• Jun 21st, 2021 11:20 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 3, 2020
40 posts
16 upvotes

Drill/Driver advise for home tasks

I hope you are doing well.

I am looking to buy a drill/driver set for regular household jobs. Nothing too fancy, something like building a garden bed, drilling holes for paintings/wall hangings, driver for putting together shelves, cabinets, just regular stuff around the house.

Appreciate your advise. Thanks.
17 replies
Sep 5, 2011
835 posts
1362 upvotes
Toronto
You can't go wrong with Ryobi for home use. Their battery system is pretty big so plenty of room to expand.

Just wait for a sale and snatch one up. Father's day is coming up...I am sure there will be some kind of deal soon.
Sep 5, 2011
835 posts
1362 upvotes
Toronto
periyava1894 wrote: Thanks, Are you referring to this one?
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryobi- ... 1001570503
Yes. That is a good example. Brushless. I have seen it cheaper tho. If you are not in a rush. Wait until it get down to $150-$160 range.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14305 posts
9071 upvotes
Markham
I have three drills at home which all need new batteries - 7.2V Mastercraft, 14V Black and Decker Firestorm, 19.2V Craftsman. The batteries are more expensive to replace than the tool....I still haven't thrown em out because I find it so wasteful but I know that they have no use.

Because of this, I've always recommended Rigid for the LSA Lifetime Service Agreement....when the batteries die, I can get them replaced.

https://register.ridgidpower.com/about_lsa

You MUST register the product when you buy it and standalone battery purchases are not subject to the LSA...only the batteries bought with the tool are covered.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1401 posts
622 upvotes
A Milwaukee M12 drill and impact kit would be perfect (https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwau ... 1000672700). Milwaukee has a decent eco system of tools if you ever want to expand. The M12 impact should be good for 95% of work around the house. A 18v system does have more power/capacity but the tools are also heavier to carry/use. The only thing where a 12v system falls flat is changing the tires on your car, or heavy hammer drilling. This is where a 18v tools are much better.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
3703 posts
1235 upvotes
Edmonton
Milwaukee 18v.

The ever so slight weight difference between the 12v and 18v isn't worth going to the 12. Remember using them all day 12+ hours a day and no problem. Way lighter than the 1-1/2" drive impact had to use this week
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
4691 posts
1200 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'll start the dewalt camp here. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3837 posts
2866 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
gr8dlr wrote: I have three drills at home which all need new batteries - 7.2V Mastercraft, 14V Black and Decker Firestorm, 19.2V Craftsman. The batteries are more expensive to replace than the tool....I still haven't thrown em out because I find it so wasteful but I know that they have no use.

Because of this, I've always recommended Rigid for the LSA Lifetime Service Agreement....when the batteries die, I can get them replaced.

https://register.ridgidpower.com/about_lsa

You MUST register the product when you buy it and standalone battery purchases are not subject to the LSA...only the batteries bought with the tool are covered.
Listen to this advice. I'm still running a 14.4V Ridgid impact driver from 2003 because I've have lifetime battery replacements.
Nothing wrong with green, yellow, blue or red brands, except for the battery replacement costs.

Oh, and apparently batteries purchased outside of kits are now covered by the LSA.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1670 posts
322 upvotes
I had a ryobi but when it falls on the ground the batteries were done.
I now ended up with ridgid, life time warranty even on battery’s, can’t go wrong there.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1842 posts
675 upvotes
Elgin, ON
tmkf_patryk wrote:
The ever so slight weight difference between the 12v and 18v isn't worth going to the 12. Remember using them all day 12+ hours a day and no problem. Way lighter than the 1-1/2" drive impact had to use this week
This is the conclusion I came to as well. I was interested in 12V stuff, but though it was a little more compact, I did not find there to be enough weight savings to sway me away from the compact 18/20V stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1418 posts
1144 upvotes
GTA
enwhyRFD wrote: I'll start the dewalt camp here. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
My primary battery platform is dewalt, but.....

I would offer the following recommendations:

If you don't need the torque, I would 100% recommend getting a Bosch Flexiclick or a M12 Installation Driver. For all the jobs around the house in tight spaces or zero clearances, these are great. I even once used the M12 installation driver with a 5/8th spade on it to drill through a double top plate to fish some wire when it was a tight space that my 18v with a right angle couldnt fit into. So it does have a bit of power.

Other than those, if you want a more standard drill and driver combo, thats smaller/more budget friendly, I would +1 either Ryobi or M12. IIRC M12 has 1300 torque vs an 18v which usually has around 1800. So you'll be able to drive most things except bigger structural screws.
Aug 20, 2007
114 posts
93 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Truthfully, don't overthink it. If you're not in a hurry - just wait for a good sale where you get the tools and batteries in a packaged deal!
You can't go wrong with either, or Bosch, or Milwaukee or really any name brand. I have Ryobi and Dewalt drills & drivers and both are great and do the job perfectly. I'm just an "average DIYer", but I put my tools through lots of abuse -and all are great.
Most known brands have a pretty good eco system (selection of tools) --> But it does seem like Ryobi's ecosystem just keeps growing every year.
BTW- I started off thinking I just need a drill and maybe a saw...about 8 years later, I now I have about 25 different tools! It's like a tattoo, most people I know just wanted one...and now they're covered!
:)
[OP]
Mar 3, 2020
40 posts
16 upvotes
I believe the general opinion is wait for the sale -> ridgid.
Thanks for so much for all the advise. Appreciate it.
May 12, 2021
85 posts
46 upvotes
I came to a different conclusion, sold off most of my M18 stuff and transitioned to the M12, M12 Fuel drill, 1/4 impact, oscillating, stubby impact. Still have the M18 sawzall and circular saw.
rkjredflag wrote: This is the conclusion I came to as well. I was interested in 12V stuff, but though it was a little more compact, I did not find there to be enough weight savings to sway me away from the compact 18/20V stuff.
Jan 7, 2006
613 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
I have a Ryobi impact driver (brushless from 2017, I believe they have a newer model now). I've built many things with it at a diy level. Its when I was working on my deck I realized how crappy Ryobi pressure trigger is. Sometimes it has a mind of its own.... I'm driving in a 3" deck screw and want to ease it in, give it a little more juice and it goes spinning. Same with putting together a gazebo, driving in 2" screws in pre drilled holes, trying to go slow and then brrrrrrrrrr spin. I gave up and just used a regular screwdriver, but doing 100+ screws by hand is time consuming.

I got a the M12 hex impact and wow, what a difference in the trigger, also much more compact. I already had other M12 tools so I wasn't buying a new system.

Don't get me wrong, the Ryobi tool universe is great and the tools themselves are much better than say Mastercraft.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1261 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto
A m12 fuel hammer drill has everything you need.
(hammer, drill, drive)