• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2021 7:17 pm
[OP]
Apr 21, 2019
23 posts
2 upvotes

Dragnet pesticide

Anyone ever hired a pest control company to spray outside their house for spiders, wasps, etc?
The company our neighbors are using use a product called dragnet. We have kids and a dog so want to be cautious. Thanks
3 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1739 posts
1923 upvotes
West GTA
Dragnet is permethrin. Permethrin is safe for humans and dogs (not cats though). It will kill basically all insects. That means it'll kill ants, fleas, mosquitos and such but ALSO means it'll kill bees, moths, butterflies and other pollinators as well as harmless bugs. It can harm or kill fish and other aquatic creatures if applied to a pond.

You can reduce but not eliminate the beneficial insect damage by spraying in the evenings (bees mostly in the nest), though they will still be harmed by the spray (and there are plenty of beneficial non-bees that will get nuked by evening spraying). It doesn't have a ton of environmental persistence, but enough to deter ground-dwelling bugs for a little while.

Personally I'd only use that spray if there was a serious issue and nothing else was working since it's so destructive. I'd explore things like removing sources of water that mosquitos breed in, cleaning eaves, emptying rain barrels, adding drainage, using mosquito dunks in water, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3198 posts
902 upvotes
Toronto
You've peaked my interest. I hate bugs in and around the house.
Oct 19, 2020
808 posts
496 upvotes
GTA
Just keep in mind that your spiders control other pests, so its best not to try and eliminate them.
There are bad uses of pesticides more so than bad pesticides.