Automotive

Dream Car Delivery: 2021 Porsche Cayman GT4!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2021 2:53 pm
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
323 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto

Dream Car Delivery: 2021 Porsche Cayman GT4!

So I was lucky enough to join my friend in picking up his dream car, a brand new 2021 Porsche Cayman GT4! It has been his dream to get behind the wheel of a true driver's car, and after more than a year of waiting, we picked up this 2021 Porsche Cayman GT4 painted in beautiful Chalk with the 6-speed manual transmission to make it the perfect dream drivers car.

We built the spec for the car last year, and there were some delays due to covid and a TSB for the engine but it all ended up working out. I have to say, this is the first time I was involved in a new car experience like this and it was very neat to see the "spec" you build online come alive in person in front of you. The Chalk colour just looks so beautiful in person, and somehow takes little hints of the colours of the environment into the paint in different lightning situations etc.

Being a part of this reminds me of how much I love cars.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9501 posts
7889 upvotes
Kitchener
Always tons of fun to take delivery of a brand new car, I usually get the chills.

My neighbour is waiting to take delivery of his 2022 911 Cabriolet (apparently it's more than a 6 month wait because of the chip shortage) to go with his Model S Performance and I'm very excited for him (strangely he says he's NOT a car guy). I want him to take me for rides in absolutely everything he owns :)
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
323 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Rob_EV wrote: Always tons of fun to take delivery of a brand new car, I usually get the chills.

My neighbour is waiting to take delivery of his 2022 911 Cabriolet (apparently it's more than a 6 month wait because of the chip shortage) to go with his Model S Performance and I'm very excited for him (strangely he says he's NOT a car guy). I want him to take me for rides in absolutely everything he owns :)
Very nice congrats for your neighbour! There have been delays across the board due to the chip shortage, beyond just Porsche. Well make sure he takes you for a rip and I will be sure to ask the same of my friend as well :) 911s are true classics.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8675 posts
5520 upvotes
Vancouver
Do they do this kind of reveal with every Porsche delivery? FYI, my deposit was placed in May, originally scheduled for delivery in December, now pushed back to Jan/Feb due to chip shortage. I may make one more change to my build spec, and that may push it back even further...
Dec 5, 2020
348 posts
234 upvotes
I think Oakville usually covers up cars to be delivered, although last time, I think my buddy took delivery in the service hangar.
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
323 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
notenoughsleep wrote: Do they do this kind of reveal with every Porsche delivery? FYI, my deposit was placed in May, originally scheduled for delivery in December, now pushed back to Jan/Feb due to chip shortage. I may make one more change to my build spec, and that may push it back even further...
Sad to hear about the delay, did you have an issue with your engine or no?
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8675 posts
5520 upvotes
Vancouver
Sonduren wrote: Sad to hear about the delay, did you have an issue with your engine or no?
No problems, just decided to change my spec sheet. First change, I added carrera classic wheels and sport plus seats. Currently have regular PASM on my 992S, but going for a test drive this weekend and may change to SPASM
Feb 10, 2008
621 posts
484 upvotes
Mando11 wrote: I think Oakville usually covers up cars to be delivered, although last time, I think my buddy took delivery in the service hangar.
Midtown Toronto dealership also does this. Pfaff Markham now has rooms for delivery but doesn't do this coverup lol
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2964 posts
1539 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Tokic_o wrote: Midtown Toronto dealership also does this. Pfaff Markham now has rooms for delivery but doesn't do this coverup lol
Is that so you can have a little bit of *ahem* private time before you go out in public with it..?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56393 posts
21416 upvotes
Since it's your not money, I hope you helped your friend tick of most off the really nice add-ons. :)
Last edited by alanbrenton on Aug 12th, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19136 posts
19009 upvotes
Richmond Hill
My buddy had downtown Porsche deliver his to the house with a giant red bow. Gift for his dad.

Anything is possible lol
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
323 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote: Since it's your not money, I hope you helped your friend tick off most off the really nice add-ons. :)
I was the bad influence for sure :)
Dec 5, 2020
348 posts
234 upvotes
[quote=Sonduren post_id=34843365 time=1628727641 user_id=240749]
I was the bad influence for sure :)
[/quote]

Not bad enough, where the ceramics??
[OP]
Jun 23, 2009
323 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Mando11 wrote: Not bad enough, where the ceramics??
Okay, you caught me here but, for 10K as an option was it really going to drastically improve performance for real-world use? This was a big talking point, we went against it and put that money into other upgrades as the base steel brakes are massive and sufficient enough.
If money was no object, ceramic all the way though ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19136 posts
19009 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Sonduren wrote: Okay, you caught me here but, for 10K as an option was it really going to drastically improve performance for real-world use? This was a big talking point, we went against it and put that money into other upgrades as the base steel brakes are massive and sufficient enough.
If money was no object, ceramic all the way though ;)
I can tell you that PCCB is for dick measuring contests. The steel brakes are perfectly fine. My GT3 is steel and I have never experienced any fade on the track. In fact those that track on a regular basis and have PCCB swap out the ceramics for steel.
Dec 5, 2020
348 posts
234 upvotes
Nah, there's a noticeable difference (and no brake dust!) with the PCCB versus steels, but for track I would stick with steels to avoid costly replacement

biggest problem I had with PCCB was after running the car through a car wash the brakes would lock for a bit until it was warmed up again, I don't remember having that problem with steels

and the PCCBs help with resale, especially if you want top dollar on any GT car...
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19136 posts
19009 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mando11 wrote: Nah, there's a noticeable difference (and no brake dust!) with the PCCB versus steels, but for track I would stick with steels to avoid costly replacement

biggest problem I had with PCCB was after running the car through a car wash the brakes would lock for a bit until it was warmed up again, I don't remember having that problem with steels

and the PCCBs help with resale, especially if you want top dollar on any GT car...
Don’t remind me about the dust lol. No doubt it helps with resale. Need all that braking power for those parking lot meets and “cruises”.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2571 posts
3475 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I remember taking delivery of a 7 year old used BMW and I gotta say Parkshore BMW in Vancouver made it feel like I was coming in to pick up a brand new car off the lot. Full detail, middle of the showroom, pulled the velvet blanket off it and everything. Definitely a great experience. Congrats OP!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)