Food & Drink

Drinking in public... all classy.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2018 9:23 am
Tags:

Poll: Is it ok?

• Total votes: 56. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

80%
No

14%
Other, explain

5%
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40964 posts
4742 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Drinking in public... all classy.

Would you find it acceptable to drink alcohol in a public park in a quiet, respectable manner?

For example having a fine picnic with your lady. Enjoying an assortment of artisan cheese and cured meat. Then you bust out a bottle of some fancy italian red wine!

Yah its illegal... but many people do this freely in trinity belwoods, christie pits, and this park in montreal i went to a few times, i forgot the name...

But even though its illegal are you ok with drinking respectably at the park?
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5444 posts
1641 upvotes
Aurora
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 8:33 pm
Would you find it acceptable to drink alcohol in a public park in a quiet, respectable manner?

For example having a fine picnic with your lady. Enjoying an assortment of artisan cheese and cured meat. Then you bust out a bottle of some fancy italian red wine!

Yah its illegal... but many people do this freely in trinity belwoods, christie pits, and this park in montreal i went to a few times, i forgot the name...

Sure, I don't have a problem with people respectfully drinking in public places. But how do you police that? How do you control the people who respectfully drink one or two and then turn a bit disrespectful drinking 3,4,5, or 6? I don't have the answers other than a comment that I'd love to be able to drink a beer walking down the street (last time I was in Macau, I could do that) but I can see in the right (wrong) situation, I can drink more than I should and become an ass to the public.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3497 posts
250 upvotes
Adelaide
DiceMan wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 9:03 pm
Sure, I don't have a problem with people respectfully drinking in public places. But how do you police that? How do you control the people who respectfully drink one or two and then turn a bit disrespectful drinking 3,4,5, or 6? I don't have the answers other than a comment that I'd love to be able to drink a beer walking down the street (last time I was in Macau, I could do that) but I can see in the right (wrong) situation, I can drink more than I should and become an ass to the public.
I am not sure that having legal drinking in public actually would cause any more public drunkenness. Anecdotally, when I would go out to bars I would either a) quickly knock back a few drinks before going out or b) still bring a "roadie" with me. I would be a bit surprised if there was any really major increase in overt public drunkenness if you legalized drinking in public.

You can drink in Montreal parks, I believe only if you have food as well, and don't think there is any issues there. Been lots of other countries as well where you can drink in public and never thought it was any worse.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11522 posts
2621 upvotes
Montréal
It's a cultural thing. Somehow, ppl can't control their alcohol habits here. I never even knew it was illegal for the longest time since you can do exactly that in HK and no one bats an eye.

To answer your question, it really depends on the person, but sadly if you let everyone do that, inevitably the animals come out.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Aug 12, 2012
782 posts
309 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It's legal in plenty of countries, it's just another 'freedom' we don't get to enjoy here. I visited Iceland and Germany last year, and it felt so civilized to have a beer while walking down the street or a glass of wine at a park.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5475 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
Another outdated drinking law that came about after prohibition that should have been abolished.

I'm ok as long as the vessel isn't glass.

It seems like it maybe a law that may lift in the next 10 years.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
18399 posts
17173 upvotes
Toronto
Toronto Police has 'FIDO' policy regarding drinking in public. They don't care if you're not causing a problem. Just brown bag and you'll be fine.
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2896 posts
716 upvotes
Mississauga
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 16th, 2018 8:33 pm

Yes. It should be allowed for sure. Public drunkenness however not at all.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
40964 posts
4742 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
No Frills wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 11:24 am
Another outdated drinking law that came about after prohibition that should have been abolished.

I'm ok as long as the vessel isn't glass.

It seems like it maybe a law that may lift in the next 10 years.
Ohh... i don’t know which boxed wines that are good.
I only ever buy bottles wine products. I tried one box wine before and it was very so-so... stuff wasnt horrid. But it was just a very average wine.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1602 posts
856 upvotes
It’s a slippery slope is the problem. There are normal people who became after too many drinks, and there are just stupid people. Part of me says why does someone need to drink alcohol so badly?thent he other part of me says, who cares, My general thought is if someone is discrete enough and it doesn’t bother anyone, then who cares. If you are discreet enough then no one should know,

For a special occasion, I did a anniversary dinner/picnic, and had a liquor license for the date. We ate dinner in meridian in busy street by the river for our anniversary. I checked with the city and police, and got a liquor license for the wine. No problems, we had many cops drive by, and not a single one questioned us even though abottle wine was on the table.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
10606 posts
1668 upvotes
Toronto
It just doesn't look good generally. Now if you're at a real picnic park, it's okay, but it's often associated with 'bums' or homeless people.
Aug 20, 2009
7099 posts
1793 upvotes
Grimsby
Unfortunately some people can't handle their liquor so it's not a good idea IMO. 90% of the people would exercise good judgment but the other 10% would make it a nightmare and that's why its a zero tolerance thing in most places.

Last weekend we were visiting friends at a cottage and some of their neighbors were going absolutely crazy after getting drunk. I don't mean a little nuts, I mean like people screaming and pissing off the rest of the lake kind of crazy. That's why we don't let people do it in parks.

In an ideal world people would just have a romantic glass of wine and a charcuterie board but in practice you're probably going to get some trashy couple fighting after they get a few drinks in them :)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12551 posts
1933 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Drinking in public is trashy-looking, much like smoking or vaping in public.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6949 posts
3197 upvotes
Toronto
Becks wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 4:38 pm
Drinking in public is trashy-looking, much like smoking or vaping in public.
judging people for doing what they want without bothering anyone else is trashy imo
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5475 posts
853 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 17th, 2018 12:46 pm
Ohh... i don’t know which boxed wines that are good.
I only ever buy bottles wine products. I tried one box wine before and it was very so-so... stuff wasnt horrid. But it was just a very average wine.
When I go to sit at the beach with the lady, I bring some snacks (fruits, cheese, cured meats, fresh bread) and bring chilled white wine in a stainless steel insulated bottle to keep it cold and pour little by little in plastic cocktail glasses.

When I used to play volleyball at ashbridges bay, there were beers galore! An cute old couple we're there until sunset collecting bundle buggies full of beer empties by all the nets. The organisers do warn the team captains about open beers tho.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.