• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2019 5:25 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton

Drill bits for concrete

Need to drill some 3-1/2" holes in concrete.
Bought a broken Bosch hammer drill and rebuilt it (those things cost over a grand on home Depot!)
Looking for sds-max bits or combination with adapter to do 3-1/2" but also looking for a good deal.
So far best deals I seen are (noname) diytoolsca.com
And for brand name is Amazon (sds plus adapter, and the sds plus 3-1/2"

Need to make 3 holes. At different times so don't want to rent 3 times
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
I guess no one drills into concrete,

I must have posted 4 or 5 times on this request a deal and never get anything, wonder why
Nov 1, 2015
625 posts
309 upvotes
BC
I drill into concrete quite often but i've never had to drill a hole larger than 5/8" in diameter. For a hole that is 3-1/2" you would need to use a rotary hammer core bit.

You won't find many people on RFD having experience using rotary hammer drills with coring bits unless they use it in their trade.
Aug 12, 2004
241 posts
45 upvotes
I've drilled more than my share but never over an inch or so.. How neat does the hole need to be? Depending on depth and how clean you need it, may be easiest to just draw your circle and then use smaller bits to trace it then chip out the excess.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7407 posts
2998 upvotes
Whitby
That drill can take a demo chisel OP? If so just use a 1/2 or whatever size concrete drill bit you have on hand in the center, then enlarge it with the chisel. The chisel you buy will come in handy often in the future.
Unless appearance really matters this works.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Nites07 wrote: I drill into concrete quite often but i've never had to drill a hole larger than 5/8" in diameter. For a hole that is 3-1/2" you would need to use a rotary hammer core bit.

You won't find many people on RFD having experience using rotary hammer drills with coring bits unless they use it in their trade.
Yes, need a core bit.
Reason why I bought a Bosch hammer drill and had to repair it, brand new it's over a grand. Cost me $70 in parts and a couple hours (new brushed, sleeves, piston and o-rings)

Has to be perfect 3-1/2" and it's not for appearance but for the anchor pots, they can't move when they will be pulling 4tons or more
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
4867 posts
2067 upvotes
Edmonton
Zamboni wrote: That drill can take a demo chisel OP? If so just use a 1/2 or whatever size concrete drill bit you have on hand in the center, then enlarge it with the chisel. The chisel you buy will come in handy often in the future.
Unless appearance really matters this works.
Yes, it takes SDS-max. Chisels would work but it needs to be perfect 3-1/2" which are core bits and damn things are definitely expensive

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)