• Dec 7th, 2020 2:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
1785 posts
469 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA

Driver app for insurance

I got a quote from all state Insurance company, the rate is lower than my current rate, but has to be on their drive wise app otherwise it is higher than the current insurer, Johnson Johnson

Here is something I don't understand, the app or my phone can never tell if my driving is good or no. the devise and app can only track acceleration and speed ( by extrapolation two GPS points) quite loosely.
But absolutely nothing in road traffic condition can be tracked, I can do certain thing absolutely safe in certain car and situation, while is quite abruptly in another situation. They don't even know I am driving with the phone or power off the phone.

I think it is the sales tactic that they will always later raise my insurance all the way to a higher level, and claiming it is my fault.

Can someone share your experience?

And technically if an APP is actively tracking position and acceleration etc all time, the phone should use more battery and data flow much faster.
after the insurance app installed, do you feel your phone is actually tracking your driving?
<No political content in signatures>
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7790 posts
5772 upvotes
Kitchener
I ran the tracking app for 6 months and ended up with a permanent 24% discount based on gentle acceleration and braking. I was able to select whether I was a driver or passenger (being a passenger doesn't count towards your score). Not sure how your particular app works?
Banned
Nov 9, 2020
19 posts
10 upvotes
Rob_EV wrote: I ran the tracking app for 6 months and ended up with a permanent 24% discount based on gentle acceleration and braking. I was able to select whether I was a driver or passenger (being a passenger doesn't count towards your score). Not sure how your particular app works?
How they verify it and give you discount, you could claim you car pool with coworker and dang you get 50% discount or you could claim you are driver while on a bus, most gentle driving ever.

Is your said 24% discount from what the insurer claimed premium or from other insurer's lowest price.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
7790 posts
5772 upvotes
Kitchener
dasvedania wrote: How they verify it and give you discount, you could claim you car pool with coworker and dang you get 50% discount or you could claim you are driver while on a bus, most gentle driving ever.

Is your said 24% discount from what the insurer claimed premium or from other insurer's lowest price.
Theoretically you could claim you're a driver while on a bus, but buses accelerate and brake too quickly and the app would ding you. I drove a Nissan LEAF on Eco mode (very gentle on the throttle combined with Eco mode is a MUST) and ran a lot of yellow lights in order to be as gentle as possible on the brakes. Got honked at a bunch of times (mostly from accelerating slowly) ;)
My wife ALSO ended up with a 24% discount driving a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid in Eco mode and coasting through a lot of yellow lights. If you are a passenger in someone's car who's driving very gently, you COULD claim you were driving for the ride to be counted (I could claim I was a driver when I was actually a passenger in her car).

I would get the minimum discount now that I'm driving a Model 3...the acceleration is ALWAYS off the scale and even in "chill mode", it's WAY too quick even when you're trying to be gentle.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16048 posts
4554 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Nov 13, 2016
518 posts
302 upvotes
napoleonbot wrote: I got a quote from all state Insurance company, the rate is lower than my current rate, but has to be on their drive wise app otherwise it is higher than the current insurer, Johnson Johnson

Here is something I don't understand, the app or my phone can never tell if my driving is good or no. the devise and app can only track acceleration and speed ( by extrapolation two GPS points) quite loosely.
But absolutely nothing in road traffic condition can be tracked, I can do certain thing absolutely safe in certain car and situation, while is quite abruptly in another situation. They don't even know I am driving with the phone or power off the phone.

I think it is the sales tactic that they will always later raise my insurance all the way to a higher level, and claiming it is my fault.

Can someone share your experience?

And technically if an APP is actively tracking position and acceleration etc all time, the phone should use more battery and data flow much faster.
after the insurance app installed, do you feel your phone is actually tracking your driving?
I used the drivewise app for 6 months and ended up with 12% discount. I don't agree with the apps functioning but it is what it is. The speeding alert triggers only when driving 125+, so you can drive 60 in 40 zone and there is no alert. I keep getting false braking alerts randomly even on drives where I didn't even need to slow down. Could be drop in signal or communication... 1 consistent braking alert I get is literally 20 mtrs from my driveway - every morning. I don't even go over 20 before coming to stop.

CD.
Banned
Nov 9, 2020
19 posts
10 upvotes
May I ask you your premium and city?
Both CD and robev are real appreciated.
Nov 13, 2016
518 posts
302 upvotes
dasvedania wrote: May I ask you your premium and city?
Both CD and robev are real appreciated.
GTA, $390, 2 cars,, 3 drivers, 1 under 25.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4099 posts
1016 upvotes
One of my coworkers using a drive app from his own insurance company. He said he can choose which drive/trip is OK to send. And he said his insurance is coming down this year. I guess if that's what the insurance company wants to play then just follow their rules.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
3755 posts
343 upvotes
Toronto
I tried it out before, they basically track whether you speed, whether you accelerate/decelerate hard, and sometimes time of driving depending on company. Insurance companies legally cannot penalize you for poor driving behaviours. These apps/device will be here to stay. For those who are afraid to use this, you will just be paying for the discounts others who uses the device. (i.e. A 20% discount is likely offset by an increase in the base premium.)