Drafty Unused Wood Burning Fireplace

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2019 3:24 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
2188 posts
1682 upvotes

Drafty Unused Wood Burning Fireplace

Any DIY suggestions to block a drafty unused Wood burning fireplace?

@TomLafinsky your FLIR would go nuts if it was ever pointed at this drafty work of art.

I was thinking of cutting a piece of rigid foam to size, jamming it in the brick chimney and spray foaming the perimeter.

The plan is to use the fireplace again in about 4 years.

Open to ideas!
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12695 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
bizzyseller wrote: Any DIY suggestions to block a drafty unused Wood burning fireplace?

@TomLafinsky your FLIR would go nuts if it was ever pointed at this drafty work of art.

I was thinking of cutting a piece of rigid foam to size, jamming it in the brick chimney and spray foaming the perimeter.

Open to ideas!
A balloon would do it. I’m not joking.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2896 posts
2234 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
bizzyseller wrote: Any DIY suggestions to block a drafty unused Wood burning fireplace?

Open to ideas!
The part I bolded is what I will address. Don't do it. Rigid foam is good, however if you spray foam to seal any gaps it will be difficult to remove when you do wish to use the fireplace again. I look at burning foam as both a fire and health hazard. (I could be wrong). Instead seal the gaps with "backer road", here is a Home Depot link to their products:

https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=foam% ... cker%20rod
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
rcmpvet wrote: The part I bolded is what I will address. Don't do it. Rigid foam is good, however if you spray foam to seal any gaps it will be difficult to remove when you do wish to use the fireplace again. I look at burning foam as both a fire and health hazard. (I could be wrong). Instead seal the gaps with "backer road", here is a Home Depot link to their products:

https://www.homedepot.ca/search?q=foam% ... cker%20rod
+1. I also sealed up my used wood fireplace.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
Get a Roxul bat and shove up there
Let's hug it out
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
Just curious why are you going to use your Fireplace again in 4 years?
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
TomLafinsky wrote: As mentioned by RCGA, a large piece of (pink) batt insulation shoved in the opening would be easy to remove when needed and provide good insulation.

Though if it was me I would also go on the roof and cap the opening of the chimney to prevent birds/rodents from going in there.
this is what we did..for about 20 years, then did a gas insert..easy install and easy removal 20 years later
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
They sell balloons that can be quickly added and removed to provide an air seal.

The rigid foam would work well too but don’t add the spray foam.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley
TomLafinsky wrote:

Though if it was me I would also go on the roof and cap the opening of the chimney to prevent birds/rodents from going in there.
That is what I did. Put a large concrete block, on top of flue, after closing the damper.

I was going to put a note in fireplace, not to use because of block. Had a neighbor that had his chimney cleaned, and they close the damper. Neighbor went to use fireplace and the smoke just came in the house. He blamed the chimney cleaner for this, but I think he was out of line. If you use a fireplace without looking to see if the damper was open, I think it is on you.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)