Downtown Toronto condo with no locker?

• Last Updated:
  • May 26th, 2019 6:39 pm
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
882 posts
151 upvotes

Downtown Toronto condo with no locker?

My sister is looking to purchase a condo in downtown Toronto within a 10 min walk to Rogers Centre. It's gonna be around $500K but many that she has seen don't come with a locker.

Is this normal? Wouldn't it affect resale value? She's looking at studios so space is limited as it is.

Any advice would be great.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2029 posts
1420 upvotes
Yes it's normal, especially in today's market and investor purchased condos where they are looking to rent out or flip.

When we were purchasing our condos we were debating on whether to purchase a locker but were advised against it since it wouldn't be worth the extra cost in maintenance fees and you wouldn't get extra rent for it.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13852 posts
10098 upvotes
Does not affect resale value IMO. She can always rent one. They’re pretty cheap$50-100/ month. Also see some for sale. A lot of people do not buy them and so builders end up having to sell at a discount to get rid of them. Have seen that happen a number of times already.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2029 posts
1420 upvotes
I think the issue is also that unlike older condos where the size of the locker was pretty big (4x4, floor to ceiling) many of these now are literally the size of storage lockers that are the size of the storage lockers at Goodlife (or maybe slightly bigger).
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
3587 posts
682 upvotes
What does she plan to use the locker for?

Does she need it for... winter tires? Sporting equipment?

It is best used for things that are not required frequently. I've heard of rare cases where someone has used it to store extra pantry items (paper towels, toilet paper, canned goods) but IMO, it is way too filthy and dusty for me to go down there regularly. I've only used mine for boxes that I dont' throw out in case I moved... lol... So I've held onto my original tv boxes to save a whopping $20-30 on buying a moving box for a tv.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1036 posts
1392 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Yes, units without lockers are common, obviously if you have one is a good thing but it all depends on how much was the cost etc. Not a deal breaker, she will sell DT condo in the future with no problems.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Dec 5, 2009
426 posts
435 upvotes
Yes not a problem. If its a studio you are not meant to spend much time in it.. i doubt theres much storage space or much of a kitchen or countertop to cook or meal prep anyways.