Automotive

Driver's license address change after 14 days fine

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 1:11 pm
Dec 11, 2017
39 posts
10 upvotes

Driver's license address change after 14 days fine

I moved into a new home two years ago, and didn't bother to change the address on my driver's license because I didn't think it would be a big deal. I just read that I'm required by law to update my driver's license with my new address within 14 days to avoid a fine. I'm way past due so I'm curious how much this fine would be, and if registries are strict on this?
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
The fine would be from a police, if you were pulled over; not Service Canada.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: The fine would be from a police, if you were pulled over; not Service Canada.
+1
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2031 posts
575 upvotes
m4r 1k8
vkizzle wrote: The fine would be from a police, if you were pulled over; not Service Canada.
thats assuming they could tell you changed addresses lol
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
If you didn't change your driver's licence address then it's likely you also didn't update your OHIP card as well. You usually do both at the same time. How hard is it to update your info? You can do that online but you have to change your ownership docs in person.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8307 upvotes
Brampton
Just go ASAP to service Ontario to change it. The peeps behind the counters don't care.

I ran in to a similar situation and did it after about a month because getting settled after moving just took a while.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1114 posts
521 upvotes
Richmond Hill
lordnikon wrote: If you didn't change your driver's licence address then it's likely you also didn't update your OHIP card as well. You usually do both at the same time. How hard is it to update your info? You can do that online but you have to change your ownership docs in person.
Because OP thinks it is not a big deal.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6959 posts
6077 upvotes
Oakville, ON
ed116 wrote: thats assuming they could tell you changed addresses lol
Easy to catch - they invariably ask for your license & insurance when pulled over and it’ll be obvious that the address on the license is not the same as the address on the insurance pink slip.

The only loophole would be if OP didn’t change insurance address either and returns to the old address to pick up the pink slip the last few years, and into the future.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
Dethrone1 wrote: I moved into a new home two years ago, and didn't bother to change the address on my driver's license because I didn't think it would be a big deal. I just read that I'm required by law to update my driver's license with my new address within 14 days to avoid a fine. I'm way past due so I'm curious how much this fine would be, and if registries are strict on this?
It used to be a $65, so I would assume it's more. I was pulled over in Kitchener on a routine stop back in 2003. I was living there only on weekdays. This is how the conversation when down.

C: License and registration
C: Know why you were pulled over?
M: No.
C: Routine check.
C: You're pretty far from home for this hour in the evening.
M: I'm staying at a friends house.
C: Where?
M: <gave address, etc>
C: Ok, drive safe.

Few nights later, same route home, same cop.

C: License and registration
C: Know why you were pulled over?
M: No.
C: Routine check.
C: So, you staying at your friends again?
M: Yes.
C: I've seen you driving by here a lot.
M: I work in the area.
C: So you work here and live here.
M: Only during the week.
C: Thank you.

So the cop goes back to his car, and he handed me a ticket. He said that if you rent a room, which I was doing, and spent more time in another location than indicated on your license, etc... Get it changed. Told me that I could bring it to count house and show my updated documents but I paid the fine cause I didn't know and was worthy.

TL:DR - Cops normally have routes they scope out traffic for violations and stuff, yes, you will get a fine and yes, if you don't pay it, you will not be able to get your stickers. Accident would be more problematic as you would need to explain this to your insurance provider and that is a high risk.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Just go change it. And you need to keep it updated so you can get your photo radar and red-light tickets. Yay! But if you don't get them, you have no option to fight them, even if you wanted to. So that just means getting a surprise when you go to register your vehicle.

And when you go to update it, consider renewing at the same time. Two transactions for the price of one is a good RFD deal.

And you do have your insurance updated, right? If not, they may have grounds to refuse coverage if your vehicle was stolen from your property or something stupid like that.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)