Home & Garden

Is this driveway edge pothole DIY? Critique my approach.

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2019 11:32 am
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
748 posts
328 upvotes

Is this driveway edge pothole DIY? Critique my approach.

Hi friends,

Trying to repair a single car driveway that hasn't been maintained. I have no experience with this so I'd like to share my research and get your opinions. Pictures in the end.

Problems:
1) The bottom left entrance of the driveway has entirely chipped away so the crater need to be filled in.

2) The grass between two drive ways - that crater isn't as big as it seems because some of the bottom left needs to be filled with grass.

3) All of the cracks in the entrance of the driveway. The driveway seems to sink in at this point.

Potential solutions:
1) Use this product from home depot and use a piece of laminate hardwood to force a straight line while compressing the new material into the hole.

2) We keep driving over the property line that divides our driveway from the neighbours. I'm thinking of removing the grass altogether and adding river rock once the crater is fixed.

3) For all of those cracks in the sunken area, thinking of filling some of the cracks with this and also using the Aquaphalt from #1 to "unsink" and smooth it out.

I know this isn't a permanent fix but I'm just looking to get by for a year or two. Maybe apply a sealer later this summer if the other repairs go well.

Thanks in advance.
Images
  • IMG_20190519_142319.jpg
  • IMG_20190519_142250.jpg
  • IMG_20190519_142241~2.jpg
  • IMG_20190519_142058.jpg
4 replies
May 28, 2012
11137 posts
3275 upvotes
Saskatoon
The cracking is indicative of a poor base underneath. For a repair that works, you need to saw-cut the crater to make a straight edge, remove the soft material, fill with a compacted base and then add your asphalt patch. The other cracked areas, same procedure applies.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
748 posts
328 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: The cracking is indicative of a poor base underneath. For a repair that works, you need to saw-cut the crater to make a straight edge, remove the soft material, fill with a compacted base and then add your asphalt patch. The other cracked areas, same procedure applies.
Thanks for your response. Can you recommend any saws that are inexpensive and would take care of the crater and cracks?

Any recommendations for the compacted base?
May 28, 2012
11137 posts
3275 upvotes
Saskatoon
They have saws for this purpose that can be rented but it can be expensive. Alternatively, you can get blades meant for cutting concrete and asphalt for a circular saw.

You use base gravel (a mixture of gravel, sand and clay) which you need to compact down really well. That's the reason you have a failure at the edge by the concrete, they obviously didn't do as good a job compacting the base there as with the rest of the driveway.
[OP]
Aug 7, 2011
748 posts
328 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: They have saws for this purpose that can be rented but it can be expensive. Alternatively, you can get blades meant for cutting concrete and asphalt for a circular saw.

You use base gravel (a mixture of gravel, sand and clay) which you need to compact down really well. That's the reason you have a failure at the edge by the concrete, they obviously didn't do as good a job compacting the base there as with the rest of the driveway.
Thank you Mars. Sounds like I should consider a professional.

In the meantime, since it doesn't cost much, I wonder how terrible it would be to simply pour and compress the cold patch over those cracks so water and debris can at least get over the concrete gutter in the interim.