[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1320 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto

Driveway sealing

Hey Everyone,

Trying to figure out the best option for getting a driveway sealed.

I know there are the dudes that have a truck or cart that they use to spray on a blacktop. Then there are the large cans of (paint?) coating that you can buy from Canadian tire that you can do your self.

Is either one better - will one cause more damage/cracking than good?

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks so much....
Everyone has cool signatures with the stuffs they own listed... I'm in!!!
Walmart U.S. AT&T Group deal (kinda yay) + Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
16 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
A guy that sprays coal tar will be the best looking and protective/longest lasting. Neither will cause cracking.
It's mostly for looks, but will protect from oil and water incursion/breakup.
$200 for my 3 car driveway.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1320 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
rohruaj wrote: I was also looking to do the same as DIYin the next few days.
Does anyone have any experience using this product.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/airp ... c=true#spc
I was told to go buy this stuff....

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/latex- ... 1000712431
Walmart U.S. AT&T Group deal (kinda yay) + Public Mobile $15 for 100 mins and 250MB Data X2 for the parents
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1500 posts
913 upvotes
ottawa
engineered wrote: A guy that sprays coal tar will be the best looking and protective/longest lasting. Neither will cause cracking.
Is that true? So in terms of lifespan of a driveway this does little to prolong it, rather it just keeps it looking 'fresh' for longer?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
barqers wrote: Is that true? So in terms of lifespan of a driveway this does little to prolong it, rather it just keeps it looking 'fresh' for longer?
That's what they say and it seems to be true. But feel like it can help prevent oils and water/ice from breaking it up, but it probably isn't much.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3513 posts
1704 upvotes
Mississauga
Idk.. they don't seal the roads.. and they get a lot more abuse from cars and weather.. looks aside never understood why we need to seal our asphalt driveways. However we don't get to use free tax $$ to constantly repave.

I'm of the not doing anything aside from washing it whenever I wash the cars.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2003
1320 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
I got a quote for $80 to get it done with the spray tar stuff.

Just gonna go that route.... sounds like it's one of the better options.

Thanks for the feedback peeps.
Some Apple stuffs
Some Android stuffs
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11077 posts
4331 upvotes
engineered wrote: A guy that sprays coal tar will be the best looking and protective/longest lasting. Neither will cause cracking.
I always thought that application is more for looks, I heard some dilute the mixture... Still get the look but might not last long
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Dec 7, 2009
507 posts
330 upvotes
B-Town
TLSRULZ wrote: Idk.. they don't seal the roads.. and they get a lot more abuse from cars and weather.. looks aside never understood why we need to seal our asphalt driveways. However we don't get to use free tax $$ to constantly repave.

I'm of the not doing anything aside from washing it whenever I wash the cars.
Asphalt sealer used on driveways was never designed for roads. There are specific products for that application - like Liquid Road.
Dec 7, 2009
507 posts
330 upvotes
B-Town
If he's spraying it then it's likely not coal tar. Coal tar is quite thick and when sprayed it has A LOT of overspray, thus not good in a residential setting. Typically, the sprayed sealers are an oil based product. Not as durable. Coal tar and another sealing product classification, asphalt emulsion, are put down with squeegees and are matte black. The stuff you buy at big box stores are asphalt emulsions with a small percentage of coal tar.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5865 posts
1348 upvotes
rural ontario
Many years ago I did it myself with something from HomeDepot, it looked good for a year then vanished pretty quick over winter. Some guy came to the door and sprayed something on it and it looked good for 3 years.

Compared to my neightbours driveways that have never been treated, mine still looks alot better after the coating dissipates . I have kids with leaky cars and it really makes a difference keeping the liquids from destroying the driveway.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22552 upvotes
GTA
blexann wrote: I always thought that application is more for looks, I heard some dilute the mixture... Still get the look but might not last long
I always heard the same, but my neighbour
ManInTheBurbs wrote: If he's spraying it then it's likely not coal tar. Coal tar is quite thick and when sprayed it has A LOT of overspray, thus not good in a residential setting. Typically, the sprayed sealers are an oil based product. Not as durable. Coal tar and another sealing product classification, asphalt emulsion, are put down with squeegees and are matte black. The stuff you buy at big box stores are asphalt emulsions with a small percentage of coal tar.
You're right, I haven't done mine, but the guy that did my neighbours poured and squeegeed. It had a nice matte finish. I had another neighbour that had theirs sprayed ended up with a thin, glossy finish that didn't last long.