Home & Garden

Drivers Licence number in rental application?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2019 4:45 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo

Drivers Licence number in rental application?

Is it normal that a landlord would require a driver's license number when applying to rent a property? Thought only the govt and bank can ask for that? Seems like an identity theft risk.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
16 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
To validate your ID. They cannot ask for you SIN but DL is OK.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
They can do a credit check using the DL.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6328 posts
2515 upvotes
does it matter?
hagbard wrote: Is it normal that a landlord would require a driver's license number when applying to rent a property? Thought only the govt and bank can ask for that? Seems like an identity theft risk.
https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topic ... ationship/

What personal information do I have to provide to a prospective landlord?

In order to make a decision on whether or not to rent a property to you, a prospective landlord may ask for some personal information to allow them to complete a credit check. A credit check will give the prospective landlord information about your ability to pay the rent.

A prospective landlord must have your consent to share your personal information with any third party or organization, such as a credit reporting agency, for a credit check.

To run a credit check, the landlord would need, at a minimum:

your name,
address, and
date of birth.

Some landlords may also ask for your driver’s license, passport, employer, income and expenses on a rental application. This information is not needed for a credit check but may allow the landlord to obtain a more detailed report from organizations that offer credit checks, or to ensure that you are not confused with someone with a similar name and date of birth.
Does a landlord require my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

No. Your Social Insurance Number is a confidential number used for income reporting purposes. Under the law, organizations cannot require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information unless it is required for a specific and legitimate purpose.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7626 upvotes
ON
hagbard wrote: Is it normal that a landlord would require a driver's license number when applying to rent a property? Thought only the govt and bank can ask for that? Seems like an identity theft risk.
If you're worried then don't give it, but be prepared to miss out on a lot of rentals. Most cases it is to show that you're serious and not just wasting their time.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Okay guys, thanks for the info. I'll give him my DL.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Now I'm supposed to give a "deposit" on first and last months rent, but we're not getting it till November. Should I be doing post dated or do you think he expects full payment now?
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
hagbard wrote: Now I'm supposed to give a "deposit" on first and last months rent, but we're not getting it till November. Should I be doing post dated or do you think he expects full payment now?
This is standard first month rental is always first month rent and last month, so when you eventually leave you don't pay rent for your last month and then you save up and repeat.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Zombly wrote: This is standard first month rental is always first month rent and last month, so when you eventually leave you don't pay rent for your last month and then you save up and repeat.
That's not the issue, the issue is he wants the money two months before we get into the place we're renting.
Feb 20, 2017
337 posts
106 upvotes
Barrie, ON
hagbard wrote: That's not the issue, the issue is he wants the money two months before we get into the place we're renting.
That part is a little out of the ordinary but if it has high demand it might be to secure it over others, I've only ever paid that upon taking possession of the place. Though I haven't rented now in 4 years.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Kiraly wrote: I don't know what province you're in but that's definitely illegal here in BC.
Ontario. Yeah, used to live in BC, rented many places there never been asked to come up with first and last way in advance.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2006
1204 posts
466 upvotes
Mississauga
hagbard wrote: That's not the issue, the issue is he wants the money two months before we get into the place we're renting.
he probably has multiple offers that would be my guess, if you really like the place then negotiate and offer to pay for the first month to reserve the spot and last will be provided when you receive a key. make sure you get it n writing that you paid.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
hagbard wrote:
That's not the issue, the issue is he wants the money two months before we get into the place we're renting.
Zombly wrote: That part is a little out of the ordinary but if it has high demand it might be to secure it over others, I've only ever paid that upon taking possession of the place. Though I haven't rented now in 4 years.
From the old days, one month was due right away by certified cheque or bank draft on signing lease/ rental agreement and the other month could be post dated to the 1st of the month

There’s nothing more maddening for a landlord that a new tenant who signs a lease, then backs out at the last minute before moving in, cancelling the cheques because they found a better deal. Especially if you turned down other potential renters. There’s also the potential of 1 month rent lost if a tenant suddenly backs out

One caution for the renter of doing both months in advance is to make sure you are dealing with the actual owner or his official representative.

In the GTA, there have been cases where scammer rents via AirBnB for a week. The scammer then advertises the home for rent as if he was the owner. The scammer signs multiple fake rental agreements and gets first and last months rent in cash every time.

At the end of the week, scammer disappears with everyone’s cash and the real owner is left holding the bag with a bunch of very angry renters

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lowest ... ey-renters
Last edited by l69norm on Sep 20th, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Hey, how do you know if the guy renting the house is the owner? Who do you verify this with?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20807 posts
6623 upvotes
London
hagbard wrote: Hey, how do you know if the guy renting the house is the owner? Who do you verify this with?
If you are going through MLS, the realtor will have access to the land registry record to verify ownership. You can also make an online enquiry to the land registry but it costs something like $10
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11548 posts
5376 upvotes
Moving target
hagbard wrote: Hey, how do you know if the guy renting the house is the owner? Who do you verify this with?
I asked for a copy or photo of landlords tax bill plus a copy of their drivers license.

That should scare them off or launch a series of excuses
Autocorrect sucks