Food & Drink

Dr.Oetker Giuseppe Frozen Pizza is getting a downsize (probably stock up if you haven't)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2018 2:53 pm
[OP]
Nov 9, 2010
745 posts
873 upvotes
Montreal

Dr.Oetker Giuseppe Frozen Pizza is getting a downsize (probably stock up if you haven't)

Was at my groceries and noticed Dr.Oetker Giuseppe frozen pizzas were on special.
Was going to pick one up when I noticed the packaging was different.

That's when i noticed that they have begun downsizing their pizzas.
In the pictures you can see:
- Their canadian pizza went from 850g to 740g (13% reduction)
- Their pepperoni pizza went from 830g to 720g (13.25% reduction)

Also interestingly they also applied a slight of hand by increasing the box's thickness in order to make the new smaller pizza look larger in both examples.

Now they could have just changed the dough recipe, but i'm fairly certain any type of change nowadays to a smaller size is generally just to increase profits or decrease costs.
Both of which generally helps the manufacturer.

So if you enjoy this pizza, I would recommend grabbing them while the shelves still have the older format.
Maybe someone is interested in purchasing them both and comparing what kind of change they've done.
IMG_20181013_174500.jpg

IMG_20181013_174506.jpg
6 replies
Jan 13, 2007
288 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Very interesting observation! I'm surprised they stocked both versions on the same shelf at the same time. I will make note of the product weight the next time I'm at the supermarket.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
woofster wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 1:28 pm
Very interesting observation! I'm surprised they stocked both versions on the same shelf at the same time. I will make note of the product weight the next time I'm at the supermarket.
Also interesting how they try to trick us into believing that $3.99 is a good sale price.
When it goes back to $5.99, I guess we're still not supposed to notice the new size.
(even though I could have sworn the regular price was actually $6.99...oh well)
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3355 posts
1217 upvotes
I need to eat 2 of these to be remotely full. At these prices it's cheaper to go down to MCD for 2 mcdoubles instead and still have enough left over for a drink.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8742 posts
825 upvotes
At these prices and size, I'd rather order at Pizza Hut or Dominos
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9037 posts
1765 upvotes
Thanks for this heads up.

I hope some better "sales" are coming with less pizza. Cheapest they come for is $3.99 usually. $5.99 is not worth it, can grab a fresh pepperoni from a pizza store for that.