Home & Garden

Driveway asphalt sealer, best way to apply?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2021 9:48 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7205 posts
3546 upvotes
Montreal

Driveway asphalt sealer, best way to apply?

Gonna try to do it myself for the first time. Pros do it with a spray, DIY Ive seen people do it with a brush or a squeegee. Are there scenarios in which one way is better than the other?

Any tips on applying the sealer from the more experienced folks? :)
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3440 posts
2217 upvotes
Mississauga
Madevilz wrote: Gonna try to do it myself for the first time. Pros do it with a spray, DIY Ive seen people do it with a brush or a squeegee. Are there scenarios in which one way is better than the other?

Any tips on applying the sealer from the more experienced folks? :)
how old is your driveway. it really looks bad if done on a older driveway. on my street, all homes are around 17-18yr old, and bunch of homeowners have sealed their asphalt driveways. One did just this weekend with a pro. Honestly, they all look bad. It is okay if done on newer asphalt I guess.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7205 posts
3546 upvotes
Montreal
IndyBeak wrote: how old is your driveway. it really looks bad if done on a older driveway. on my street, all homes are around 17-18yr old, and bunch of homeowners have sealed their asphalt driveways. One did just this weekend with a pro. Honestly, they all look bad. It is okay if done on newer asphalt I guess.
It's about 2 yo.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
3581 posts
942 upvotes
I did mine with a squeegee last year with the rustoleum branded stuff. I like the look better as it is a matte finish.

In terms of tips:

-make sure you clean the driveway well (prep is key, blow the driveway with a blower and then wash, seal up any oil spills if needed)

-not required but I do recommend rubber boots for application or a pair of old shoes you will chuck

-tape off anywhere you don’t want the sealer to go (if you have interlock for example)

-make sure the sealer is well mixed (I placed my container upside down a few days prior and day of, I used a hole saw for the lid to attach a mixing attachment on a drill)

After that you just pour it out and squeegee away. If you have an ergonomic handle, it will save your hands versus a wooden one.

Good luck!
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 19, 2002
12174 posts
648 upvotes
Make sure you get the most matte finish you can - shiny sealer looks terrible on any driveway, and gets worse and worse the older the driveway is.

Sealer always settles - it will look like blackish water on top, straight tar on the bottom. Mix it well, I use a corded drill with paint mixing screw and it still takes minutes - trying it manually will result in a great workout ;)

Edge your driveway really carefully, pull up any grass/weeds, then blow or pressure wash everything away (obv. let it dry if you go the pressure washer route)

I actually prefer to use a cheap dollar store roller on a long handle - I find I can work the sealer in a little better than with a squeegee. It also gives good control - as long as I'm careful I don't need any tape.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1388 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
azn_dan wrote: I did mine with a squeegee last year with the rustoleum branded stuff. I like the look better as it is a matte finish.

In terms of tips:

-make sure you clean the driveway well (prep is key, blow the driveway with a blower and then wash, seal up any oil spills if needed)

-not required but I do recommend rubber boots for application or a pair of old shoes you will chuck

-tape off anywhere you don’t want the sealer to go (if you have interlock for example)

-make sure the sealer is well mixed (I placed my container upside down a few days prior and day of, I used a hole saw for the lid to attach a mixing attachment on a drill)

After that you just pour it out and squeegee away. If you have an ergonomic handle, it will save your hands versus a wooden one.

Good luck!
Any pics?
JS
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 13, 2008
6261 posts
2900 upvotes
Durham
Madevilz wrote: Pros do it with a spray,
That is a joke. They are not pros.

Spray on stuff is not as effective.

They look like a pro ... but the stuff they use is inferior.

They are professionals in holding the spray to spray evenly. That is it.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 10, 2006
3581 posts
942 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: Any pics?
Sadly I just moved out of the place a few weeks ago. For the most part it held up pretty well. Only thing that really didn’t go away was one oil spot but you couldn’t see it unless the driveway was empty.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5034 posts
1585 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Squeegee all the way.
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1388 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
azn_dan wrote: Sadly I just moved out of the place a few weeks ago. For the most part it held up pretty well. Only thing that really didn’t go away was one oil spot but you couldn’t see it unless the driveway was empty.
Np. What did you do to treat the oil spots prior to sealing?
JS
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 7, 2004
7847 posts
4644 upvotes
West GTEH!
Madevilz wrote: Gonna try to do it myself for the first time. Pros do it with a spray, DIY Ive seen people do it with a brush or a squeegee. Are there scenarios in which one way is better than the other?

Any tips on applying the sealer from the more experienced folks? :)
I know this is not DIY info. I was thinking of DIY Sealing my Driveway also. But figured it was easier for someone else to do it and pay them.

If you were in the GTA, I used this Company:
https://www.acornpro.net/

His website has a lot of good info.
😎

Top