Entertainment

Dr. Death (2021 TV series)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 14th, 2022 5:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6601 posts
6079 upvotes

Dr. Death (2021 TV series)

Edit: I just finished watching this series based on a true story (I looked up the story and series is pretty accurate) - it's not that this guy intentionally butchered 30+ and killed 2 people that is disgusting and horrifying, it's that the checks and balances in place to prevent this failed all because of greed and money. The hospitals knew but didn't disclose it, instead they wrote him a recommendation and he just did it at another hospital. When 2 doctors finally did something about it the legal system didn't care and wasn't going to do anything until a young ADA took the case - that's what the series is about, documenting the events. The end credits reveal that doctor error is the 3rd leading cause of deaths in America.

I highly recommend this series especially to all the people constantly hating on Canada. I'm so grateful and thankful that while not perfect, we have a really good healthcare system and appropriate checks and balance to prevent a lot of stuff that happens in the US (not just health-related but also financial, legal, etc.). I still have a hard time understanding why so many people think the US is great - yeah great if you're white and/or rich.


I didn't see a thread on this series. Anyone watch this yet? Saw the ad - looks good. I'm going to start it this week.

Last edited by TomRFD on Aug 20th, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated title
8 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 23, 2007
15081 posts
7929 upvotes
Toronto
I put a heads up in the medical dramas thread
Already available elsewhere but premiering Sep 12 on Showcase
jenviea wrote: OT but the real life facts behind this miniseries has haunted me discovered after reading about the adaptation

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6601 posts
6079 upvotes
jenviea wrote: I put a heads up in the medical dramas thread
Already available elsewhere but premiering Sep 12 on Showcase
I just finished watching it and it prompted me to update the OP lol

Well acted. I loathe Joshua Jackson's character (Dr. Death)...revolting, he did a really good job of playing the role to evoke such a reaction from me.

Christian Slater did a great job too - he added some humour and liveliness.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 2, 2003
3816 posts
2782 upvotes
B.C.
hierophant wrote: I just finished watching it and it prompted me to update the OP lol

Well acted. I loathe Joshua Jackson's character (Dr. Death)...revolting, he did a really good job of playing the role to evoke such a reaction from me.

Christian Slater did a great job too - he added some humour and liveliness.
I really, really tried to watch it, because I'm a big fan of Joshua Jackson and medical dramas. But I couldn't LOL. It was too awful. Particularly because it really happened and it could happen to any of us. Having said that, I think it was probably my loss from a drama perspective.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6601 posts
6079 upvotes
TheHans wrote: I really, really tried to watch it, because I'm a big fan of Joshua Jackson and medical dramas. But I couldn't LOL. It was too awful. Particularly because it really happened and it could happen to any of us. Having said that, I think it was probably my loss from a drama perspective.
Did you only watch the first episode? If yes, I get it - it was hard for me and I cringed but the first episode is the worst in case you wanted to give it another shot. Based on your other posts - I think you would enjoy it.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 2, 2003
3816 posts
2782 upvotes
B.C.
hierophant wrote: Did you only watch the first episode? If yes, I get it - it was hard for me and I cringed but the first episode is the worst in case you wanted to give it another shot. Based on your other posts - I think you would enjoy it.
I don't even think we got halfway through the first episode -- I remember the scene where we stopped. It was between Baldwin and Slater in Baldwin's office. Slater was super annoying with his behaviour of being above everyone. Or maybe I just don't like Slater's acting LOL. Anyway, it wasn't so far I admit. I might re-think it based on what you said.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 5, 2004
26733 posts
5867 upvotes
I will watch the series at some point because it sounds good. Where you lost me is when you felt the need to label the US as inferior to us based on this series.
We have had many of our own disgraced doctors, nurses, pathologists, etc. There's that saying about glass houses.

Just look at Charles Smith. How many lives were destroyed due to his actions?
There's also Elizabeth Wettlaufer. She killed 8 people.

There's plenty more too. You claim Canada isn't perfect, yet you clearly have a superiority complex as it pertains to your citizenship vs the US. I don't mean to be insulting, that's not my intention. I'm trying to drive home the fact that you're right, we're not perfect. I'd take it a step further though and say we're just as bad as the US, at least in terms of medical professionals being able to get away with criminal activity/negligence. We have checks and balances, but so does the Us. The reality is, professionals in both countries are given a very long leash and rarely challenged. Those checks and balances are often ignored because we put so much trust into our professionals.

Top