Expired Hot Deals

Apple

Dragon Dictation for Iphone - Free for limited time!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2010 1:00 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1708 posts
1702 upvotes

[Apple] Dragon Dictation for Iphone - Free for limited time!

Nuance Communications today announced the release of Dragon Dictation, a new voice transcription application for the iPhone. The application, which relies on the Dragon NaturallySpeaking speech recognition engine to transcribe voice input to text, allows users to easily send transcribed text to new e-mail or text messages or save it to the clipboard for pasting into other applications.

Link to APP in App store

I've been looking for something like this for a while. And best of all, it's free! Reviews have been good so far.

The Catch
You need an American iTunes account! :cry:

Luckily, I have found a guide here to do that without a credit card.
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/tips-trick ... edit-card/

The program works great so far. And creating a US account was a cinch.

For those concerned with their Contacts' Privacy
Nuance says they are only copying NAMES to their servers so that it is easier for the program to spell them.

From Nuance:
[QUOTE]As you may have experienced already, Dragon Dictation for the iPhone goes through your contact list on your iPhone and uploads the names to our server. We do this for a pretty simple reason: we found that people are often dictating names from their address book and expect the names to be recognized. We take this information and create an anonymous user profile for your device that understands what names are likely to dictate into a document. It's important to note that we only upload the names, not the e-mail addresses, phone numbers or any other personally identifying information from your contacts.[/QUOTE]
20 replies
Mar 26, 2008
232 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
According to the reviews, when you use this app, it copies all of your contacts and saves them to their servers. They therefore have all the information that you have inputted into your phone about all of your contacts (name, address, phone numbers, emails, pictures, etc.)

That's a big NO-NO for me. Thanks OP for the info, but will not be using.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
Thanks OP!
ipa/zip is already up, just grabbed it.
Note to others, it only seems to be working on 3.1 and...

[QUOTE]Several users have noted a potential privacy issue with Dragon Dictation, however, with a number of iTunes Store user reviews noting that the license agreement for the application reveals that data from users' lists of contacts will be sent to Nuance and stored on its servers.[/QUOTE]

...if you're comfortable with that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1708 posts
1702 upvotes
SpyKiIIer wrote: According to the reviews, when you use this app, it copies all of your contacts and saves them to their servers. They therefore have all the information that you have inputted into your phone about all of your contacts (name, address, phone numbers, emails, pictures, etc.)

That's a big NO-NO for me. Thanks OP for the info, but will not be using.
According to Nuance, they are only copying names so that it is easier for the program to spell them.

From Nuance:
As you may have experienced already, Dragon Dictation for the iPhone goes through your contact list on your iPhone and uploads the names to our server. We do this for a pretty simple reason: we found that people are often dictating names from their address book and expect the names to be recognized. We take this information and create an anonymous user profile for your device that understands what names are likely to dictate into a document. It's important to note that we only upload the names, not the e-mail addresses, phone numbers or any other personally identifying information from your contacts.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4098 posts
1879 upvotes
Thornhill
This does not belong to this forum though. Should be in Freebies forum.

And you must have data connection for this to work. The voice recognition is done in their server.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
220 upvotes
Ontario
nosnoop wrote: This does not belong to this forum though. Should be in Freebies forum.
Glad it started here, I don't frequent freebies.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1708 posts
1702 upvotes
I thought of that but it was a limited time thing. So it is kind of a deal :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4306 posts
424 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
interesting...gonna give this a try on my ipod touch. I don't have any contacts stored there, so it's not an issue for me.
Nov 1, 2005
988 posts
118 upvotes
Can you use a US itunes and canadian itunes account in tandem? If I create and sync with a US account will it delete my current apps or anything like that?

Thanks.
Sep 26, 2006
748 posts
255 upvotes
JuGGERNAUT wrote: Can you use a US itunes and canadian itunes account in tandem? If I create and sync with a US account will it delete my current apps or anything like that?

Thanks.
You can have both on the iTunes, you just need to sign in and out with each account. Also it does not screw up your apps.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16775 posts
2448 upvotes
SpyKiIIer wrote: According to the reviews, when you use this app, it copies all of your contacts and saves them to their servers. They therefore have all the information that you have inputted into your phone about all of your contacts (name, address, phone numbers, emails, pictures, etc.)
If you want decent ASR it will have to be server based. Smartphones do not have enough processing power to run good quality ASR. Even Dragon Naturally Speaking is "slow" on a Dual Core PC.

vLingo another similar product uses a similar mechanism to perform voice recognitiion.
Aug 29, 2006
992 posts
1010 upvotes
Bradford
Thanks OP!

Looks like there is now an option to disable the uploading of the contacts.

See "What's new in this version" under the privacy policy.
Mar 11, 2004
722 posts
61 upvotes
Thanks op.

I received the license key, but where is the download link for the free O&O Defrag 11 Professional Edition?

I searched the email with the license key and their website and cannot find a link for the download. It's probably staring me in the face but I don't see it.

I downloaded version 12 and the key did not work (obviously, it's for version 11, but tried anyway)
Mar 13, 2005
236 posts
67 upvotes
My Canadian account worked just fine. I went to the app store, searched on "Dragon" and it popped up as a free download. The software is not bad for accuracy and you can choose not to upload your address book names if you want. Worth every penny :cheesygri .

Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2005
1748 posts
1185 upvotes
+1
Canadian account worked fine. Thanks OP!!