
BengaliPrince wrote: My dash cam did not pick anything up because I forgot to put the sd card in after my most recent incident the night before which I posted in the dashcam thread.

Here it is again
you do realize a red light means stop right?

Turning right on a red requires you to make a FULL STOP behind the stop line and proceed with caution if the way is clear.

EDIT: Maybe the crackhead lady in the video found your car? I don't see how it's a Technician.
Last edited by Swerny on Jan 28th, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2126 posts
1449 upvotes
Durham
Another wondering how a dealership can claim they do not have camera. Especially in an area they store cars. I call BS on them. Maybe a police report will cause them to “realize” they have cameras in the area. Did you look around? Again I just don’t believe there are no cameras.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4533 posts
5071 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It's pretty common for homeless/randoms to walk around trying car doors to see if they're unlocked. Dealership should have cameras but no way they're going to take any responsibility for the property left in the car.
BengaliPrince wrote: Here it is again
You do know that red lights mean stop right?
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Unfortunately OP is in a pickle. You more than likely signed a contract that stipulates they are not responsible for damage or theft for vehicles left on their private lot, hence the reason why they stated more than once it wasn't their employees to wiggle out of any other responsibility. Yes liability falls on them if they didn't lock the doors but you'll never know. Your best bet WAS to have reported a theft and maybe if a responding cop showed up, they might have been able to force them to cough up surveillance footage if it did exist.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 30, 2007
384 posts
293 upvotes
Real likely reason as some people indicated here is a homeless person got into your car after the tech forgot to lock your car. This happens often in parking lots especially in the core. Happened in GO train stations pre-covid all the time. Also happens in neighbourhoods around the city. It happened to me when I stupidly forgot to lock my doors over night. Some spare change was stolen and a bag of shoes in the trunk. Loose items all over the floor. Funny enough it was a bag of athletic cleats (aka gross) and the thief ended up chucking them on someone's lawn about 2 blocks down. These people comb through the lots every night and pull on door handles. Easy pickings.

The lack of security cams is BS imo and could point the liability to the tech forgetting to lock your car. Did you scope the lot to see if this is true? Not that anything could be done about it as similar to any shop that works on your car, they are not responsible for lost of stolen items. It would be idiotic for a technician to do this and at the very least, try to leave no trace of it instead of leaving everything all over the floor. Why would a tech steal random pairs of new shoes?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
shawn01 wrote: “Thanks for the f shack” signed dirty mike and the boys lol . Sorry op Toronto is becoming quite the shit hole these days.
You must be new. Toronto always had these problems and they used to be much worse. Gentrification has pushed a lot of the problems out of the city.
chimaican wrote: Unfortunately OP is in a pickle. You more than likely signed a contract that stipulates they are not responsible for damage or theft for vehicles left on their private lot, hence the reason why they stated more than once it wasn't their employees to wiggle out of any other responsibility. Yes liability falls on them if they didn't lock the doors but you'll never know. Your best bet WAS to have reported a theft and maybe if a responding cop showed up, they might have been able to force them to cough up surveillance footage if it did exist.
Pretty sure the dealer is responsible for anything that happens to the car while it is in their care. They will try to say they aren't to avoid paying out, so OP may need to threaten to sue for damages. Only problem is how can OP prove it happened at the dealer. It would be easier if there was damage to the car.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
tmkf_patryk wrote: You know what the worst part of this whole story is? You blew $600 on 3 pairs of shoes. Why are you worried about $50 when your buying overpriced junk and 5hrn have to return it.

its irrelevant how much he paid for shoes its his money, he can do as he pleases with it, the point is dealer had his car and is responsible for it and should pay.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
BengaliPrince wrote: On Friday Jan 22 I dropped off my car at Downtown Hyundai in Toronto for a repair.

Jame's the service manager called me later in the day saying their going to keep my car until Wednesday Jan 27 as they have to order some parts to complete the repair. (A new starter motor was ordered under warranty)

Today (Wed Jan 27) they called me to pickup my car, I went to the dealership, did the paperwork my car after they give me the keys I walk to my car and the first thing I see is a mess on the floor (See the photo attached)

--

Then I talk to the manager ( Quaison Parris ) and he repeats the same thing. I tell him I'd like to see security camera footage and he immediately says their facilities have no cameras, someone drives my car from the dealership to the actual repair facility and it stays there locked until it's time to back to the dealership. They are not responsible for lost or stolen goods. .
BengaliPrince wrote:
I went to pickup my car within 30 mins of them calling me to pick it up.

430pm, infront of the dealership entrance in broad daylight with ppl coming in and out of the store and workers running around the lot going to random cars, I doubt a random crackhead showed up and went through every inch of the car without being noticed
The ransacking and theft didn’t occur on their main lot so how quickly you came and how busy it was are irrelevant. The incident happened after hours when it was parked at their secondary repair facility nearby or it happened after hours on their main lot. Plenty of opportunity for a druggie or homeless guy to access an unlocked vehicle on Friday overnight, Saturday overnight, any time on Sunday, Monday overnight, or Tuesday night.

Probably failed to lock it up when moving back and forth one of several times that it moved. Probably went to secondary location and parked, then moved inside to conform diagnosis and moved back outside again, then moved inside to repair and moved outside again when repair completed, then moved again to main lot to prepare for pick up. So there were probably several chances for them to slip up and fail to lock it up and it just takes being left overnight once for something to happen.

All that said, the bright side is that it could have been worse if there was an actual break-in and damage to the vehicle as well as the theft. Still, it sucks either way. You might have gotten further with the dealership if you pressed them on being sloppy not locking the vehicle up rather than accusing their employees of theft. Once the have their backs up with such an accusation there’s not going to be any sympathy from their side.

Options:
Unfortunately, police aren’t going to get too deeply involved for such a petty crime but you should file a report and see if you get lucky and they at least do a cursory investigation and interview the dealer (might get them to be more sympathetic with you).

Since they’re standing by their work order clause denying liability you’ll have to take them to small claims court and fight it out that way. Having a police report would help your case. It’ll take a while and is uncertain, but if you win you’ll get the satisfaction you’re looking for.

Fastest option will be to go through insurance (probably need police report too).

And of course you can keep on applying pressure directly and via social media and hope for the best - just don’t hold your breath.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Further, don't expect help from Head Office either. They won't even accept responsible for exploding glass sunroofs or exploding Theta II engines.
Everyday I drive my 12 Tucson I wonder if I'll be one of the ones where the engine blows. Hyundai and KIA keep dragging their heels with acknowledging and accepting responsibly for a faulty defective engine - only adding a few models at a time hoping that owners will change vehicles before the engine blows. I'm still pissed they recalled the 12 Sportage but not the Tucson even though they're built on the same platform and are identical except for the exterior finishes, but same bones.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
Hyundai Responded to my Facebook post this morning saying someone will reach out to me shortly, it's 1:33pm now and nothing yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if no no one called

I don't expect them to reimburse me, and I'm not going to go through an insurance claim for a measly $600-700 theft as my insurance is clean.

I just wanted to make sure Hyundai was aware stuff like this is happening

In regards to the red light in my dash cam video, yes I am aware it's not allowed and mentioned that in my post in the RFD Dashcam thread.

Just a lesson to never leave stuff in your cars, esp when handing to dealers.

I never go tot he dealers unless it's for a warranty claim, but I for sure wont be returning to this one.